Who is your favourite despot?

Sodafin

Dec 17, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
One theory of despotism suggests that despotism is unique in that whilst most systems of government produce an actual government, with despotism it is the other way around. Think of it as a chicken and egg situation - Stalin came first, the functions of the Stalinist state followed. Stalin created the state around him, and it existed only as an extension of him as a person. For within a truly despotic state, it is the personality of the leader which defines the functions of the state.

This is true of Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot, Stroessner, Ceaucescu, Tito and Xoxha, amongst others. Without their leadership, the state could no longer exist, or at least not on its existing form. From the time these leaders died, their states began to wither and corrode, because they lacked the force that had called them into existence.

Despotism requires paranoia and fear in order to build a sense of belonging and community. Within a despotic society - it is us against the world, and you are either for us or against us. There is no neutrality, no third option.

For my money, Stalin created a more perfect despotic state than Hitler, who was driven by rage and personal doubt where Stalin was more calculating, more controlled and more brutally psychotic.

I have always thought this too, given the horrible choice I would rather have lived under Hitler, just yell out the expected anti Jewish crap, wear the right uniform, and hope no one looks too hard at your family history and you are ok, (until you are sent to the Russian front) but under Stalin no one was safe.

Stalin created the perfect storm of fear, everyone was afraid of him. Even his own family.

Still, my favorite despot is Papa Doc Duvalier.

I know he was a bastard, but I just like the name.

Idi Amin Dada comes in a close second on the clown town name that despot list.

Last edited:
And Robert Mugabe’s face always gives me a good laugh, he looks like a human-prune hybrid from the Isle of Doctor Moreau.

I have always thought this too, given the horrible choice I would rather have lived under Hitler, just yell out the expected anti Jewish crap, wear the right uniform, and hope no one looks too hard at your family history and you are ok, (until you are sent to the Russian front) but under Stalin no one was safe.

Stalin created the perfect storm of fear, everyone was afraid of him. Even his own family.

I agree - under most despots you can make yourself safe by playing the game.

Under Stalin, you were never safe. There was no loyalty strong enough, to bond close enough.

One has to admire the calculation of the violence and insanity that creates that kind of world. Hitler couldn't stop shrieking long enough to actually plan a strategy that could be sustained beyond 3 or 4 years.

I credit a typical Georgian mother and a quick sojourn in the Orthodox Russian priesthood training program.

Midnight -

Neither Bush nor Obama were in any way despots.

Frankly, to suggest they were is a slap in the face to the millions of people around the world who have suffered torture, imprisonment and death trying to obtain the freedoms you take for granted today.

Midnight -

Neither Bush nor Obama were in any way despots.

Frankly, to suggest they were is a slap in the face to the millions of people around the world who have suffered torture, imprisonment and death trying to obtain the freedoms you take for granted today.
As soon as you show us all where I said either of them were/are despots, you might almost have a point.

I'll wait.

HomeDepot.jpg

MM -

I'm not really interested in games - let's stick to the topic of despotism.

xs -

Please do not spam my threads. Thanks.
You made an accusation. Either back it up or shut the fuck up.

Show us all where I ever called President Bush or President Obama despots.

MM -

Who did this sentence refer to?

The watermelon scheme right now is giving ALL the old despots a run for the money.

Given you use the phrase "right now", I would have thought that excluded Stalin or Mao.

Really - I hate machismo. Either debate the topic, or just scroll past my threads altogether.

My favorite wannabe despot..

Cheney.

With that evil grin, he would have made a good despot - but was he really quite in the same class as Mao?

I think not.

Cheney simply never gained the power...

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
Abraham Lincoln

MM -

Who did this sentence refer to?

The watermelon scheme right now is giving ALL the old despots a run for the money.
Given you use the phrase "right now", I would have thought that excluded Stalin or Mao.

Really - I hate machismo. Either debate the topic, or just scroll past my threads altogether.
My goodness, you're really stupid.

The "watermelon scheme" is my name for the entire AGW movement. Like a watermelon it's green on the outside but pure communist, Marxist red on the inside.

The environmental movement has been hijacked by Marxists, and folks such as yourself can't get that emotional treble hook out of your mouths.

Are Bush and Obama watermelons? I think probably not, I believe they simply are dupes such as yourself.

Either debate the topic, or just scroll past my threads altogether.
You seem to believe you have some kind of "ownership" of threads you start. You do not. You also seem to believe you can order other posters around, as we see here and in one of your earlier posts. You cannot, until you become a moderator.

So, stop wasting bandwidth trying to give orders here, fuckwit.

MM -

I got that you were referring to global warming. I also got that you oppose Obama's policy on global warming - hence the 'red on the inside' element.

I have no idea why you needed to dodge and dance that one.

Now please either debate the topic, or fuck off.

Forum List

Back