Who is the hero in the war?

OsteInmar

Aug 22, 2018
I did not see this on the forum, although here they talk about heroes.

On February 3, 2018, during the flight of the de-escalation zone "Idlib" to monitor the cease-fire regime, the leading Russian Su-25SM attack aircraft under the command of Major Filipov near the city of Serakib was shot down by a portable anti-aircraft missile system ..

. The pilot tried to hold the plane in the air and reported that he was attacked by a rocket, after which he ejected.
On the ground, the pilot was surrounded by militants and died in the ensuing battle: shooting from the attackers from Stechkin's pistol, was seriously wounded, but did not surrender, and then blew himself up with a grenade.
By the decision of the President of Russia, Roman Filippov was granted the highest award to the Hero of Russia (the deceased) ..
. In the city of Voronezh his name was assigned to school No. 85. On the school building a memorial plaque is installed, and on June 15, 2018, a bronze bust of the hero is opened.
Also the name of the pilot was awarded to a new street in the Central district of Voronezh.

Americans .. Tell us, can an American soldier, an officer, a pilot or a simple land warrior perish so?

On February 3, 2018, during the flight of the de-escalation zone "Idlib" to monitor the cease-fire regime, the leading Russian Su-25SM attack aircraft under the command of Major Filipov near the city of Serakib was shot down by a portable anti-aircraft missile system ..

. The pilot tried to hold the plane in the air and reported that he was attacked by a rocket, after which he ejected.
On the ground, the pilot was surrounded by militants and died in the ensuing battle: shooting from the attackers from Stechkin's pistol, was seriously wounded, but did not surrender, and then blew himself up with a grenade.
By the decision of the President of Russia, Roman Filippov was granted the highest award to the Hero of Russia (the deceased) ..
. In the city of Voronezh his name was assigned to school No. 85. On the school building a memorial plaque is installed, and on June 15, 2018, a bronze bust of the hero is opened.
Also the name of the pilot was awarded to a new street in the Central district of Voronezh.

Americans .. Tell us, can an American soldier, an officer, a pilot or a simple land warrior perish so?

Lessons learned:
  1. Had the pilot been American, he would have been worth something and kept alive.
  2. Russians name such minor combat soldiers after schools and streets to try to create honor where not much was involved for false glory, which means they either have a LOT of schools and streets or not many combat heroes.
  3. Plaques and busts are cheap ways of keeping Russians satisfied, happy, and in line, forever ignorant that they aren't getting anything of any real value in their communist culture. All of the real good and power goes to the Kremlin while the people fight for dirt and crumbs.

• Banned
Guys, I just can not help it.
Look at this bastard "toobfreak"
He writes that he is German, but he lives in America.
- Then he writes that the American
- then he writes that he lives in Russia, in Leningrad (a city that does not exist)
- Now he writes that he voted for Vladimir Putin, that is, he is a Russian
- Now he writes that he lives in Ukraine.

And this creature still dares to write about the Heroes?
If in America all such, then who in America is a Hero?

Rogul!!!

You do realize that the US troops have been in constant combat operations for the last 17 years. You asked does the US have such hero's the real answer, to many to count.

Stechkins pistol? Is that pre Korea junk the best the Russians can come up for a pilot in the 21st century? How long would it take for a fully automatic pistol to go through a 20 round magazine if it didn't jam up like most of the pre Korea Russian junk? The whole thing is probably Russian made propaganda to cover for an inept Russian pilot who was shot down with an RPG.

WWII a Navy flyer flew his TBO down the stack of a Battleship after being shot up and blew the ship up. Most of them are at Arlington.

We prefer those who were not captured

I don't understand why he is being held up as same amazing hero, he killed himself when confronted by death or capture since he didn't have any other choice.

There are heroes who have put themselves at great personal risk to influence the outcome of a battle or help fallen comrades, and they had a choice. They didn't need to do what they did but they decided to put their lives and make incredibly courageous choices. The guy who jumps on a grenade to save the others in his unit is a far greater hero than someone who chooses to commit suicide to avoid capture.

I'm not trying to be pro USA or anti Russia here I'm sure there are examples of true heroism on both sides and from many other countries.

My opinion.
it is very bad that in the modern world people can look at the war (on YouTube) as a sport. Drink beer and talk - this act is 7 points. On the scale of heroism.
- No, you're wrong, maximum 6.

It is difficult to understand when you're sitting at home.
So explain it to me.

It's great this guy served for his country, but once he was shot down and surrounded he had two choices: get captured or commit suicide. It didn't take some amazing courage or self-sacrifice for the good of others to choose to kill himself, because he wasn't presented with an easier option.

You want to read about a real hero try Michael A. Monsoor - Wikipedia

On 29 September 2006, an insurgent threw a grenade onto a rooftop where Monsoor and several other SEALs and Iraqi soldiers were positioned. Monsoor quickly smothered the grenade with his body, absorbing the resulting explosion and saving his comrades from serious injury or death. Monsoor died about 30 minutes later from wounds caused by the grenade explosion.

That guy had an option that would have been better for him personally (dive away from grenade) but made the choice to put the lives of others ahead of his own. He's a much greater hero who showed far more courage and self-sacrifice than someone who just blew himself up when alone and surrounded.

We prefer those who were not captured
Any GI can tell you that for each guy doing the shooting three are working to supply him with the stuff to fight with. So I kind of think they all are hero's and honor them all.

It is difficult to understand when you're sitting at home.
So explain it to me.
He's a much greater hero
Life in any case - the most valuable thing for a person.
In any case, he gives the maximum.
The Russian pilot did not shoot himself. He let the terrorists to himself, and then blew up a grenade, shouting "for the guys."

but once he was shot down and surrounded
And before that, he had no choice? He could t choose another profession?

It did not take some amazing courage or self-sacrifice for the good of others.
Have you sacrificed more for the good of others?

And before that, he had no choice? He could t choose another profession?
Faulty logic. When he chose the profession he didn't know he'd end up dying in combat, in fact the odds of that happening were quite low.

A guy jumping on a grenade to save others shows courage, like the American I linked to. You pointing out the guy in your video joined the armed forces, just like millions of other young men and women do, does not in itself make him a hero on par with said people who choose a certain death so others might live.

Have you sacrificed more for the good of others?
The thread isn't about me.

Another example of soldiers who were much greater heroes than the dude who blew himself up when facing no other options:

Gordon and Shughart were part of a sniper team for Delta Force that was assigned to watch over the operation, engaging targets from their position in the Blackhawk. As they monitored the downing of the second Blackhawk, it became evident that ground forces would not be available to secure the crash site and protect the critically injured crew of four, all of whom survived the crash. Gordon, the sniper team leader, requested that they be inserted at the 2nd crash site. His request was denied twice before finally being approved on the third request. The snipers were armed only with their sniper rifles and pistols.

Upon reaching the downed Blackhawk, which was under intense enemy fire, Gordon and Shughart pulled the crew from the wreckage and proceeded to set up a defensive perimeter. The snipers, assisted by the severely injured Durant, began to engage the attacking Somalis from the opposite side of the wreckage using assault rifles stored on the Blackhawk. Shughart and Gordon were eventually mortally wounded after nearly exhausting all available ammunition; Durant, the only survivor, was taken hostage. According to Durant's account, 25 Somalis were killed and many more were wounded.

Those guys had choices, nobody would have judged them for not demanding to be put into a likely suicide mission to try to save their comrades. It took far more guts and self-sacrifice than this pilot you're holding up as God-like for having joined the military.

The thread isn't about me.
2:00 - 2:20

Why did American pilots in Vietnam not kill themselves?
Why do people surrender? It's not even a hero. It's simple.
Why?
They do not understand that they can be tortured? They do not understand that they have important military information?
Probably by the fact that killing yourself is a VERY DIFFICULT SOLUTION.
For you it's simple)

Last edited:
Why did American pilots in Vietnam not kill themselves?
Because they are courageous enough to face captivity like men, and many returned to the USA to again be with their families and serve their countries in other capacities.

Probably by the fact that killing yourself is a VERY DIFFICULT SOLUTION
Or the easier solution versus being captured. Maybe the braver ones decide to risk the difficulties of capture and it is the cowards who choose death.

For you it's simple)
Every time you try to make the thread about me, it says you aren't confident in your position. You don't know anything about me, the thread isn't about me.

Forum List

Back