Who "owns" your medical records?

There's one small problem though. He's 18 now. That didn't come up in the conversation, but I have a feeling it will when I pull out the HIPPA stuff.

Nothing's simple. Two wonderful pediatricians who treated my kids since they were born sold out to CHOP with different docs every time we go. It's all about da money now.

There's one small problem though. He's 18 now. That didn't come up in the conversation, but I have a feeling it will when I pull out the HIPPA stuff.

Nothing's simple. Two wonderful pediatricians who treated my kids since they were born sold out to CHOP with different docs every time we go. It's all about da money now.
Funny, I was sort of wondering if he was a minor.

Yesterday I tried to get a copy of my son's immunization record and was told they would not release them without a "well child" visit. I scheduled one, but I'm still ticked about it.

Is it legal to withhold that information?
I said to the secretary I was only interested in a receipt for what I HAD ALREADY PAID FOR!

Comments?

What they did was a violation of HIPAA. Federal law says that you have a right to access to your medical records - or, in this case, the medical records of your minor child - whenever you request them, and you CERTAINLY do not have to have a doctor's visit of any sort.

I would report them to the proper authorities: Office of Civil Rights, 1-866-627-7748.

Yesterday I tried to get a copy of my son's immunization record and was told they would not release them without a "well child" visit. I scheduled one, but I'm still ticked about it.

I said to the secretary I was only interested in a receipt for what I HAD ALREADY PAID FOR!

Comments?

There are a sufficient number of con artists on the planet that it is understandable that a person is being asked to prove they are not one.

While the law does require the person requesting the records to prove that they have a legal right to access them, it does NOT require bringing the child in for a "well-child visit" first.

Thank you everyone. That all makes sense. I am calling the insurance co. on Monday. The office was pissed off because my son has been getting his annual sports physicals elsewhere. The woman said "get the records from them" My rebuttal was "He doesn't need a physical. He got the shots from you". I'm not sure if my ins. will even cover the visit because it hasn't been a year since his last physical. It's b.s. If the ins. co. says they won't pay, I will demand the records and bring a copy of your responses with me.

I love this board! You guys are great!

Wow! The worker was way out of line and has gotten a bit too big for her britches. I'd let the physicians know about her behavior. Even if they are aware of her behavior, physicians know they have to comply with HIPAA regulations and I bet if you raise a stink they'll change their tune.

Comments?

In California, you have a right to your medical records - they MUST give them to you.

if is 18 and considered an adult, he can sign for his own records. And, if he's 18 and considered an adult...the 'well child' visit doesn't hold water.

It's all BS if you ask me. It gets even more ridiculous because the stupid colleges all require their own forms - they don't want a printout or a copy of his HS form. A few years ago I was taking graduate courses at two different schools and submitted a photocopy to Rutgers of the GCC form. They wouldn't take it. I had to go back to the same doctor and get him to rewrite the exact same thing on a different letterhead. Nothing's simple!

You actually don't need an immunization record per se. We moved when my kids were in junior high and by the time they got to college the pediatrician's office refused to send records because they had all been 'archived.'

I just took them and had titers drawn. A titer is a blood test that shows whether there are enough antibodies in the system for immunity. When I was teaching in a nursing school, a lot of my students also had to get titers due to lost recordes.

It may cost you a litte, but you can get titers for about anything. Most likely all they are wanting measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), and possiblly hepatitis B. If it is for college, your insurance may pay. Or you may be able to get them at the college clinic.. You can check in advance.

The reason, most likely, they want you to bring him in is so he can sign under his own authority and get his records, as he IS 18 now. Because he is no longer a minor they legally can't give them to you unless you are the administrator of his estate. God forbid.

Last edited:

Can you have his present doc request his records for you?

Can you have his present doc request his records for you?

The young man himself would still have to authorize it.

Isn't that a hoot too? Gotta keep my kids on my insurance til they're 27 but I can't talk to their doctors.

Oh and the damn college wants 35 bucks to process the health form. 50K tuition and they try to nickel and dime ya with stupid shit. How about if they charge us 50,035 for tuition? Makes me nuts. I'm in a foul mood today. Errrr!

Isn't that a hoot too? Gotta keep my kids on my insurance til they're 27 but I can't talk to their doctors.

Oh and the damn college wants 35 bucks to process the health form. 50K tuition and they try to nickel and dime ya with stupid shit. How about if they charge us 50,035 for tuition? Makes me nuts. I'm in a foul mood today. Errrr!

I don't think you are required to keep them on your insurance.

No I'm not required to but they would have to buy it themselves ie. mom and dad. Lol

It's just frustrating. I've had to jump through hoops to get bills paid for my other son who is away at college. I love when they say they have to get his "ok" over the phone - like they really know who they are talking to. Note to self : practice man voice.

No I'm not required to but they would have to buy it themselves ie. mom and dad. Lol

It's just frustrating. I've had to jump through hoops to get bills paid for my other son who is away at college. I love when they say they have to get his "ok" over the phone - like they really know who they are talking to. Note to self : practice man voice.

Is there any reason why your sons cannot obtain the billing information and give it to you? When mine were in college, that is what I had my kids do. If I was going to pay the bill, the least they could do was get me the information. After all, college IS about their learning to become independent.

As to insurance, I don't know what you pay, but there are some policies available through the schools that are VERY reasonable. When I got my masters, I had to quit full time work and I got a family policy for a very reasonable sum. When I was teaching, insurance where I taught was not a requirement. Sadly, the school did not distribute any policy information. But while I was there I just went to the registrar's office and got the information for my students. They were SO glad to have major medical for themselves and their children.

My childrens' schools did not 'nickel and dime' me to death. I paid tuition, room and board, and books. They had to work to pay everything else.

Doctor's offices will lie to you. You can't trust them with everything. One great example people don't know is: you don't have to give them your Social Security Number. It'll be on the form, and if you leave it blank they'll more than likely prod you to give it to them. They may even threaten that your insurance company wont cover the visit without it.

It's illegal for your insurance company to do so. I never give any office my SSN, MAYBE my last 4 numbers if they're being a huge pain in the ass, but never the full thing-and I've never been denied my insurance's portion from paying. (I do this because knowing somebody's who's been a victim of identity theft before-I'm very very protective of my information-you never know).

Is there any reason why your sons cannot obtain the billing information and give it to you? When mine were in college, that is what I had my kids do. If I was going to pay the bill, the least they could do was get me the information. After all, college IS about their learning to become independent.

As to insurance, I don't know what you pay, but there are some policies available through the schools that are VERY reasonable. When I got my masters, I had to quit full time work and I got a family policy for a very reasonable sum. When I was teaching, insurance where I taught was not a requirement. Sadly, the school did not distribute any policy information. But while I was there I just went to the registrar's office and got the information for my students. They were SO glad to have major medical for themselves and their children.

My childrens' schools did not 'nickel and dime' me to death. I paid tuition, room and board, and books. They had to work to pay everything else.

I have a pretty good family policy through work. I'll probably keep the boys on it until they get a full time job with benefits. I don't have a problem taking care of their educational and health expenses. They work to pay for other things. But if I am going to be responsible, I think I should have access to the info I need. I liken it to a co-signer on a car. If the loan is in my name, I need to know if the bills are being paid.

There must be a waiver on the HIPPA forms that says I can get that info. I know I've listed my husband for myself. I wonder if the docs comply with that.

I had to request a waiver to see my son's grades, even though I was paying the bill. The school solicitor's office said I was the only parent who requested it. Nothing's simple. :lol:

I have a pretty good family policy through work. I'll probably keep the boys on it until they get a full time job with benefits. I don't have a problem taking care of their educational and health expenses. They work to pay for other things. But if I am going to be responsible, I think I should have access to the info I need. I liken it to a co-signer on a car. If the loan is in my name, I need to know if the bills are being paid.

There must be a waiver on the HIPPA forms that says I can get that info. I know I've listed my husband for myself. I wonder if the docs comply with that.

I had to request a waiver to see my son's grades, even though I was paying the bill. The school solicitor's office said I was the only parent who requested it. Nothing's simple. :lol:

Yes, those waivers do exist, but your son has to sign them as he is of age now. He can just as easily refuse.

Just because you pay the bill doesn't give you any privilege to see confidential information like grades or medical records. That is across the board on many other things as well. One thing is med mal insurance. The lawyer works for the client, not the insurance company. Therefore the company has no right to see any pleadings, negotiations, or other items. In your case, you are not the client, your son is. Who pays the bills has no bearing on that legal fact. A third party payer is not entitled to do anything but pay the bill.

With health insurance there are certain covered expenses and the insurance company has to know what your services were. But the employer, who PAYS the majority of the premium, has no access to any of it. There are people out there, though, who are so paranoid about it that if they need mental health treatment, they will go to a provider and pay cash for it. I have a couple of friends who do 'cash only' work and seem to be booked up all the time.

We have no secrets when it comes to health issues. In fact, I don't get the whole super secret stigma attached to medical info. Certainly most people don't want their STD info out there, but I could tell you just about every other medical condition of my co-workers. Seems it's all people talk about. Yawn...

And as far as grades go, I'd rather see an "opt out" rather than the ridiculous "opt in". A college education is a huge investment. Investors have the right to know if their money is being spent on studying or beer. We have freshman orientation tomorrow. My first question will be "Where are the forms?" Lol

We have no secrets when it comes to health issues. In fact, I don't get the whole super secret stigma attached to medical info. Certainly most people don't want their STD info out there, but I could tell you just about every other medical condition of my co-workers. Seems it's all people talk about. Yawn...

And as far as grades go, I'd rather see an "opt out" rather than the ridiculous "opt in". A college education is a huge investment. Investors have the right to know if their money is being spent on studying or beer. We have freshman orientation tomorrow. My first question will be "Where are the forms?" Lol

I think if you had ever been denied housing, employment, or fired due to a medical condition, the logic of confidentiality would come home to you.

Also, you are not the customer of the university. Your son is. And there are federal laws that apply. It is not some giant plot to withhold information.

As I said the payer is not the customer unless the payer is also the student.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Forum List

Back