Who killed the electric car?

Untrue, as is most of what you post. According to the American Automobile Club of America (founded in 1931) in 1911 the following automobiles were produced.

1. Ford...................................................69,762

2. Studebaker/EMF...................................26,827

3. Willys-Overland....................................18,745

4. Maxwell..............................................16,000

5. Buick..................................................13,389

6. Cadillac...............................................10,071

7. Hudson.................................................6,486

8.Chalmers................................................6,250

The average personal income was 983 dollars per year. The DOW average was 82(!) and a new car average cost was 1,130 dollars, also the median home price was $2,625. So in two to three years you could buy a brand new car. Remember there was NO INCOME TAX in 1911 so your money was your own.

In 1919 Henry Ford dropped the price of his cars down to 650 dollars and that enabled him to capture 35% of the market. But the IC vehicles were well on their way before that because they were easier to take care of then horses, didn't get sick and die, didn't have to have their poop cleaned up every day etc. etc. etc.

The biggest impediment to IC vehicles was a lack of roads. The Lincoln highway (1913) was the first coast to coast highway and it was mainly dirt.

Not that I doubt your posts, but I typically like to see things from the site itself. Would you by any chance still have access to the link you got that from? Easier than trying to Google it myself.

Immie

Oh please of course you doubt me, you're an old fraud sycophant. Don't be coy. Here is the link so you don't have to type in three words into a google search.

Note the line in red. Henry Ford reduced the price of the automobile down to where the average family could afford one through mass production technology that was ahead of his competition.

Today the primary producer of high tech batteries is China. We handed them the lead when Chevron and GM took the large capacity NiMH batteries off of the market.

If you really do not know that plastics and petro-chemicals are two of the major money makers in oil, than you really need to do some reading....

EIA Energy Kids - Oil (petroleum)

products_from_barrel_crude_oil-large.gif

Other products are for example petro-chemical feed stocks which go into making all kinds of things from plastics to some medicines and all points in between..

Which do you think is worth more a gallon of gasoline or a chemical used to make a certain kind of medical supply? one is 18% of the crude oil barrel, and the other is a mere 7% or less...

There is far more to oil than most of us realize....

His statement was that the major profits of oil companies is from Plastic products.

I don't see that in your link.

I'm not saying that I doubt what he heard, but I don't have any proof as to its accuracy or even who said it and in what context. The question is where did he hear the information that plastic products provide a majority of the profits of an oil company?

Other products may in fact be more "valuable" than oil but the costs of producing them may outweigh the benefits to the company. I don't know which is more profitable for the companies as I have not researched it, but I suspect that gasoline and other fuels are the major profit centers for oil companies based on the fact that these are the main products of those companies.

Which do you think is worth more a gallon of gasoline or a chemical used to make a certain kind of medical supply? one is 18% of the crude oil barrel, and the other is a mere 7% or less...

A gallon of gasoline or a chemical used to make a certain kind of medical supply? If one (gasoline) is 18% of a barrel of Oil and the other (other products is 7%), by the way, your percentages are wrong because according to your graph gasoline is not 18% of a barrel, it is 18 gallons produced from one barrel, but that is immaterial. Look at the "chart" of a barrel of oil from your link... it produces 18.56 gallons of gasoline, 10.31 gallons of Diesel, etc. etc. etc. Those are gallons produced not percentages. From the looks of that chart, gasoline is about 41% of a barrel, while "other products" is about 15% of a barrel.

The other products may or may not be more valuable than the gasoline that is produced. The issue at hand would be what is feasible and/or possible to produce from a barrel. If "other products" are more valuable then why would oil companies not produce only "other products"? My guess is that this is probably because they are by-products of the fuel production and can only be made after fuel production is completed and only in certain quantities.

Note: I'm not disputing what he said, just asking for information before I try and answer his question.

Immie

My bad on the percent i got ahead of myself and mixed up the gallons with percent.. The link was to a government information website for energy designed for kids.. I am sure its a simplification...

However the fact still remains, if you can get 18 gallons of one thing out of something and only 7 gallons of several other things, and those other things are such wide ranging products like plastics and such, simple logic gives the answer that the 7 gallons is in reality worth more per gallon than the 18..

No problem on the gallons/percentage confusion. I was confused at first as well. Had to look into it a little bit before I understood what it was saying.

I do, however, disagree with you on the last statement and am not at all sure where your logic comes from. You do not have enough information to know what the value of either product is. Also, since all of it can be termed a commodity, the worth of either product would change regularly.

The 7 gallons of other product may be all that the oil companies can squeeze out of a barrel of oil after producing the fuel that they want. For instance, say I am a butcher and I have a bull that I am about to butcher (I can taste the fillet mignon right now) besides the meat there are other parts of the steer that I may not be able to use, the skin can be made into leather. I do not have those skills but there is a company that tans hides down the road, so rather than discard the hide, I can sell it to the tanning company and increase my profit. The hide is not anywhere at all as valuable (to me) as the meat, but heck, I'm not going to let it go to waste if I don't have to.

And thanks for the link, it helped me to see the picture a little clearer.

Immie

His statement was that the major profits of oil companies is from Plastic products.

I don't see that in your link.

I'm not saying that I doubt what he heard, but I don't have any proof as to its accuracy or even who said it and in what context. The question is where did he hear the information that plastic products provide a majority of the profits of an oil company?

Other products may in fact be more "valuable" than oil but the costs of producing them may outweigh the benefits to the company. I don't know which is more profitable for the companies as I have not researched it, but I suspect that gasoline and other fuels are the major profit centers for oil companies based on the fact that these are the main products of those companies.

A gallon of gasoline or a chemical used to make a certain kind of medical supply? If one (gasoline) is 18% of a barrel of Oil and the other (other products is 7%), by the way, your percentages are wrong because according to your graph gasoline is not 18% of a barrel, it is 18 gallons produced from one barrel, but that is immaterial. Look at the "chart" of a barrel of oil from your link... it produces 18.56 gallons of gasoline, 10.31 gallons of Diesel, etc. etc. etc. Those are gallons produced not percentages. From the looks of that chart, gasoline is about 41% of a barrel, while "other products" is about 15% of a barrel.

The other products may or may not be more valuable than the gasoline that is produced. The issue at hand would be what is feasible and/or possible to produce from a barrel. If "other products" are more valuable then why would oil companies not produce only "other products"? My guess is that this is probably because they are by-products of the fuel production and can only be made after fuel production is completed and only in certain quantities.

Note: I'm not disputing what he said, just asking for information before I try and answer his question.

Immie

My bad on the percent i got ahead of myself and mixed up the gallons with percent.. The link was to a government information website for energy designed for kids.. I am sure its a simplification...

However the fact still remains, if you can get 18 gallons of one thing out of something and only 7 gallons of several other things, and those other things are such wide ranging products like plastics and such, simple logic gives the answer that the 7 gallons is in reality worth more per gallon than the 18..

No problem on the gallons/percentage confusion. I was confused at first as well. Had to look into it a little bit before I understood what it was saying.

I do, however, disagree with you on the last statement and am not at all sure where your logic comes from. You do not have enough information to know what the value of either product is. Also, since all of it can be termed a commodity, the worth of either product would change regularly.

The 7 gallons of other product may be all that the oil companies can squeeze out of a barrel of oil after producing the fuel that they want. For instance, say I am a butcher and I have a bull that I am about to butcher (I can taste the fillet mignon right now) besides the meat there are other parts of the steer that I may not be able to use, the skin can be made into leather. I do not have those skills but there is a company that tans hides down the road, so rather than discard the hide, I can sell it to the tanning company and increase my profit. The hide is not anywhere at all as valuable (to me) as the meat, but heck, I'm not going to let it go to waste if I don't have to.

Immie

Simple rules of supply and demand... you have less of something and a desire or need for it, and you get rarity and then increased value.. plastics from petro-chemicals is huge business. Virtually all plastics come form them... So if we can only get 7 gallons from a 42 gallon batch of oil, it will be worth more per gallon than something you can get 18 gallons of from the same source..

Immie

Simple rules of supply and demand... you have less of something and a desire or need for it, and you get rarity and then increased value.. plastics from petro-chemicals is huge business. Virtually all plastics come form them... So if we can only get 7 gallons from a 42 gallon batch of oil, it will be worth more per gallon than something you can get 18 gallons of from the same source..

Though I understand your point, it does not quite follow through, because the fact that a barrel of oil only produces 7 gallons of "other products" does not mean that it does not meet the needs of our current demands.

I have absolutely no idea how many barrels are produced daily but let me use some real generic numbers for an example. Let's pretend that 100 barrels are processed every day. From those 100 barrels we get 1856 gallons of gasoline, 1031 gallons of Diesel, etc etc etc and 701 gallons of other product. The question is, how many gallons of other product does the country need to stay ahead. If we need 1000 gallons of other product then we are not producing enough, but maybe we only need 500 gallons which means are production is surpassing our needs and we have a surplus of other product on hand and the price will be low.

That is how I look at it. Let me know if I am incorrect. The figure we would need to know is how much "other product" do wen really need?

Immie

Screw an electric car............Im never driving one.

Anyway...........Im a good American. I drive a multi-fuel vehicle. Burns rubber AND gas!!!

4373-2003-Ford-Mustang.jpg

Now.............here is the type of car driven by bfgone, Old Rocks and Shaman...........all US Message Board lefty k00ks. What do you think the chances are of ever catching me dead even being a passenger in one of these gay things?????????

CheapCarpinksmartcar-1.jpg

fcukking limpwristed fairies.................:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::funnyface::funnyface:

Last edited:
Not that I doubt your posts, but I typically like to see things from the site itself. Would you by any chance still have access to the link you got that from? Easier than trying to Google it myself.

Immie

Oh please of course you doubt me, you're an old fraud sycophant. Don't be coy. Here is the link so you don't have to type in three words into a google search.

Note the line in red. Henry Ford reduced the price of the automobile down to where the average family could afford one through mass production technology that was ahead of his competition.

Today the primary producer of high tech batteries is China. We handed them the lead when Chevron and GM took the large capacity NiMH batteries off of the market.

I was quite happy to show you that the average family could quite nicely afford a car prior to Ford dropping his prices. He kept his prices up til 1919 when he decided he wanted to increase his market share. Also his mass production methods allowed him to produce a car cheaper than his competitors. That way even the poor could afford a car. You know very little about the auto industry it seems. Roads were THE major stumbling block to automobile sales for the first 25 years of their production. Even after the income tax was introduced in 1913 people still had enough to buy cars, they just didn't for the most part till the roads got to them.

Now you have the average family making 48k a year but losing around half of that to taxes, so now we are at 24k, to buy all the things they need just to get along in life. So please educate me where in the hell is that family going to get the cash to buy a 60,000 car?

Last edited:

Immie

Though I understand your point, it does not quite follow through, because the fact that a barrel of oil only produces 7 gallons of "other products" does not mean that it does not meet the needs of our current demands.

I have absolutely no idea how many barrels are produced daily but let me use some real generic numbers for an example. Let's pretend that 100 barrels are processed every day. From those 100 barrels we get 1856 gallons of gasoline, 1031 gallons of Diesel, etc etc etc and 701 gallons of other product. The question is, how many gallons of other product does the country need to stay ahead. If we need 1000 gallons of other product then we are not producing enough, but maybe we only need 500 gallons which means are production is surpassing our needs and we have a surplus of other product on hand and the price will be low.

That is how I look at it. Let me know if I am incorrect. The figure we would need to know is how much "other product" do wen really need?

Immie

You didn't ask how much we needed to stay ahead, and further that has nothing to do with the parameters of this discussion....

Your question was about gasoline making more money than other petroleum products.. I pointed out by sheer volume attained per barrel of crude oil, gasoline is the most abundant. This usually leads to cheaper price per unit... Especially when we realize a mere 7 gallons from 42 in a barrel of oil is used to make other products, where as with gasoline at 18 gallon per barrel is far more abundant.

I didn't mention whether or not they kept up with supply needs for plastics and I fail to see how that is relevant, if the demand is higher sure the price may be more but the reality would seem to be there is at least enough to meet demand for the most part. I don't see a shortage of plastics around do you....

On a price per unit basis I would believe that these petro-chemical feed stocks are at least as valuable of not more so than gasoline per unit... its simple logic... And if thats not enough here is some more info on it...

Crude Oil FAQs - Energy Information Administration

If you look over that you can find that refineries take the leftovers of oil from the refining process and make even more valuable and rare materials from them... These are some of the "other things" mentioned in my last link...

Conversion
Cracking and rearranging molecules takes a heavy, low-valued feedstock — often itself the output from an earlier process — and change it into lighter, higher-valued output such as gasoline. This is where refining's fanciest footwork takes place — where fractions from the distillation towers are transformed into streams (intermediate components) that eventually become finished products.

If you aren't already on the list to purchase a 2011 Nissan Leaf, you're officially out of luck. During a speech to the Detroit Economic Club today, Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn announced that the U.S. market allotment for the first year's production of Leafs is already sold out more than six months before the EV even goes on sale. Nissan has now received 13,000 orders for the $32,780 electric car – quite impressive for a vehicle almost no one's driven.

Carlos Ghosn: 2011 Nissan Leaf sold out — Autoblog

So far, the orders are comprised of refundable $99 deposits, so it will be interesting to see how sales and orders hold up once people begin getting calls from dealers. Prior to going on sale in 2008, the Smart ForTwo also received thousands of orders before deliveries began – and we all know how well that turned out. While the Leaf will undoubtedly be a much more pleasant and practical car to drive than the Smart, it remains to be seen how customers will react once they get used to the real world electric range.

If you aren't already on the list to purchase a 2011 Nissan Leaf, you're officially out of luck. During a speech to the Detroit Economic Club today, Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn announced that the U.S. market allotment for the first year's production of Leafs is already sold out more than six months before the EV even goes on sale. Nissan has now received 13,000 orders for the $32,780 electric car – quite impressive for a vehicle almost no one's driven.

Carlos Ghosn: 2011 Nissan Leaf sold out — Autoblog

So far, the orders are comprised of refundable $99 deposits, so it will be interesting to see how sales and orders hold up once people begin getting calls from dealers. Prior to going on sale in 2008, the Smart ForTwo also received thousands of orders before deliveries began – and we all know how well that turned out. While the Leaf will undoubtedly be a much more pleasant and practical car to drive than the Smart, it remains to be seen how customers will react once they get used to the real world electric range.

Good for them. Of course for 13,320 a young family on a tight budget can buy a 2011 Ford Fiesta for 13,320 bucks that will get 29 miles in the city and 38 miles per gallon on the freeway. Or they could plunk down 15, 655 bucks on that old standard the Honda Civic and get a tidy 26 city or 34 mpg on the highway and for an additional 300 bucks they could go for the Hyundai Elantra and get 23 mpg city or 31 mpg highway and get a little more fun out of it.

So for less than half of what you're spending they can buy a car that will take them anywhere with no problems, no waiting for recharge, and less pollution than the electric.
All in all right now I would choose the IC vehicle.

Forum List

Back