Who Is To Blame

The fact that the Tea Party decided to directly attach this issue to the vote on raising our debt ceiling had a direct impact on why we had our credit downgraded. If we just raised our debt ceiling like we have countless times before without the fanfare that the Tea Party caused we would still have a AAA rating today. Thats just a fact.

I guess you think just routinely raising the debt limit without anyone contesting it will make us more financially secure? The downgrade should be a wake-up call for us to get our house in order before we reach the point of no return. Maybe we should be thanking S&P for waking us up. Some people (politicians) are unable to do what's right unless they are forced to. Then they blame someone else tor the problem they, themselves, have created.

I never said that just raising the debt limit over and over was a smart financial idea, but that doesn't change the fact that the actions of the Tea Party (whether you like what they did or disagree with it) directly caused our credit to be downgraded.

It was both parties agreeing to short term agreements instead of long term outlooks,which is what S&P were looking for.

Thanks for the well thought out response.

The drivel that your posting is ignorant and does not require nor deserve an intelligent response.

Which part was drivel and why?

Here's your chance to separate yourself from the pack and actually type out a response with some thought and not respond with insults.

There are 3 groups involved in this mess and to just assign guilt to one if them is nothing but partisan politics. If not for the TP the discussion would still be on spending not spending cuts, which is what S&P was telegraphing for a couple weeks prior to passage. They all but told us without a 4t package what the result was going to be. We ignored the warnings.

The left held a hard line on taxes despite the fact that their are 800 billion in new taxes in ocare and the bush cuts are set to expire.
The TP held a hard line on cuts. Their position was NO MORE EXTREME than the lefts tax position.

Republicans and democrats alike were grandstanding.

It did not take long for politicians, news organizations, pundits and pollsters to start pointing fingers at who is to blame for the S&P downgrade of our nation's debt. They are, however, pointing in the wrong direction. They all should be pointing at "we the people" who have for decades demanded more and more services from the government at all levels. There have been too many politicians who have been more than willing to promote these programs in order to get elected. They have not the political will, or the fortitude to say no for fear of losing their position of power at the hands of the electorate.

We can not have it both ways, expensive programs or duplicate programs, of which there are many, and expect to pay low taxes. So, stop the finger pointing and decide by election time next year which it will be. A famous comic strip character Pogo quipped many years ago that "we have met the enemy, and it is us". Yes, it is all of us!

Liberals usually resort to blaming everyone once they run out of excuses. Be it racism. Be it the Tea Party. Be it Bush. They eventually come around to blaming it on everyone, meaning us. They won't blame Obama. He's not driving this bus. He's just in it for the ride.

The rub here is it's up to every leader to lead from strength, not from weakness.

Do what is right and the rest will take care of itself.

Last edited:
Senator Kerry, the one who married the widow of his best friend, the one who parked his multi-million dollar yacht in the state next door to save on taxes, of course blames the Tea Party for the down grade. The same small number of congressmen and women that are part of only one part of the government that the Repubs control. And that control has been in place for less than seven months. Kerry has been in the senate since 1984. Obama has been in the White House going on three years. And they blame the few Tea Partiers who are trying to get the debt under control. Leadership and guts are needed now and only a few people are leading and showing enough guts to do what's needed.

Last edited:
The drivel that your posting is ignorant and does not require nor deserve an intelligent response.

Which part was drivel and why?

Here's your chance to separate yourself from the pack and actually type out a response with some thought and not respond with insults.

There are 3 groups involved in this mess and to just assign guilt to one if them is nothing but partisan politics. If not for the TP the discussion would still be on spending not spending cuts, which is what S&P was telegraphing for a couple weeks prior to passage. They all but told us without a 4t package what the result was going to be. We ignored the warnings.

The left held a hard line on taxes despite the fact that their are 800 billion in new taxes in ocare and the bush cuts are set to expire.
The TP held a hard line on cuts. Their position was NO MORE EXTREME than the lefts tax position.

Republicans and democrats alike were grandstanding.

So which part of my statement was drivel? I think I assigned blame to more than just the Tea Party in my first post.

Both Republican and Democrat spending started the mess, followed by the Tea Party directly causing the issue to be attached to our debt limit.

I agree with your fist part. Both parties have spent too much.
The tea party wants spending cuts.
S&P warned that the cuts need to be at least 4 Trillion.
They caved to the 2 Trillion in cuts that Dems wanted. It is not enough in cuts.
S&P wants to see long term fixes and both parties have settled for short term fixes.

The fact that the Tea Party decided to directly attach this issue to the vote on raising our debt ceiling had a direct impact on why we had our credit downgraded. If we just raised our debt ceiling like we have countless times before without the fanfare that the Tea Party caused we would still have a AAA rating today. Thats just a fact.

This is the part that's all drivel. Of course they attached it because that dumbass in the WH wouldn't have addressed it any other way. And your crystal ball what if scenario is amusing to say the least. Your entitled to your own opinion not your own facts.

Reaching this point was everyone fault BUT the TP as they weren't around to spend the money or accumulate the debt. The fact that it came to a head like it did is 100% Obamas fault. At some point he is going to have to lead. Period

Maybe its Karma's fault. Everyone eventually gets what they deserve.

Then the TPers ought to be getting the boot next year. They pissed away 2-3 trillion in cuts, just so they can say they kept their word. I would have rather they put the interest of the country ahead of their own.

Last edited:
I agree with your fist part. Both parties have spent too much.
The tea party wants spending cuts.
S&P warned that the cuts need to be at least 4 Trillion.
They caved to the 2 Trillion in cuts that Dems wanted. It is not enough in cuts.
S&P wants to see long term fixes and both parties have settled for short term fixes.

This is the part that's all drivel. Of course they attached it because that dumbass in the WH wouldn't have addressed it any other way. And your crystal ball what if scenario is amusing to say the least. Your entitled to your own opinion not your own facts.

Reaching this point was everyone fault BUT the TP as they weren't around to spend the money or accumulate the debt. The fact that it came to a head like it did is 100% Obamas fault. At some point he is going to have to lead. Period

Partisan much? LOL.

I never said the Tea Party caused the debt, but their insisting that the debt limit vote be attached to spending cuts DID cause our credit rating to be dropped. Keep (mis)reading what you want, but you're not comprehending what I am saying.

Partisan much? LOL.

I never said the Tea Party caused the debt, but their insisting that the debt limit vote be attached to spending cuts DID cause our credit rating to be dropped. Keep (mis)reading what you want, but you're not comprehending what I am saying.

I comprehend your twisting of the facts quite well. We were downgraded because we didnt cut enough off of our bottom line. You can say whatever you like but its doesnt translate to fact.

Forum List

Back