Who leads GOP? Murdoch called Cameron over IRAQ

francoHFW

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2011
NY 26th FINALLY DEM!
Campbell diaries: Murdoch 'called Blair over Iraq' The claims are made in the latest instalment of the serialisation of Alastair Campbell's diaries Continue reading the main story

Cameron is tainted PM - Miliband Major reveals Murdoch's EU demand Blair defends Murdoch friendship Rupert Murdoch called Tony Blair urging him not to delay the invasion of Iraq, former Number 10 communications chief Alastair Campbell has said.

The claim is made in the latest part of Mr Campbell's diaries, which are being serialised in the Guardian newspaper.

Mr Campbell said there were three calls in March 2003, a week before a crucial vote on Iraq in the House of Commons.

News Corp is understood to be stressing Mr Murdoch has never denied trying to influence politicians on public policy.

But the company has denied claims Mr Murdoch lobbied Mr Blair on behalf of US Republicans, describing them as "complete rubbish" and unsubstantiated.

The media boss previously told the Leveson inquiry he "never asked a prime minister for anything".

Mr Campbell told BBC Radio 4's Today programme any suggestion that Mr Murdoch was lobbying on the behalf of the Republican party "really does overstate it".

"I don't think there was anything inappropriate about him saying what he did," he said.

'Over-crude diplomacy'

"Everybody knew that Rupert Murdoch was very supportive of the Iraq war."

And he stressed that he was not accusing the media mogul of any "collusion".

Continue reading the main story
Analysis
Peter Henley

Political correspondent, BBC News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Combine three words - Blair, Murdoch, Iraq - and the result has to be a front page newspaper headline.

So the Guardian's serialisation of Alastair Campbell's diaries produces a storm, but has it really told us any more about the influence of the press on public policy? Or where the line should be drawn in deciding what is undue influence?

The entry for 11 March 2003 recalls that Tony Blair was irritated by the call. He saw it as part of pressure from Republicans in Washington. Campbell concludes it is "over-crude lobbying".

But many would argue, in its leading articles and opinion columns, that is a newspapers' stock-in-trade.

Where it would cross the line is if Murdoch had asked for commercial advantage - something he denies in the memorable phrase "I never asked a prime minister for anything".
But former Liberal Democrat leader Sir Menzies Campbell said: "Why on earth would Rupert Murdoch ring Tony Blair three times in the week before the invasion of Iraq if he was not trying to influence the British prime minister?"

He said Mr Murdoch's intervention was "clearly designed to steer Tony Blair in the direction of those in the United States, including Bush, who were determined to take action against Saddam Hussein and to ignore illegality".

Alistair Campbell said Mr Murdoch's phone call came at a time when Mr Blair was under pressure which meant it provoked a sense of mild irritation in the then prime minister.

He worked closely with Mr Blair during the latter's time as prime minister.

He was Mr Blair's communications chief from 1997 to 2003.

According to Alistair Campbell's book, The Burden of Power: Countdown to Iraq, Mr Murdoch's moves were made to support Republicans in Washington.

The ex-Downing Street director of communications said the interventions from Mr Murdoch came "out of the blue".

In one call Mr Murdoch was said to have tried to pressure the then Prime Minister Mr Blair to accelerate UK military involvement in Iraq.

On 11 March 2003, Alistair Campbell wrote that Mr Blair "took a call from Murdoch who was pressing on timings, saying how News International would support us, etc".

Alistair Campbell continued: "Both TB [Tony Blair] and I felt it was prompted by Washington, and another example of their over-crude diplomacy. Murdoch was pushing all the Republican buttons, how the longer we waited the harder it got."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18468123

Speaking of Pubcrappe, I'm watching an MIA movie from 1983- What happened to all that...

Last edited:
Franco is a drive by troll, doesnt have an original thought in his head. I mean how long does it take to pick Rush or Ruppert, I mean he might be confused since his liberal buddies have said both.

It's Rush, Rupert, Beck, Savage, Hannity, Breitbart Inc, most Pubs, and all the other 83 orgs and Institutes of the 8 google pages of BS that are all on board for the dupes, dimwits. Notice the 1 hour delay on new stories before they figure out the spin? A disgrace.

Trolls lie and repeat lies- that's why they're all Pubtrolls...DUH.

Last edited:
only one leader son, so who's the top. I keep hearing Rush, but you brought up Murdoch. Just make a decision.

Leaders? Follow the money-DUH.

So Soros controls the democrats then? See I made a decision real easy, but I guess when you read various books, newsletters, papers and web sites, you dont have to rely on talking points and you can make an on spot decision.

So Soros for the liberals and who is the conservative all mighty leader? Rush, Murdoch (I'll give you just two choices, I dont want to overburden you, but if you come up with a wildcard, I'd like to hear it)

It's Rush, Rupert, Beck, Savage, Hannity, Breitbart Inc, most Pubs, and all the other 83 orgs and Institutes of the 8 google pages of BS that are all on board for the dupes, dimwits. Notice the 1 hour delay on new stories before they figure out the spin? A disgrace.

Trolls lie and repeat lies- that's why they're all Pubtrolls...DUH.

You see all that red in the upper right hand corner of your posts, it tells us that you are an ignorant troll. You probably even got neg rep from liberals.

Depending on which left wing loon you ask the leader of the GOP is:

Sarah Palin
The Tea Party
The Koch Brothers
John Boehner
Rush Limbaugh
Glenn Beck
Sean Hannity

The lefties are a joke.

Depending on which left wing loon you ask the leader of the GOP is:

Sarah Palin
The Tea Party
The Koch Brothers
John Boehner
Rush Limbaugh
Glenn Beck
Sean Hannity

The lefties are a joke.

yeah I agree, but I wanted Franco's take, and I'm still waiting, he talks about an hour, this guy takes all day. He's an useful idiot.

This will come as a shock to the Op because as we all know facts are beyond him but the leader of the GOP is drum roll please.Reince Preibus Chairman of the Republican National Committee.

So the British are under the GOP now?

When can we add those votes to the next US election?

The OP is a dumbfuck piece of shit.

And Murdoch didn't get his TV station and is taking a drubbing now. Thanks for the depression and the stupidest war EVER though...

whhaaaaaa, you gonna go home? I STILL need that answer, who is the head of the GOP? I want Franco's answer.

Forum List

Back