Who "owns" your medical records?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by chanel, Jul 23, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Yesterday I tried to get a copy of my son's immunization record and was told they would not release them without a "well child" visit. I scheduled one, but I'm still ticked about it.

Is it legal to withhold that information?
    I said to the secretary I was only interested in a receipt for what I HAD ALREADY PAID FOR!

Comments?

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,416
    I was recently given immunization info over the phone. Maybe the policy differs from state to state.

3. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Ideally, you'd have total access to a personal health record electronically--a record that doesn't sit in a folder in some physician's office somewhere but rather one in which access (permissions) is controlled by you. That's still at least a few years away for most of us. Are your son's records paper?

4. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    There are a sufficient number of con artists on the planet that it is understandable that a person is being asked to prove they are not one.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  5. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,307
    I thought HIPAA gave you the right to receive a copy. :confused:

Your Medical Records

Sounds like the doctor just bought a new Mercedes and needs to make a payment. I guess a well child visit wouldn't hurt.

6. lilbug

lilbug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    From HIPAA...

United States Department of Health and Human Services

The HIPAA Privacy Rule may limit how a covered entity (for example, a health plan or most health care providers) uses or discloses individually identifiable health information, but does not prevent individuals, themselves, from gathering medical information about their family members or from deciding to share this information with family members or others, including their health care providers. Thus, individuals are free to provide their doctors with a complete family medical history or communicate with their doctors about conditions that run in the family.

The Privacy Rule generally allows a parent to have access to the medical records about his or her child, as his or her minor child’s personal representative when such access is not inconsistent with State or other law.

There are three situations when the parent would not be the minor’s personal representative under the Privacy Rule. These exceptions are:
    When the minor is the one who consents to care and the consent of the parent is not required under State or other applicable law;
    1. When the minor obtains care at the direction of a court or a person appointed by the court;
    3. When, and to the extent that, the parent agrees that the minor and the health care provider may have a confidential relationship.

The doctor's office did not actually deny you access, they just imposed their own stipulation to your access to them. You probably could have pressed the issue and gotten them without the well child visit.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. lilbug

lilbug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    There is obviously a history here where her relationship with the child has already been established, but simply providing identification clears this up.

8. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    I hope you took the child in for a "well child" visit.

9. lilbug

lilbug Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Why?

10. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,130
    If the school had requested the records would the office release the records to them?

I think it's bull that they are making you come in for a well visit in order to get a copy of your son's imm. records. When they give you a copy of them make a copy for yourself to keep.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1