Who "owns" your medical records?

When I call the doctor and ask for my granddaughter's shot record, to get a copy ready for school, they politely ask me if I would like it mailed to me or will I be in to pick it up.
Of course, she has had the same doctor since birth, and she is now 12.
But all doctors differ I reckon, but I would think any parent/guardian would be allowed access to their child's records.
I also know, in the event of a death, if the deceased person has signed that a certain person can obtain all their medical records and X-rays and stuff after their death, that is allowed as well.
I know because Mother put me down, and after she passed, I went to the hospital and asked for ALL her records and X-rays and CAT scans. I still have them.

Last edited:
Just thinking about the question you guys carry on with the help.

I think the medical records are the property of the Doctor, its their records of "you".

Now everyone has showed you the law butt thats only when the questions about "copies" of the records of you are the issue.

On the downside if you piss off the office staff "your" records might get washed away in a "flood"...so dont act to upidy cause of some "law"

Dont axe me how i know

:eusa_angel:

I think the medical records are the property of the Doctor, its their records of "you".

Now everyone has showed you the law butt thats only when the questions about "copies" of the records of you are the issue.

On the downside if you piss off the office staff "your" records might get washed away in a "flood"...so dont act to upidy cause of some "law"

Dont axe me how i know

I'm axeing you...how do you know?? :tongue:

I do agree however, when we ask for "records" we are indeed, only getting the copies, the doctors/hospitals do keep the original shit. That's fine by me, but when I want the records I ask for, I expect the records I ask for.

Recently I asked for copies of my blood tests I had done. They said I had to ask the doctor. I said no...THEY had the records and they were MINE. They declined. I said if they didn't hand them over, I would climb over the counter and rifle thru every cabinet I could find until I find mine. They handed them over within 3 minutes.

Dont axe me how i know

CEO my ass. If you are one, I am Snow White and we all know I ain't Snow Fucking White.

Dont axe me how i know

Fascinating. YOU "think" records belong to the doctor, so screw the federal law that SPECIFICALLY states that medical records about you belong to YOU.

I can't even imagine what the hell you think all that babble about "copies" has to do with anything.

And I'm just speechless at the notion that you think we should all disregard the existence of the law and our rights because you have some odd notion that doctors' offices and their staffs can get away with screwing around with our records if we dare to exert our rights. One wonders if you also would forego your Miranda rights on arrest because you believe the police can fuck you over if you get "uppity" about "some law" saying you have a right to an attorney. :cuckoo:

I'll try to keep the words simple here: the law says your medical records are yours. The law says you can access your records whenever you want. The law says the doctor's office CAN'T "wash away your records" if you get "uppity". Any doctor or office worker so stupid and unprofessional could and would be sued out of the profession.

YOU are a dumbass.

Recently I asked for copies of my blood tests I had done. They said I had to ask the doctor. I said no...THEY had the records and they were MINE. They declined. I said if they didn't hand them over, I would climb over the counter and rifle thru every cabinet I could find until I find mine. They handed them over within 3 minutes.

That's nuts. Like the doctor handles his own filing? :eusa_hand:

Im sorry a pipe burst and took out our hard drives, nuking all your records, im sure a lawyer will take the case pro bono, have a great day.

Im sorry a pipe burst and took out our hard drives, nuking all your records, im sure a lawyer will take the case pro bono, have a great day.

Does the term "computer back-up" ring any bells with you, Mensa Boy? How about "hard copies"? Are you actually laboring under the delusion that doctors' offices have only one copy of your records in existence? You literally get more ignorant every time you talk.

Fascinating. YOU "think" records belong to the doctor, so screw the federal law that SPECIFICALLY states that medical records about you belong to YOU.

I

Still do "think" it:

The Privacy Rule gives you, with few exceptions, the right to inspect, review, and receive a copy of your medical records and billing records that are held by health plans and health care providers covered by the Privacy Rule.

Doesnt say the patient "owns" the records, its one link on the first page maybe you could show me the law that says what you said it said, thanks in advance

Does the term "computer back-up" ring any bells with you, Mensa Boy? How about "hard copies"? Are you actually laboring under the delusion that doctors' offices have only one copy of your records in existence? You literally get more ignorant every time you talk.

Have i mentioned what a pleasure it is chatting with you yet :eusa_whistle:

Personally, at that moment I would have told them I needed the records because I was no longer doing business with their facility; and that I'd be there in half an hour to pick them up for the entire family.

Exactly. They cannot by law deny you a copy of your records for ANY reason.

Hi All
As far as I know, medical records are still under the Privacy Act of 1974, As Amended. You can search for it as such or as Title 5 U.S. Code 552a.
If you file a Privacy Act request also quote the Freedom of Information Act of 1966, at Title 5 U.S. Code 552.
By quoting both statutes, you will have more legal power, than if you only quote one or the other. They are both interesting laws and worth reading. If your library has law books, look for West's Annotated U.S. Code (with Cumulative Annual Pocket Parts), it contains thumbnail sketches of court decisions - absolutely fascinating and informative.
Russ

Last edited:

Forum List

Back