Who is the best in Congress right now?

Just 10 or 14 true Independents in Congress to act and SPEAK like adults about what's happening would be enough to end the circus..

It's a comforting thought....

Since the shutdown only addresses 8% of the budget in dollars -- or about 22% of the personnel in staffing, THE VAST MAJORITY is unaffected.

So do the same congresscritters that are foisting this upon us get a paid vacation out of this?

This is both of the inept, childish parties acting totally irresponsible. Maneuvering SOLELY for political points. And playing games so that THEY get credit for stuff they TRASHED wnen the "other side" proposes it..

true.....and the partisan koolaid greases the wheel....

That's WHY it's all about obtaining and holding power and NOT ABOUT governing or principles

I believe we exist in an oligarchy , where the fascade of governing the masses have had their principals coerced flacaltenn

i'm given constant examples , usually by the more savvy posters that delve into detail

And to their credit, it really does boil down to critical thinking skills.

The morbid dogma of jingoism rules the land , moves the voters, aplauds the orwellian aspects of a failed system

Few take the time to learn the stark realities we're living, we are a nation in denial

~S~

You're describing the same sad state of affairs. But it's important to IDENTIFY the primary causes for all the "malaise".. And ABSO-Fucking-LUTELY -- the primary cause is the inherent instability of having just TWO political franchises available as choices is the PRIMARY problem.

You don't HAVE 535 representatives in Congress. You have 4 party bosses laying out the talking points and the strategy for DEFEATING the other.. With just a few INDEPENDENT voices, you'd see these people on interviews and TV giving BETTER insight and analysis into the issues and legislation..

I agree flacaltenn......so what the rx may be is on the table.......one possibility.......and i' not entirely sure about it.......got 6 minutes?

>>>>

~S~

Well put together. I'm sure there's a ton of populist support for something like an "Anti-Corruption" act. But I've spent 25 working with Indies and 3rd parties that want to do similar things and here's the prob....

You DO NOT want politicians writing agriculture, energy, or banking LAW ---- without AMPLE INPUT from the industries that exist. Without knowing the PLANS and problems that affect these industries, the morons in Congress would ABUSE their power to regulate them. Like mandating curly fluorescent light bulbs BEFORE a better alternate light bulb is ready for market. OR concentrating on "too big to fail" banks and KILLING the Credit Union marketplace.

After DECADES of contemplating this. Here's my conclusion.. Congress LARGELY shouldn't have the POWER to pick winners/losers in the marketplace. The Feds should NEVER subsidize anything that ALREADY EXISTS in the marketplace (like solar and wind or electric cars).. This only DESTROYS better companies with better solutions...

The problem ain't the MONEY kickbacks. It's the power to stick their incompetent noses into market functions they have no expertise to design.

So it's like it is in the Dept of Ag or the FAA -- If you read those charters, they have a CONFLICTING task. And that is to PROMOTE and REGULATE at the same time. Whether it's air travel or cows. Leftists see them as "equalizers" for errant capitalism, while righties see them as PROMOTERS of the business.

It's schizophrenic. And inept.

The problem isn't the KICKBACKS -- it's that Congress has too much POWER to sell.. And as long as they are SELLING that power -- if you ban the money -- it will revert to moving factories or offices to their districts or other FUNGIBLE transactions..

Could go on.. But that's not the topic. You need people who WANT to solve problems within the Constitutional BOUNDS of the Congress. NOT putting a wall between those 535 drama queens and the MILLIONS of folks in Corporate America that keep food on table, keep the lights on, and promote choice in how your wallet gets pilfered...

but......they;re paid to sell flacaltenn

so , how does one gaurantee allegiance when $$$$ creates bias?

i just don't understand ...???

~S~

They NEED to listen to the folks that make America run. I agree they should not PROFIT from favors. There's 2 levers here. The POWER TO pick winners/losers and grant favors, and the money they receive in return.

Like I said -- you stop the CASH and the returned favors will STILL EXIST. Like moving factories or employment opportunities to their districts. Or offering cushy JOBS for the politicians or their aides/family.

But if you pass laws restricting and focusing what the government can stick its "brown thumbs" into -- there's no more "power for sale". Govt simply has to focus and prioritize their power on the basics. Shrink DRASTICALLY in size. And perhaps it needs to be law that they DON'T have the power to subsidize stuff that folks can ALREADY BUY.. And another law that strips the power from grants targeted to just ONE company in a budding industry.

Elon Musk for example does NOT HAVE the BEST implementation of an electric car. YET -- ONLY HE gets $billions in support. This KILLS other ventures with BETTER ideas for electric cars. Because Congress didn't just support electric vehicle technology -- they PICKED a "winner" and said "screw the rest".. That's madness and counterproductive and Congress should NEVER HAD the power to pick a particular electric car design over all others.

Need to consider who actually DESIGNS america day to day. And make sure that Congress can't grant favors that make no advantage for the market or consumer. Govt is TOO BIG -- when you see this happening.

Happens in agriculture, Happens in banking. The "little guys" are toasted.. Tell them just to stay the fuck out of picking "winners".... More support for the Limited Powers called out in Constitution. Without all those porky powers, there would BE less lobbying and govt/corporate collusion.

Here's the dirty secret.. MOST large companies lobby BECAUSE they HAVE TO.. To protect themselves from Congress creating law that FAVORS their competition.,... MOST companies would NOT LOBBY if they didn't have to DO IT defensively.. Ponder it. It's complex.

Has to be a true "libertarian leaning" person with convictions. Not many of them outside the "Freedom Caucus".. So get a list of the Freedom Caucus members and there would be my best ).

My congressmen votes no to everything. He is a member of the Freedom Caucus. He is very effective at doing nothing, keeping his hands clean, speaking 18th century rhetoric, maintaining his comic book superhero reputation and ensuring the Republicans never accomplish anything. I passionately hate dead beats that never do their job. The voters love him. Trump called him out by name along with about 25 other Republicans that block everything based on principle.

He is the least effective congressman to ever live. I wish he would take his principles and become a pastor. He could give his seat to somebody that actually cares about this country more than his fat salary and his squeaky clean reputation.

You might like him. His name is Walter Jones. He likes to fight windmills and he is getting better and better each year the voters re-elect him. He might have killed Satan and tied his minions up with one hand tied behind his back. I haven't received the most recent Walter Jones comic book series. He is a true superhero. He probably wears a Cape to bed. I hate his guts but you would love him. He is worthless just like the other members of the freedom caucus.

Principled men obsessed with their own reputation above all things should never be in a dirty business like politics. They should take up preaching or maybe have a radio talk show. They should let real heroes do the work in congressmen.

Has to be a true "libertarian leaning" person with convictions. Not many of them outside the "Freedom Caucus".. So get a list of the Freedom Caucus members and there would be my best ).

My congressmen votes no to everything. He is a member of the Freedom Caucus. He is very effective at doing nothing, keeping his hands clean, speaking 18th century rhetoric, maintaining his comic book superhero reputation and ensuring the Republicans never accomplish anything. I passionately hate dead beats that never do their job. The voters love him. Trump called him out by name along with about 25 other Republicans that block everything based on principle.

He is the least effective congressman to ever live. I wish he would take his principles and become a pastor. He could give his seat to somebody that actually cares about this country more than his fat salary and his squeaky clean reputation.

You might like him. His name is Walter Jones. He likes to fight windmills and he is getting better and better each year the voters re-elect him. He might have killed Satan and tied his minions up with one hand tied behind his back. I haven't received the most recent Walter Jones comic book series. He is a true superhero. He probably wears a Cape to bed. I hate his guts but you would love him. He is worthless just like the other members of the freedom caucus.

Principled men obsessed with their own reputation above all things should never be in a dirty business like politics. They should take up preaching or maybe have a radio talk show. They should let real heroes do the work in congressmen.

You think HE is less impotent or useless than the OTHER 534? Don't think so. In fact, the underlying problem is that Congress ATTEMPTS too much and excels at absolutely nothing. Having a bit of humility about what Congress should even ATTEMPT to tackle is a very noble idea..

These folks are there to check ANYBODY -- Trump included, who try to end-run the Constitution or the Balance of Power between branches. You'll bless them when they're opposing the next megalomaniac that takes the White House or Congressional leadership....

Forum List

Back