Who Makes A Worse Role-model For Italians. Jersey Shore Or The Sopranos?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
jersey-shore-cast.jpeg
Sopranos_Cast.jpg

I remember the uproar about the Sopranos back a few years ago. How the show gave everybody the wrong idea about Italian/Americans.

Seems the Jersey Shore show is a bunch of Italians acting like prostitutes, and kids seem to think that what they do is like gospel, or in their words, really fetch.

I'd be willing to bet that somebody is gonna say Jersey Shore is so yesterday. That in itself is what's wrong with Americans. They are too into fads to stay on anything. You have to be cool to be accepted. I'd also be willing to bet somebody is gonna say there are more important things to be thinking about. I guess our future is pretty important, and our kids are our future. And judging by the show, our future is screwed.

I don't watch the show much myself,(I change the channel by the first commercial) but it seems alot of kids do, and they seem to think that it's cool to act like the mindless bimbos on the show.

I just wanted to float this and see what everyone was thinking.

Last edited:
Definitely Jersey Shore, the whole drunken guido ignorant thing has no counter while the Soprano's at least had a characters like Dr. Melfi who was Italian and a decent human being.

Being a 2nd generation Sicilian-American(I dont call myself that), I'd say both! The Jersey Shore morons are an embarrassment and the guido's on The Sopranos are as ficticious as it gets...

Being a 2nd generation Sicilian-American(I dont call myself that), I'd say both! The Jersey Shore morons are an embarrassment and the guido's on The Sopranos are as ficticious as it gets...

Which part is ficticious?

The part about organized crime in New Jersey, or the part about them having families and responsibilities?

Like being a materialistic and personally selfish boob or a member of organized crime is exclusively or somehow especially an Italian problem?!

I don't think so.

At least the Sopranos taught that there are consequences for one's actions.

The part about organized crime in New Jersey, or the part about them having families and responsibilities?

Ok, maybe "as ficticious as it gets" was too broad a term... You're right orgainized crime still exests in Jersey and Italian-americans are known for their tight family bonds(hey at least that's a positive) but damn how often do they(Italian-Americans) have to be protrayed as the loud mouthed, obnoxious, lustful, gangsters?

Funny thing is though, this really doesn't bother me... I could give a rat's ass what people think about Italians/Sicilians for I'm my own person and should be judged by my own merits and contributions.

Ok, maybe "as ficticious as it gets" was too broad a term... You're right orgainized crime still exests in Jersey and Italian-americans are known for their tight family bonds(hey at least that's a positive) but damn how often do they(Italian-Americans) have to be protrayed as the loud mouthed, obnoxious, lustful, gangsters?

Funny thing is though, this really doesn't bother me... I could give a rat's ass what people think about Italians/Sicilians for I'm my own person and should be judged by my own merits and contributions.

I think you have stumbled upon my point.

Personally I think Snookie provides a worse example because she's what our kids want to be.

Personally I think Snookie provides a worse example because she's what our kids want to be.

Not mine. MTV is one of several blocked channels in our house. +1 for Comcast's parental controls option. ;)

What do you expect about a station that has other classic shows like Teen Mom and Da Skins!

Worse Role Models? Oh, the ones breaking the Law and killing people I'd say.

Forum List

Back