Who is the hero in the war?

Here's another example of a real hero, who did much more than commit suicide after his plane was shot down:

After his company landed in an airmobile assault, several Viet Cong opened fire with automatic weapons. Captain Pitts led an assault which overran the enemy positions and was then ordered to move north to reinforce another company engaged against a strong enemy force. As his company moved forward intense fire was received from three directions, including four bunkers, two of which were within 15 meters of his position. His rifle fire proving ineffective against the enemy due to the dense foliage, Pitts picked up an M79 grenade launcher and began pinpointing the targets. Seizing a grenade taken from a captured Viet Cong's web gear, he lobbed it at a bunker to his front but it hit the foliage and rebounded. Without hesitation, Pitts threw himself on top of the grenade which, fortunately, failed to explode. He then directed the repositioning of the company to permit friendly artillery to be fired. Upon completion of the fire mission, he again led his men toward the enemy positions, personally killing at least one more Viet Cong. Displaying complete disregard for his personal safety, he maintained continuous fire, pinpointing the enemy's fortified positions, while at the same time directing and urging his men forward, until he was mortally wounded

Every time you try to make the thread about me, it says you aren't confident in your position. You don't know anything about me, the thread isn't about me.
This is logical.
If a person says that Dr. "H" undeservedly received a Nobel Prize in physics, you need to ask, and what is your qualification in physics.
If the elementary school student says - I" do not understand what is written in this work. This is not the problem of Dr. N. This is the problem of the schoolboy =)

The hero is the highest military award.

So I ask you - what's your experience? How many combat missions do you have? How many times have you been injured?

Because they are courageous enough to face captivity like men, and many returned to the USA to again be with their families and serve their countries in other capacities.
And why did the American pilots have a choice - to kill themselves or survive. A Russian - did not have it?
You wrote "he didn't have any other choice".

The hero is the highest military award
You can't wrap your head around the fact that the definition of hero isn't in question here. Whether a pilot who kills himself qualifies is what we're debating. He's a hero sure whatever, but nowhere near at the level of those who make a choice when given easier alternatives.

So I ask you - what's your experience? How many combat missions do you have? How many times have you been injured?
The thread is not about me, and every time you try to make it so it weakens your position by screaming that you don't have one.

And why did the American pilots have a choice - to kill themselves or survive. A Russian - did not have it? You wrote "he didn't have any other choice".
I've said nothing about American pilots versus Russian pilots, this is just more of you losing an argument so attempting to change it. I'll restate my position since you're having trouble understanding: It was not as heroic to simply kill himself when he had no option to sacrifice to help others, compared to those who made that choice when given easier alternatives.

You want to read about a real hero who knew self-sacrifice? Try:

As the platoon pursued the insurgents, Pfc. Olive and 4 other soldiers were moving through the jungle together when a grenade was thrown into their midst. Pfc. Olive saw the grenade, and then saved the lives of his fellow soldiers at the sacrifice of his own by grabbing the grenade in his hand and falling on it to absorb the blast with his body. Through his bravery, unhesitating actions, and complete disregard for his safety, he prevented additional loss of life or injury to the members of his platoon. Pfc. Olive's extraordinary heroism, at the cost of his life above and beyond the call of duty, are in the highest traditions of the U.S. Army and reflect great credit upon himself and the Armed Forces of his country.

Forum List

Back