Who is yer favorite founding father?

For Palin, it's of course "all of them". Her typical non-answer answer.

Beck Calls 'Bullcrap' On Palin's Non-Answer About Favorite Founding Father (VIDEO) | TPM LiveWire

Well, at least MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski gives a solid answer. Can't blame her of dodging the question. She picked Lincoln.

Did MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski Say Her Favorite Founding Father Is Lincoln? (VIDEO) | TPM LiveWire

Jesus help us all. We have idiots making the news and then more idiots reporting the news...

I don't care for Sarah Palin, but don't think that her final choice was wrong. George Washington was the leader of the Founders. Not the intellectual as was Madison, Hamilton, and others, but he was the glue. He also knew when to step back and take the praise, while letting go of the power. Without him, the new country probably wouldn't have gotten off the ground.

At least she eventually answered with someone who, ya know, actually WAS a founding father...

yea.....George Washington

A first grader would have answered George Washington

The point being that I started the thread with two idiots. Everyone seems to be jumping on one of the idiots and ignoring the other.

I mean, Lincoln?!?! Really?!?!

I assumed she was parodying Palin's preceived lack of knowledge.

I asked one of my slaves "Who is your favorite Founding Father?"

He replied, "Founding Father?"

I said, "YES, you do know what I mean, right? Founder of the USA's Constitution??"

Slave: "USA's Constitution??"

:eek:

I like to think my slaves just like pulling my chain.:redface:

yea.....George Washington

A first grader would have answered George Washington

The point being that I started the thread with two idiots. Everyone seems to be jumping on one of the idiots and ignoring the other.

I said, "YES, you do know what I mean, right? Founder of the USA's Constitution??"

Shit, does everyone have slaves here but me?

Dammit. I need one.

[/quote]

Yeah Palin stumbled.

I would have considered the question a moment if I didn't have the answer at the tip-of-my-tongue (which Palin clearly did not). For some reason Palin believes that a fast answer is a good answer, and it was pretty clear that "all of them" wasn't good. Of course, given a few moments to reflect (I really suspect Beck pulled a dollar bill from his wallet and laid it on the table), she picks George Washington.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I think it the pageant training. Those pageant contestants learn early on that if they are stumped, they should just glibly spout out some nonsense and hope for the best.
And I bet you're correct about the dollar.

Shit, does everyone have slaves here but me?

Dammit. I need one.

:eusa_hand:

Meh...if only you got what you pay for: Slave Labor is Over-rated.

It takes almost 18 years to train them to do anything useful, and even then you must stand over them cracking a whip to get anything done.

You end up being more than a little delighted when they disappear.

Gotta simply love the Palin haters. The Governor answered showing that she had knowledge that many Americans do not have. That Washington could have been Americas first King and turned it down. But that must be over all these intelligent peoples heads.

Anyway my favorite has to be Jefferson, Got to back up my cousin. (Sort of)

Gotta simply love the Palin haters. The Governor answered showing that she had knowledge that many Americans do not have. That Washington could have been Americas first King and turned it down. But that must be over all these intelligent peoples heads.

:lol:

A Paranoid Palin Prepared for Beck Interview by Googling NYC Landmarks | Politicususa.com

Beck said, “She said, ‘I’m just preparing now.’ And I said, ‘What do you mean?’ And she held up her BlackBerry, and she said, ‘Oh I, I’m wondering why you have me here at the Statue of Liberty.’ And I said, ‘Cause it’s a symbol of trust.’ … And she said, ‘So you’re not going to ask me about the 25 windows?’ And I said, ‘The 25 windows? What are you talking about the 25 windows?’ She said, ‘The 25 windows, come on, don’t play with me. 25 windows, they stand for the different minerals.’ And I said, ‘You could be making that up right now, I have no idea. There are 25 minerals in the Statue of Liberty.”

He continued, “And she said, ‘So the seven points?’ And I said, ‘What points?’ She said, ‘The ones on her hand. You know the crown.’ … And I said, ‘No, we’re not going down that road.’ And she just looked at me like, ‘Um hm.’And I turned around and I walked out for a minute and I come back and she’s still Googling. Now she’s googling, now she’s googling Ellis Island. Her shields were so high.”

Textbook definition of Paranoid. :lol:

Constitution Menu: Constitutional Convention Overview

Constitutional Convention Overview

May 25, 1787, freshly spread dirt covered the cobblestone street in front of the Pennsylvania State House, protecting the men inside from the sound of passing carriages and carts. Guards stood at the entrances to ensure that the curious were kept at a distance. Robert Morris of Pennsylvania, the "financier" of the Revolution, opened the proceedings with a nomination--Gen. George Washington for the presidency of the Constitutional Convention. The vote was unanimous. With characteristic ceremonial modesty, the general expressed his embarrassment at his lack of qualifications to preside over such an august body and apologized for any errors into which he might fall in the course of its deliberations.

To many of those assembled, especially to the small, boyish-looking, 36-year-old delegate from Virginia, James Madison, the general's mere presence boded well for the convention, for the illustrious Washington gave to the gathering an air of importance and legitimacy. But his decision to attend the convention had been an agonizing one. The Father of the Country had almost remained at home.

Suffering from rheumatism, despondent over the loss of a brother, absorbed in the management of Mount Vernon, and doubting that the convention would accomplish very much or that many men of stature would attend, Washington delayed accepting the invitation to attend for several months. Torn between the hazards of lending his reputation to a gathering perhaps doomed to failure and the chance that the public would view his reluctance to attend with a critical eye, the general finally agreed to make the trip. James Madison was pleased.

Left: General George Washington was unanimously elected president of the Philadelphia convention.
The Articles of Confederation

The determined Madison had for several years insatiably studied history and political theory searching for a solution to the political and economic dilemmas he saw plaguing America. The Virginian's labors convinced him of the futility and weakness of confederacies of independent states. America's own government under the Articles of Confederation, Madison was convinced, had to be replaced. In force since 1781, established as a "league of friendship" and a constitution for the 13 sovereign and independent states after the Revolution, the articles seemed to Madison woefully inadequate. With the states retaining considerable power, the central government, he believed, had insufficient power to regulate commerce. It could not tax and was generally impotent in setting commercial policy It could not effectively support a war effort. It had little power to settle quarrels between states. Saddled with this weak government, the states were on the brink of economic disaster. The evidence was overwhelming. Congress was attempting to function with a depleted treasury; paper money was flooding the country, creating extraordinary inflation--a pound of tea in some areas could be purchased for a tidy $100; and the depressed condition of business was taking its toll on many small farmers. Some of them were being thrown in jail for debt, and numerous farms were being confiscated and sold for taxes.

In 1786 some of the farmers had fought back. Led by Daniel Shays, a former captain in the Continental army, a group of armed men, sporting evergreen twigs in their hats, prevented the circuit court from sitting at Northampton, MA, and threatened to seize muskets stored in the arsenal at Springfield. Although the insurrection was put down by state troops, the incident confirmed the fears of many wealthy men that anarchy was just around the corner. Embellished day after day in the press, the uprising made upper-class Americans shudder as they imagined hordes of vicious outlaws descending upon innocent citizens. From his idyllic Mount Vernon setting, Washington wrote to Madison: "Wisdom and good examples are necessary at this time to rescue the political machine from the impending storm."

Madison thought he had the answer. He wanted a strong central government to provide order and stability. "Let it be tried then," he wrote, "whether any middle ground can be taken which will at once support a due supremacy of the national authority," while maintaining state power only when "subordinately useful." The resolute Virginian looked to the Constitutional Convention to forge a new government in this mold.
The convention had its specific origins in a proposal offered by Madison and John Tyler in the Virginia assembly that the Continental Congress be given power to regulate commerce throughout the Confederation. Through their efforts in the assembly a plan was devised inviting the several states to attend a convention at Annapolis, MD, in September 1786 to discuss commercial problems. Madison and a young lawyer from New York named Alexander Hamilton issued a report on the meeting in Annapolis, calling upon Congress to summon delegates of all of the states to meet for the purpose of revising the Articles of Confederation. Although the report was widely viewed as a usurpation of congressional authority, the Congress did issue a formal call to the states for a convention. To Madison it represented the supreme chance to reverse the country's trend. And as the delegations gathered in Philadelphia, its importance was not lost to others. The squire of Gunston Hall, George Mason, wrote to his son, "The Eyes of the United States are turned upon this Assembly and their Expectations raised to a very anxious Degree. May God Grant that we may be able to gratify them, by establishing a wise and just Government."...

:lol:

A Paranoid Palin Prepared for Beck Interview by Googling NYC Landmarks | Politicususa.com

Beck said, “She said, ‘I’m just preparing now.’ And I said, ‘What do you mean?’ And she held up her BlackBerry, and she said, ‘Oh I, I’m wondering why you have me here at the Statue of Liberty.’ And I said, ‘Cause it’s a symbol of trust.’ … And she said, ‘So you’re not going to ask me about the 25 windows?’ And I said, ‘The 25 windows? What are you talking about the 25 windows?’ She said, ‘The 25 windows, come on, don’t play with me. 25 windows, they stand for the different minerals.’ And I said, ‘You could be making that up right now, I have no idea. There are 25 minerals in the Statue of Liberty.”

He continued, “And she said, ‘So the seven points?’ And I said, ‘What points?’ She said, ‘The ones on her hand. You know the crown.’ … And I said, ‘No, we’re not going down that road.’ And she just looked at me like, ‘Um hm.’And I turned around and I walked out for a minute and I come back and she’s still Googling. Now she’s googling, now she’s googling Ellis Island. Her shields were so high.”

Textbook definition of Paranoid. :lol:

Eh, I give her a pass on that one. I don't call it paranoid. I call it well-prepared. Hell, she needs it.

If I hadda pick, I wouldn't.

But if I were to go out on that limb, I'd likely go for ol' Benjamin Franklin.

He got laid a lot.

Reminds me that I didn't say my 'favorite.' Madison, Jefferson wasn't a founder, I prefer the term Framer when referring to the Constitution making process. Madison kept notes, totally breaking the rules, but recognizing the necessity. 2nd would be Hamilton, elitist that he was forgiven.

Forum List

Back