Who may have influenced your world views when you were younger?

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Pope Francis, HH the Dalai Lama. Each is a role model for non-violence.

Can you think of others?

How did they affect you?

As a Catholic school kid this kind of image had a big effect on me.

at-the-head-of-the-march-nuns-priests-and-civil-rights-leaders-leave-picture-id507992198

Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Red Skelton

They taught me honesty, and humor

Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Pope Francis, HH the Dalai Lama. Each is a role model for non-violence.

Can you think of others?

How did they affect you?

Yes but they're not famous names.
My Uncle Buddy for one. In all the time I knew him over his 90 years I never once ever saw him in a state of anger or even frustration. Literally, ever.

Those political tests that put you on a four-axis map usually place me right there with Ghandi. I'm always honored and humbled by that, and as long as I land there I figure I'm on the right track.

My grandma. She wasn't a renowned figure, so maybe she won't count, but she taught me
tolerance (It takes all kinds to make this world)
pity and mercy (There but for the Grace of God go I)
not to criticize (If you can't say something good, say nothing at all)
All of those things influenced my view of the people on this planet.

My dear artist friend "M" for another. Several years older than me, wisest person I've ever met, with a sneaky sense of humor. I keep recalling a single short incident -- one day we're out walking in the woods; as we pass by a particular bush she rips off a leaf, hands it to me and says "eat that".

Cool, I figure, another life lesson -- M is well versed in flora and fauna and in the ways of Nature. I'm going to learn another herbal remedy of some sort. She's already taught me much.

So I chew down the plant material, it's bitter. "OK, I ate it. So what was that?"

M says, "I have no idea". :rofl:

I got my life lesson but not the one I was expecting.

The baseball pitcher/philosopher Joachin Andujar, who pronounced a truism that applies to so much -- he said:

"Baseball can be summed up in one word, and that one word is: 'you never know'".

Can you think of others?

How did they affect you?

Rod Serling, Boris Karloff, Jonny Quest, Charlton Heston's Moses ...

Oh. You mean older than seven?

Went to Catholic schools forever. The Catholic part never quite took.

Erik VinDannakin (probably misspelled).

He was the author of "Chariots of the Gods". When I was a mostly stoned, wayward teenager, and Democrat, he convinced me that aliens visited this planet and were responsible for the various religions around the world. I became an atheist in the spot.

What was the must influential part was when I found out it was 100% bull shit. When I saw how badly I was taken for a ride, I vowed never to be fooled again. Which led me to conservatism and a love of truth and knowledge. All that led to a life of success as an adult.

Can you think of others?

How did they affect you?

For me, unfortunately Louis Farrakhan was a very strong influence in my youth.
So you came to not trust him after awhile.

First, he came into my home once in a shady kind of way, then I heard him say that the murder of Malcolm X is not the business of all Blacks, while Malcolm X was a servant of all Blacks. Those things changed my view about him and my life's involvement with him.

Forum List

Back