Who killed the electric car?

1. There exists a method to harvest car-usable bio-fuel from algae. This is the future.
2. Lack of demand didn't kill the EV-1. Rail on stupid things like you hate the look, but that just makes you sound like an idiot. Every single one could have been sold had they tried to.
3. There's enough energy in space to feed everyone. Voltage is created by a distance between two charged particles. The planets are very large charged particles and their movement creates energy...just waiting to be farmed from space. It's true, but no one will tell you that.

☭proletarian☭;2033220 said:
Can't take it on a trip?

You can't find an outlet every 300 miles?

The EV1 Gen 2 could only travel a 100 to 140 miles on a full charge and it took up to 8 hours to achieve a full charge, though it could achieve an 80% charge in 1 to 3 hours.

So even with a full charge you could only drive an hour and a half at interstate speed before you'll need to stop for an hour and search for a place to charge up for an hour and a half.

Inconvenient is an understatement.

Last edited:
Can't take it on a trip?

The EV1 Gen 2 could only travel a 100 to 140 miles on a full charge

Life for commuters can be heaven or hell. They report an average one-way commute time of 26 minutes (over an average distance of 16 miles)
Poll: Traffic in the United States - ABC News

This was covered in the video.

The average United States driver travels 29 miles per day
Transportation Fact Sheet | Ride To Work::

Got your pants on the ground, lookin' like a fool...
and it took up to 8 hours to achieve a full charge, though it could achieve an 80% charge in 1 to 3 hours.

.8(100) = 80

Let's round down and say 70. Still more than enough, and newer batteries and other technologies have greatly increased operating range.

So even with a full charge you could only drive an hour and a half at interstate speed before you'll need to stop for an hour and search for a place to charge up for an hour and a half.

See, when you go beyond Wikipedia, you look like less of a fool.

As soon as I can get a used electric for ~$2500 and keep it running for ~300 in parts per year, then talk to me about an electric.
Or do you intend to purchase one for me? Thanks, I really appreciate your kindness.

Dude... you don't need a bunch of parts for an electric.

It's a motor...

That's why GM couldn't make money selling service packages

Funny how you don't consider fuel costs

ZENNs are available for $14,700-$15,575.

☭proletarian☭;2033838 said:
Can't take it on a trip?

The average United States driver travels 29 miles per day

and it took up to 8 hours to achieve a full charge, though it could achieve an 80% charge in 1 to 3 hours.
.8(100) = 80

Let's round down and say 70. Still more than enough, and newer batteries and other technologies have greatly increased operating range.

A TRIP, not a comute.

A drive to St. Louis from here is 210 miles ONE WAY.

So far in your electric car, I drove 2 hours (120 miles).

Stopped and hopefully found an outdoor outlet and convinced someone to allow me to charge up for and hour and a half

Drive 70 miles

STOP AGAIN for another hour and a half.

Drive another 20 miles to the the Saint Louis Airport.

That 6 hours at 70 mph.

As compared to 3 hours in my internal combustion powered vehicle.

Ridiculous!

AND I can hop in my car and drive to MIAMI or NYC or LA anytime I feel like it.

Electric car...that ain't happenin'.

Pain in the ass to go to the beach, the museum, the amusement park, or even grandma's house.

The all electric car fails. Waste of money UNTIL the technology is available to make them as convenient as the internal combustion engine.

All the name-calling in the world isn't going to change that.

Sorry dude.

Last edited:

.8(100) = 80

A TRIP, not a comute.

Stopped and hopefully found an outdoor outlet and convinced someone to allow me to charge up for and hour and a half

Drive 70 miles

That 6 hours at 70 mph.

Ridiculous!

Pain in the ass to go to the beach, the museum, the amusement park, or even grandma's house.

The all electric car fails. Waste of money UNTIL the technology is available to make them as convenient as the internal combustion engine.

Sorry dude.

Missouri, they have some batteries that can propel a standard sized car 300 mi. right now. And take a charge in 10 minutes on 440. Too spendy at present for manufacture, but then a 50" wide screen TV cost $10,000 a few years ago.

For those vehicles that travel only a short distance every day, delivery trucks in citys, electric has already arrived.

Smith Electric Vehicles

A plug in hybrid with 60 miles range on electric, and a small gas engine would give most people 90% electric driving, with only a few longer trips using gasoline.

BYD Wants F6DM Plug-in Hybrid for Sale in Europe by 2010 : TreeHugger

A TRIP, not a comute.

And I showed you a modern electric car with a 300 mile range.

So you drove there, plugged in, enjoyed your day, and went home- all with no problem.

Why're you still crying?

☭proletarian☭;2035161 said:
A TRIP, not a comute.

And I showed you a modern electric car with a 300 mile range.

So you drove there, plugged in, enjoyed your day, and went home- all with no problem.

Cuz I just drove up there to pick up my wife at the airport and I need to get home in time to see my sons football game.

☭proletarian☭;2035161 said:
Why're you still crying?

This is a thread in an online forum dude...if you didn't want feedback you should have posted this to your diary.

.8(100) = 80

A TRIP, not a comute.

Drive 70 miles

That 6 hours at 70 mph.

Ridiculous!

Sorry dude.

Missouri, they have some batteries that can propel a standard sized car 300 mi. right now. And take a charge in 10 minutes on 440. Too spendy at present for manufacture, but then a 50" wide screen TV cost $10,000 a few years ago.

For those vehicles that travel only a short distance every day, delivery trucks in citys, electric has already arrived.

Smith Electric Vehicles

A plug in hybrid with 60 miles range on electric, and a small gas engine would give most people 90% electric driving, with only a few longer trips using gasoline.

BYD Wants F6DM Plug-in Hybrid for Sale in Europe by 2010 : TreeHugger

I'm with ya Rocks...when the technology is ready the public will be clamoring for it...there will be waiting lists to purchase one.

But we aren't there yet.

Look at what's happening to flex-fuel and ethanol.

Investors and businesses sunk money into infrastructure that will soon be worthless.

They will be much more hesitant to invest in electric infrastructure.

Electric cars are one of those things, like HD-TV which is being forced on the market, and not so much sought after by the average driver as those whose “consciousness” has been raised. What does well in Japan may not succeed as well in America with the greater distances involved to work or between shopping destinations. We would seem to need to learn something about disciplining ourselves in eliminating unnecessary travel and the like.

In the India they are building and selling a car powered by compressed air. The car needs to be as light as possible to maximize distance on one “fill-up”, so it is said to be “glued” together. These cars could be charged up either at commercial locations with high pressure compression systems, or a compressor can be installed in the home. An air tank would be much less weighty than a battery, with all the advantages that imbues.

Therefore, since it is "glued together," for what that may mean, it has not been approved for American markets. But it serves the needs of Indian customers, but hasn’t yet been adapted for here.

Here are some links:
The Indian made Tata “MDI Airpod”
The Compressed Air Car: MDI Airpod : Product Reviews Net

And: MDI Air Car: with a compressed air engine : Product Reviews Net
The engine will produce zero pollution in cities and far less pollution while driving outside urban areas thanks to a mix of compressed air and fuel. Although the technology behind the MDI Air Car is not new, it is the ongoing research that has helped this dream become a reality.
The other great advantage with the MDI vehicle is that it is not as expensive as say an electric or hydrogen powered vehicle, these vehicles also are not restricted by a limited driving range.

And .... The $12,700 CityCAT view of engine is just one of many Air Car models planned which this model can get to 68 mph with a range of 125 miles from the gas (filled up via custom air compressor units).
The amazing fact that it will then take only $2 to fill the car’s carbon-fiber tanks with 340 liters of air at 4350 psi ....

More on This Car - A Minivan

Just Sayin'......A fascinating alternative!

Last edited:
See, I told you so ☭proletarian☭. Looks like most on USMB are against the electric car & that is what killed it. First you need demand.

☭proletarian☭;2034022 said:
ZENNs are available for $14,700-$15,575.

that's about $12,000 outside my price range.

Charley, get a job!

Dumbass - I'm not about to waste money on an overpriced vehicle. BTW - when i go to the grocery store (the use listed for these lame electric cars) I walk. Perhaps you have heard of that before?

Wait you must be one of those grotesquely obese couch potatoes who need a car to go two doors down the street.

Naw, I have never heard of walking. Why even on the last hike I took in the North Cascades, I only did 5miles, horizontal. Over 5000 ft. vertically.

And then there was the little walk along the Strawberry Mountain trail. Only about 10 miles, and none of the ups and downs were over 2000 ft.

I certainly have to admit that the little hike from the 9000 ft. level of Mt. Antero in Colorado to the 13,000 ft level left me a bit winded. Especially since I did about a 1000 ft down hill from the 13,000 level at a run.A lightning storm on a Colorado mountaintop is an awe inspiring natural event. And can give your feet wings when it looks like you are going to get to see it from the inside.

Yep, couch potato indeed.

Forum List

Back