Who Knows The Real Reason God Destroyed Sodom?

JJJ

Rookie
Apr 24, 2012
Sometimes I wonder if I'm the first person in 3000 years who figured this one out. We name U.S. laws prohibiting alleged sexual sin after Sodom, and named an STD after Gommorah. But God destroyed those cities for a reason other than sexual misconduct. The real reason is unmistakeably clear, based on reliable Scripture in the Bible, but won't be found where you expect to find it. Does anyone out there know the answer, or care to even take a guess? JJJ

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the first person in 3000 years who figured this one out. We name U.S. laws prohibiting alleged sexual sin after Sodom, and named an STD after Gommorah. But God destroyed those cities for a reason other than sexual misconduct. The real reason is unmistakeably clear, based on reliable Scripture in the Bible, but won't be found where you expect to find it. Does anyone out there know the answer, or care to even take a guess? JJJ

I was hoping you'd leave the question completely open-ended so I could just post, "Buttsex?" and have a little giggle. But no, you had to beat me to the punch.:(

Another answer, then. Because he was being a dick? This isn't meant as a troll. I'm sure you were looking for the sin that Sodom committed, but whatever that sin is, there had to be people there (the children, maybe) who, even if they -all- came right out of the womb and committed this sin immediately, surely didn't know any better? Who annihilates a kid (or a city's worth of kids) for a misstep of which they're not even aware? Survey says: A dick!

Very similar situation to that Easter South Park a couple weeks ago. Cartman has this dream that he's a young Egyptian prince during the plagues, and when Kyle tells him about the death of the first born sons coming, he responds with something along the lines of, "I don't believe you! God would never do that! He's not a dick!" Not a great episode, but I thought that little exchange was pretty priceless.

In the OT you had angels who were assigned basically to off the city.

We're not yakking Alabama's kind of "angels among us". These dudes kicked ass.

I was hoping you'd leave the question completely open-ended so I could just post, "Buttsex?" and have a little giggle. But no, you had to beat me to the punch.:(

Another answer, then. Because he was being a dick? This isn't meant as a troll. I'm sure you were looking for the sin that Sodom committed, but whatever that sin is, there had to be people there (the children, maybe) who, even if they -all- came right out of the womb and committed this sin immediately, surely didn't know any better? Who annihilates a kid (or a city's worth of kids) for a misstep of which they're not even aware? Survey says: A dick!

When Jehovah fucked up over Noah, the ark and the whole deal he promised that he would never ever do that again.

Hence rainbows. And his promise to every beast on the earth.

Last edited:
OK, another hint. The answer is found, in unmistakeable terms, in the teachings of a major Old Testament prophet we've all heard of. I post the answer in a chapter of a book I have posted on line at deliver-us-from-evil dot com. The chapter is titled "Christmas in Sodom," and makes the case that Houston (where I live) is a modern day Sodom. And the reason God destroyed the city? Its people were richly blessed and yet mistreated the poor, which happens to be exactly consistent with Christ's warnings on what to expect on Judgment Day, in Matt. 25 and elsewhere. So my question is why am I seemingly the first person in 3000 years that has deciphered, from the Cross-word puzzle that is the Bible, this truth, in light of all the condemnation and guilt modern religion assigns to alleged sexual immorality? JJJ

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ec2Lc_jew]Saxondale - Keanu Reeves in court - YouTube[/ame]

Okay I'll guess the mind of GOD.

God destroyed those cities because sometimes GOD can be a real dick?

No?

Well it was a guess, after all.

Okay, I have a question about this event.

Why did he turns LOT'S WIFE into a pillar of salt?

What was his point in that case?

Sorry bout that,

1. You could be on to something.
2. So how does the people of Houston treat the poor?
3. We need details.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Thank you, Chesswars. Houston treats its poor miserably, as I saw from serving on the board of its largest homeless charity for 7 years. I give a lot of details in what I'm told is an entertaining chapter (laced with sarcasm) in my book called "Christmas in Sodom", which you can find at the web site I posted earlier. Details are in that chapter. To clue you further, you will find the Biblical truth about Sodom buried in the teachings of an Old Testament prophet whose name begins with "E."

I think God was having a bad day and was feeling a little bitchy. He gets like that sometimes.......thats why we need to fear him

OK, another hint. The answer is found, in unmistakeable terms, in the teachings of a major Old Testament prophet we've all heard of. I post the answer in a chapter of a book I have posted on line at deliver-us-from-evil dot com. The chapter is titled "Christmas in Sodom," and makes the case that Houston (where I live) is a modern day Sodom. And the reason God destroyed the city? Its people were richly blessed and yet mistreated the poor, which happens to be exactly consistent with Christ's warnings on what to expect on Judgment Day, in Matt. 25 and elsewhere. So my question is why am I seemingly the first person in 3000 years that has deciphered, from the Cross-word puzzle that is the Bible, this truth, in light of all the condemnation and guilt modern religion assigns to alleged sexual immorality? JJJ

That's your personal opinion. It is not based in any kind of fact except a liberal fantasm. My opinion is that Sodom and Gomorrah were filled with sin and iniquity. Those who did not practice sin did not object to those who did. The sin was accepted as normal behavior.

1 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. 2 “My lords,” he said, “please turn aside to your servant’s house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning.”
“No,” they answered, “we will spend the night in the square.”

3 But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. 4 Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. 5 They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”

6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”

9 “Get out of our way,” they replied. “This fellow came here as a foreigner, and now he wants to play the judge! We’ll treat you worse than them.” They kept bringing pressure on Lot and moved forward to break down the door.

10 But the men inside reached out and pulled Lot back into the house and shut the door. 11 Then they struck the men who were at the door of the house, young and old, with blindness so that they could not find the door.

12 The two men said to Lot, “Do you have anyone else here—sons-in-law, sons or daughters, or anyone else in the city who belongs to you? Get them out of here, 13 because we are going to destroy this place. The outcry to the LORD against its people is so great that he has sent us to destroy it.”

There is nothing at all about how the rich treated the poor. The message of the parable is that if you accept sin as acceptable and normal, you are worse than the sinner themselves. Lot and his family were saved because they did not accept sin as normal. They did not accept it. Lot offered his own daughters to keep the visiting men under his roof from being gang raped. Those in Sodom and Gommorah who did not have sinful practices themselves were not saved but were destroyed right along with the sinners because the sin was accepted by them as acceptable actions making them just as bad, if not worse than the the actual persons committing the sinful acts.

That's your personal opinion. It is not based in any kind of fact except a liberal fantasm. My opinion is that Sodom and Gomorrah were filled with sin and iniquity. Those who did not practice sin did not object to those who did. The sin was accepted as normal behavior.

1 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. 2 “My lords,” he said, “please turn aside to your servant’s house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning.”
“No,” they answered, “we will spend the night in the square.”

3 But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. 4 Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. 5 They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”

6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”

9 “Get out of our way,” they replied. “This fellow came here as a foreigner, and now he wants to play the judge! We’ll treat you worse than them.” They kept bringing pressure on Lot and moved forward to break down the door.

10 But the men inside reached out and pulled Lot back into the house and shut the door. 11 Then they struck the men who were at the door of the house, young and old, with blindness so that they could not find the door.

12 The two men said to Lot, “Do you have anyone else here—sons-in-law, sons or daughters, or anyone else in the city who belongs to you? Get them out of here, 13 because we are going to destroy this place. The outcry to the LORD against its people is so great that he has sent us to destroy it.”

There is nothing at all about how the rich treated the poor. The message of the parable is that if you accept sin as acceptable and normal, you are worse than the sinner themselves. Lot and his family were saved because they did not accept sin as normal. They did not accept it. Lot offered his own daughters to keep the visiting men under his roof from being gang raped. Those in Sodom and Gommorah who did not have sinful practices themselves were not saved but were destroyed right along with the sinners because the sin was accepted by them as acceptable actions making them just as bad, if not worse than the the actual persons committing the sinful acts.

God also killed innocent babies in Sodom and Gommorah.......how do you justify that?

Forum List

Back