Who is served first at the dinner table?

Who is served first at the dinner table?

• Total voters
knifeforkplain.jpg

18th century tableware. Easier to eat peas with the knife.
Lucky they only ate bread, meat and fruit.
That fork's not good for much, except spearing your tyrannosaurus steak.
and pitchin' hay, carrying to the lynching...

Yeah, I haven't been to a good lynching carrying a table fork in years.

I grew up on a farm and my parents prided themselves in being able to set our dinner table with 100% things from the farm. The only exception was the cornmeal for the cornbread, simply because it was easier (and better) to buy it already ground. I used to hate that sometimes we wouldn't have ANY meat on the table... it was ALL veggies. My dad grew up in the Great Depression and that's how they lived... and learned to like it.

Later, we started raising pigs and cows, and we would have meat with our meals but my sisters refused to eat the meat because they would become "attached" to the animals before we slaughtered them... it was kind of hard eating Ol' Bessy the cow... I didn't have a problem with that. To me, the farm fresh meat was SO much better than the processed crap you bought at the store. I can remember watching my grandmother wring chicken's necks and chop their heads off... and yes, they DO run around without their heads!

I grew up on a farm and my parents prided themselves in being able to set our dinner table with 100% things from the farm. The only exception was the cornmeal for the cornbread, simply because it was easier (and better) to buy it already ground. I used to hate that sometimes we wouldn't have ANY meat on the table... it was ALL veggies. My dad grew up in the Great Depression and that's how they lived... and learned to like it.

Later, we started raising pigs and cows, and we would have meat with our meals but my sisters refused to eat the meat because they would become "attached" to the animals before we slaughtered them... it was kind of hard eating Ol' Bessy the cow... I didn't have a problem with that. To me, the farm fresh meat was SO much better than the processed crap you bought at the store. I can remember watching my grandmother wring chicken's necks and chop their heads off... and yes, they DO run around without their heads!

My grammy told me stories about how she used to wring the chickens necks too, but she was very young. I didn't grow up on a farm, nor was I ever exposed to any animal slaughters. I would feel terrible for the animals and probably get attached to them too. I don't see how you can't when you feed them and care for them. I would feel like I betrayed their trust for one thing. :( That's why I prefer to buy my meat already cut up and packaged at the grocery store. It just looks like meat.

My grammy told me stories about how she used to wring the chickens necks too, but she was very young. I didn't grow up on a farm, nor was I ever exposed to any animal slaughters. I would feel terrible for the animals and probably get attached to them too. I don't see how you can't when you feed them and care for them. I would feel like I betrayed their trust for one thing. :( That's why I prefer to buy my meat already cut up and packaged at the grocery store. It just looks like meat.

Like I said, my sisters were like that... they just couldn't eat their "friends" that way. It never bothered me for some reason. I was able to separate family pets from food sources. We had dogs, I couldn't imagine having to eat one of them... but the pigs and cows were different to me. I knew that my father didn't purchase them for any other reason, they were always intended to be food on the table.

The pigs were especially troublesome. They are very smart animals. They would get out and I'd have to chase them all afternoon to corral them back in the pen. Just major pains in my butt... so I would name them after people I despised and when it came time to slaughter them, I was more than happy to put that bullet between their eyes. I know that may sound a little disturbed to someone who didn't grow up on a farm.

That's why I prefer to buy my meat already cut up and packaged at the grocery store. It just looks like meat.

I don't raise my own meat anymore, it's actually more expensive to do that these days than to buy it already processed. My dad figured this out on the cattle we raised.. he estimated we were paying about $5 a pound back in the 70s for beef when you factor in the feed, shots, medicine, hay, etc. That wasn't even counting the time. It was good but it was expensive as hell. You have to maintain a huge number of cattle for it to pay off. Pork is better because basically every part of the pig is used.

Today, I buy all my meats from a local farm. It's grass-fed beef and all organic. It is so much better tasting (and better for you) than anything you can buy at the grocery store. I feel sorry for people who've never had it or can't get it. It's almost like the difference between fresh seafood and canned seafood.

That's why I prefer to buy my meat already cut up and packaged at the grocery store. It just looks like meat.

I don't raise my own meat anymore, it's actually more expensive to do that these days than to buy it already processed. My dad figured this out on the cattle we raised.. he estimated we were paying about $5 a pound back in the 70s for beef when you factor in the feed, shots, medicine, hay, etc. That wasn't even counting the time. It was good but it was expensive as hell. You have to maintain a huge number of cattle for it to pay off. Pork is better because basically every part of the pig is used.

Today, I buy all my meats from a local farm. It's grass-fed beef and all organic. It is so much better tasting (and better for you) than anything you can buy at the grocery store. I feel sorry for people who've never had it or can't get it. It's almost like the difference between fresh seafood and canned seafood.

Well, I've had venison.

Today, I buy all my meats from a local farm. It's grass-fed beef and all organic. It is so much better tasting (and better for you) than anything you can buy at the grocery store.
I disagree. I think grain finished beef is tastier and cheaper. It's more tender, less greasy and has more marbling.

Forum List

Back