Who said Ronald Reagan was 'a useful idiot for Soviet propaganda'

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Who said Ronald Reagan was 'a useful idiot for Soviet propaganda' and who wrote in 1888 "Four years ago, many people considered Reagan a keeper of the Cold War flame,.. Time flies. For conservatives, Ronald Reagan's foreign policy has produced much surprise, but little delight."

:eusa_whistle:

Today: I saw little school children on the televison who were at the Reagan Library. These children were being brainwashed. They were asked to repeatedly ape the misunderstood words of Reagan when he asked, as others before him had...to tear down the wall. WTF, indoctrination all over the so called liberal media and nobody is going apeshit over it?

First--Reagan was nobodies idiot. I msy not agree with his domestic policies, but his Diplomatic abilities and use of politics was exceptional.

Second, that may be true for conservatives, but not for our nation or the world. In fact, why didn't Reagan win the nobel peace prize? (Considering that Obama won one, should not Thatcher, Pope John Paul II, Yeltsin, Gorbachev and all the anti-communist revolutionary leaders of Eastern Europe have a couple on their bookshelves?)

"Tear down this wall" is misunderstood?

Sure. Who exactly was Reagan speaking to? Was he really asking the East German government or the Soviet leader to tear down the wall? Was that a new concept or was he just rephrasing what others leaders from many countries had said before?

Why was the right so upset with Reagan for being nice to the Soviet leader? Like Reagan's talk about deficits and smaller government, his speach in Berlin was nothing but window dressing: nothing. The right is rewriting history with teh ass-istance of a lazy media.

First--Reagan was nobodies idiot. I msy not agree with his domestic policies, but his Diplomatic abilities and use of politics was exceptional.

Second, that may be true for conservatives, but not for our nation or the world. In fact, why didn't Reagan win the nobel peace prize? (Considering that Obama won one, should not Thatcher, Pope John Paul II, Yeltsin, Gorbachev and all the anti-communist revolutionary leaders of Eastern Europe have a couple on their bookshelves?)

Good question. Damn good question.

Reagan was not the reason the Berlin wall fell?

and as far as why others win or do not win a Nobel, it is irrelevant to the fact that the Reagan myth is as full of baloney as he was in real life.

Sure. Who exactly was Reagan speaking to? Was he really asking the East German government or the Soviet leader to tear down the wall? Was that a new concept or was he just rephrasing what others leaders from many countries had said before?

Why was the right so upset with Reagan for being nice to the Soviet leader? Like Reagan's talk about deficits and smaller government, his speach in Berlin was nothing but window dressing: nothing. The right is rewriting history with teh ass-istance of a lazy media.

Window dressing LOL.

Must suck to be so wrong and so publicly too.

Good question. Damn good question.

One of the dumbest questions ever raised at USMB. :cuckoo:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtYdjbpBk6A]YouTube - Reagan at Brandenburg Gate - "tear down this wall"[/ame]

Watch and learn

Uhh-ohh!! You have done it now!!​

Now all the Right wing drones are going to jump on you and exclaim that "Reagan killed communisim with a speech" and other nonsense BS that does not acknowledge all the work that went on behind the scenes nor the situations at the time!!

All I can say is prepare yourself!! I feel sorry for you.

Window dressing LOL.

Must suck to be so wrong and so publicly too.
try addressing the main post, the thread starter and maybe read what is posted below and tell me where you find fault...that is if you can. :eusa_whistle:

wrong, moi? :lol:

To many American conservatives, the answer to those questions is simple: Reagan stared down the Soviet Union. And the Berlin Wall speech stands as the dramatic symbol of Reagan's challenge and triumph.

But those who say this ignore the actual history and context of the speech. In fact, Reagan's address served the purpose of shoring up public support as he moved to upgrade American relations with the Soviet Union. It was Reagan's diplomacy with Soviet President Mikhail S. Gorbachev, bitterly opposed at the time by his conservative former supporters, that did the most to create the climate in which the Cold War could end.

By the time Reagan delivered his Berlin Wall speech, in June 1987, he had already held two summits with Gorbachev and was moving toward two more. He was in negotiations for the arms-control treaty he signed later that year. In fact, during Reagan's second term, he met five times with Gorbachev, more than any other American president had met a Soviet leader during the Cold War.

When Reagan won Senate ratification of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, it was the first arms-control treaty with the Soviets to win approval in 15 years. At a 1988 summit in Moscow, Reagan backed away from his famous remark five years earlier that the Soviet Union was an "evil empire." He told reporters: "That was another time, another era."

Reagan's conciliatory policies toward the Soviets provoked anguished and increasingly bitter denunciations from the right wing.

Howard Phillips of the Conservative Caucus branded Reagan "a useful idiot for Soviet propaganda." Conservative columnist George Will pounded away at Reagan for having changed. "Four years ago, many people considered Reagan a keeper of the Cold War flame," he wrote in 1988. "Time flies. For conservatives, Ronald Reagan's foreign policy has produced much surprise, but little delight." Even Reagan's vice president, George H.W. Bush -- when he ran for president in 1988 -- suggested that Reagan had gone too far in his diplomacy with the Soviet leader.

The Berlin Wall speech produced an intense fight within the Reagan administration. The speech was drafted by a young White House speechwriter, Peter Robinson, and was cleared by Reagan's domestic advisors. Reagan's foreign policy advisors balked at the "Mr. Gorbachev" line. They worried that it might undermine Gorbachev's political position in Moscow, making him the target of hard-line elements within the Soviet leadership and weakening his ability to reach out to the West.
- Reagan backed off the Soviet union being an Evil Empire. :lol:

Libruls still can't come to term with the fact that they don't control the media.

A few clicks and there's Reagan telling Gorby to "tear down this wall"

Uhh-ohh!! You have done it now!!​

Now all the Right wing drones are going to jump on you and exclaim that "Reagan killed communisim with a speech" and other nonsense BS that does not acknowledge all the work that went on behind the scenes nor the situations at the time!!

All I can say is prepare yourself!! I feel sorry for you.
Ronald Reagan was not the primary reason why the wall fell. He was a late contributor (and some would say convert to liberal policies) to a long effort to expose the Soviets to western influences.

Reagan was not the reason the Berlin wall fell?

and as far as why others win or do not win a Nobel, it is irrelevant to the fact that the Reagan myth is as full of baloney as he was in real life.

No--not just him. But he did much to help transform Eastern Europe from the Soviet Bloc nations to Independent Republics.

The speech--yeah, it was mostly propaganda. It gave the impression that the Russians were behind the division of Germany when in truth we(under FDR) help break it apart.

Good piece of Propaganda that was believed to be true among many Americans before Reagan gave that speech.

Libruls still can't come to term with the fact that they don't control the media.

A few clicks and there's Reagan telling Gorby to "tear down this wall"

Reagan is also on tape explaing that he did not trade arms for hostages and then again saying his mind and his heart were in conflict of the naked and ugly truth---he did lie and he did trade arms for hostages.

Boy I sure would like a Ronald Reagan right now to straighten out this economy. Ol Fucknuts in the White House right now only talks about taxes.I don't think he's got a clue. Mayby he should go back and see what Reagan and JFK did to get the economy going. Oh Wait, Reagan was a Rep he couldn't possibly have had a good idea in the 8 years he was in office. I voted for that man twice and Jimmy Carter once, God forgive me.

Well..........what do you expect from someone with Alzheimer's disease?

I wonder if his presidency would have been different if he would have read the LaGuardia Report which was commissioned by Nixon concerning cannabis.

In there, it showed that cannabis can help slow down Alzheimer's.

Maybe he would have remembered more of what he said during his presidency if he'd had a couple of joints.

Forum List

Back