Who knew!? The military didnt win WW2 vs Nazis; A single gay guy did ("Imitation Game")

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
So...the movie Imitation Game got major good reviews. I love history and movies...so no brainer. I rented it.

Let me say...the first 3/4 of the movie is really good. British civilian code breakers trying to break the German Enigma machine.

But the last bit...of course...turned to homosexuality. The lead character and guy who designed the code breaking machine...comes out as gay. Theres scenes where a detective says he cant judge him. Where the lead character compares homosexuality to how two People may like strawberries or not.

One scene has a woman telling the lead character that European cities still exist...because of him (id credit the troops who did the fighting. ..but whatever). Even implying that victory at Normandy...was a credit to the lone gay dude.

NOW I see why it got rave reviews in Hollywood. The final 1/4 part of the movie should've just led with "A single gay man is actually who defeated the Nazi Reich war machine".

So...the movie Imitation Game got major good reviews. I love history and movies...so no brainer. I rented it.

Let me say...the first 3/4 of the movie is really good. British civilian code breakers trying to break the German Enigma machine.

But the last bit...of course...turned to homosexuality. The lead character and guy who designed the code breaking machine...comes out as gay. Theres scenes where a detective says he cant judge him. Where the lead character compares homosexuality to how two People may like strawberries or not.

One scene has a woman telling the lead character that European cities still exist...because of him (id credit the troops who did the fighting. ..but whatever). Even implying that victory at Normandy...was a credit to the lone gay dude.

NOW I see why it got rave reviews in Hollywood. The final 1/4 part of the movie should've just led with "A single gay man is actually who defeated the Nazi Reich war machine".

Oh...and part of the last 1/4 of it is the gay guy being arrested in England....just for being gay. In 1951. And sentencing him to hormonal therapy.

So if you're thinking of renting it to see a fantastic WW2 thriller....move on to Brad Pitts "Fury". Because this is a gay rights public service announcement...packaged in 3/4 of a pretty good opening act.

So what would you say to Alan Turing if he was still alive and you had the chance to meet him?

This movie kicked ass. :thup:
Had me in tears.

It was pretty good until the end. I could've done without YET ANOTHER gay oppression guilt trip attempt. At least movies about black rights like Selma are up front about what you're gonna see.

This movie looks like a kick ass WW2 epic....then tricks you into the "See how mean we are to gay people!!?!?!" theme.

Meh. I.could care less if dude was gay. Just show the movie.

So what would you say to Alan Turing if he was still alive and you had the chance to meet him?

Id thank him and say he was a genius. His gayness is irrelevant.

Do you think his conviction of being gay was wrong? He lost his job, was forced into hormonal treatment, and then committed suicide. What do you think about that?

This movie kicked ass. :thup:
Had me in tears.

It was pretty good until the end. I could've done without YET ANOTHER gay oppression guilt trip attempt. At least movies about black rights like Selma are up front about what you're gonna see.

This movie looks like a kick ass WW2 epic....then tricks you into the "See how mean we are to gay people!!?!?!" theme.

Meh. I.could care less if dude was gay. Just show the movie.
I thought that at first, but walked away thinking that it was a good lesson in history start to finish, even with the Gay bit. He should have done jail time and not "therapy". That was the sad bit.

Do you think his conviction of being gay was wrong? He lost his job, was forced into hormonal treatment, and then committed suicide. What do you think about that?

I think it was wrong and stupid for Englands government to do that.

But it had nothing to do with Enigma or defeating the Nazis.

I find that the final act of the movie shamed his legacy. They shouldnt have mixed the story of this mans brilliant work with a political twist at the end. It was 6 years AFTER the war.

A true tribute to the man would be to end the movie with his triumph over Enigma. His gayness and the British governments actions years later are a whole different story.

I find that the final act of the movie shamed his legacy. They shouldnt have mixed the story of this mans brilliant work with a political twist at the end. It was 6 years AFTER the war.

A true tribute to the man would be to end the movie with his triumph over Enigma. His gayness and the British governments actions years later are a whole different story.
You want to see a movie of Alan Turing's life without the part where his country abandoned him and drove him to suicide? You don't think that's important?

While I agree that the movie should have ended with his triumph, his homosexuality was an integral part of who he was and should not have been ignored.

You want to see a movie of Alan Turing's life without the part where his country abandoned him and drove him to suicide? You don't think that's important?
It's important. It's just a different movie. This movie was not about Turing's life but about code breaking.

While I agree that the movie should have ended with his triumph, his homosexuality was an integral part of who he was and should not have been ignored.
:eek:

What?! Who are you and what have you done with Katz?!

Sorry nvm! I will reinforce this moment of being a good person. Bravo Katz :clap:
I'm often misunderstood.

While Turing's homosexuality should not be ignored, it was not a movie about a homosexual. There could well be another movie that could explore that part of his life. Just not this one.

:eek:

What?! Who are you and what have you done with Katz?!

Sorry nvm! I will reinforce this moment of being a good person. Bravo Katz :clap:
I'm often misunderstood.

While Turing's homosexuality should not be ignored, it was not a movie about a homosexual. There could well be another movie that could explore that part of his life. Just not this one.
I disagree. Movies about Lincoln end with him being assassinated. Movies about Turin should end with the absolute betrayal by his country. Future generations should know these kinds of things.

No no no. A single gay didn't fight all the battles. But I think this man was absolutely the greatest. The British were the brains and the Russians were the brawn, Americans, we were sort of blundering fools here. We got the A-Bomb mostly because of European expats. Leftovers like Einstein or Teller. Save me the hate, My father and uncles served in the Pacific. Marines and navy. I have the picture here.

Last edited:
Turing's brilliance was a weapon itself, the fact he was a sodomite, that didn't come up till' past his golden days. Funny how that works.Wasn't this about HIS accomplishments, not sexual preference, shouldn't that be all that matters? Yeah, I get it, this is ALL up in straight peoples faces. I get it. Accept, I am getting further alienated here, not getting warm and fuzzy.

I think slavery was wrong too, but at the time, that was the law.

Forum List

Back