Who is the most over-rated president of all-time?

Who is the most over-rated president of all-time?

• Abraham Lincoln (#1 Ranking)

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Franklin D. Roosevelt (#2 Ranking)

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • George Washington (#3 Ranking)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Thomas Jefferson (#4 Ranking)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Theodore Roosevelt (#5 Ranking)

• Woodrow Wilson (#6 Ranking)

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Harry Truman (#7 Ranking)

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Andrew Jackson (T-#8 Ranking)

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Dwight D. Eisenhower (T-#8 Ranking)

• Other (Explain in your post)

Votes: 29 40.8%

• Total voters
Reagan, but he did have that impish little movie grin so he made America feel good as he wandered about the White House.

It's easily FDR. Everything that is f'd up about our society is traced to him. And it was his policies that extended a recession into The Great Depression. And he was asleep at the wheel on Pearl Harbor. And his apathy led to Hitler's dominance and consequently millions in casualties. All of that, and the idiot "historians" and liberals celebrate him as the second best president when he's really the worst ever. You can't get more over-rated than that.

It couldn't have been Hoover's three years of inaction that extended the Great Depression?

Asleep at the wheel? He was trying to do everything short of war to rein in the Japanese. It was the local commander that was asleep at the wheel. He knew it and took off his stars immediately.

Apathy towards Hitler? He recognized the danger, but had to deal with people, including the Republican presidential candidate, who wanted to turn a blind eye to what was happening in Europe.

Reagan #1- He was given credit for actions to end the Cold War that had actually accumulated over 40+ years and 7 administrations of both parties.

Thomas Woodrow Wilson.

Wilson pushed started the Federal income tax and the Federal Reserve Act which are anchors on his presidency.

Easily FDR, he was constantly looking at ways for government to take away freedom. He used fear as a weapon to try to implement his polices. He did guide us through WWII, but he is by no means a top ten President.

It's easily FDR. Everything that is f'd up about our society is traced to him. And it was his policies that extended a recession into The Great Depression. And he was asleep at the wheel on Pearl Harbor. And his apathy led to Hitler's dominance and consequently millions in casualties. All of that, and the idiot "historians" and liberals celebrate him as the second best president when he's really the worst ever. You can't get more over-rated than that.

It couldn't have been Hoover's three years of inaction that extended the Great Depression?

Asleep at the wheel? He was trying to do everything short of war to rein in the Japanese. It was the local commander that was asleep at the wheel. He knew it and took off his stars immediately.

Apathy towards Hitler? He recognized the danger, but had to deal with people, including the Republican presidential candidate, who wanted to turn a blind eye to what was happening in Europe.

Actually, while I agree with you that FDR is NOT overrated, each of your statements is factually incorrect:

Hoover was not inactive, quite the contrary.

The blame for the Pearl Harbour debacle can not be laid at the feet of the local commanders. They were quickly scapegoated, but the blame for the inadequate preparation of the fleet lies much higher up.

Roosevelt had at least as much trouble with his own party on isolationism and actually had a bit of an isolationist streak himself, at certain points. His overcautious approach often exasperated the minority in his cabinet who were more interventionist.

Reagan #1- He was given credit for actions to end the Cold War that had actually accumulated over 40+ years and 7 administrations of both parties.

Again wrong, Reagan's policies had a major impact in bringing the Soviet Union to its knees. He broke with more than a decade of detente to achieve this.

Thomas Woodrow Wilson.

Wilson pushed started the Federal income tax and the Federal Reserve Act which are anchors on his presidency.
He and FDR did too much damage to this nation to be considered 'overrated'. They're overWORSHIPPED yes. Overrated, no.

kennedy

THE most over rated president of ALL time.

Possibly the most over hyped president of all-time if I may split hairs. He's not the most over-rated to me though.

i agree with that. Even his worshipers are hard pressed to point to anything.

He owes Oswald for his place in the history books. Otherwise he'd be totally insignificant except for sexual scandals

kennedy

THE most over rated president of ALL time.

Have to agree with JFK with Reagan a close second

Lincoln is interesting. He was not loved when he was president and became a god when he was assasinated. I think his rating would have dropped in a second term but he still would be an all time great

I disagree that George Washington was overrated because of the whiskey tax. If I remember correctly wasn't the purpose of the tax to pay off our debt from the revolution? He tried to set a precedent for future presidents. If it would have worked as he planned maybe we would still be paying off our debts.

But I would have to agree that JFK was the most overrated.

For the purposes of so-called historical perspective, I won't include recent presidents.

Ronald Reagan was the greatest liar of the 20th Century.

Reagan said he did not authorize Poindexter to mislead Congress, contradicting Poindexter's argument that Reagan knew of and authorized his activities...The words ``I don't remember'' or their equivalents occurred at least 124 times in his eight hours of testimony. The lapses in memory ranged from the identity of Rep. Lee Hamilton, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee during several of the key years of Reagan's presidency, to the central conclusions of the Tower Commission, which Reagan appointed to investigate the Iran-contra affair.

Reagan, now 79, also didn't remember that Robert McFarlane, who served as his national security adviser, had pleaded guilty to a charge of withholding information from Congress.

Reagan's memory lapses, however, never occurred on answers that bolstered his longstanding position that he, himself, had done nothing wrong. Repeatedly, he emphasized that while he might not be able to recall the names of the subordinates he gave instructions to - even at Cabinet rank - he recalled clearly the content of the instructions: ``Stay within the law.''
. - Business | Iran-Contra Deposition -- Reagan Testimony Bares Memory Loss, But Not Much Else | Seattle Times Newspaper

Forum List

Back