Who is Rick Perry?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by WatertheTree, Sep 9, 2011.

1. WatertheTree

WatertheTree Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    About two weeks ago the media wouldnt shut up about this guy from Texas who was considering running for the republican bid. Well, since then he tossed his hat in, and now the media just wont stop flappin their lips about him. Seems during the debat the camera sure loved him, and he was asked alot of easy questions intended to make him look tough and all that.

But who is this guy that I am being told is a front runner??? So far as I am aware he has made only a very limited few public appearances since he announced, but he is in the lead??? Who is making these decisions?? I had never heard of Rick Perry untill a couple months ago, when Maddow was making fun of his Jesus fest/Political event and all the right wing religious extremists in that direction.

Never heard him speak at any debth about any of the following issues which I deam important:

Foriegn Policy
    Peace in the Middle East
    China
    Minimum Wage
    Economy
    Education
    Immigration
    Help the Poor
    Enviornment
    Rampant Corruption
    Debt
    Monetary Policy
    Role of President
    Iran
    Military Funding
    Global Empire
    Food Subsidy's
    To name a few.

Can somone fill me in???

2. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,091
    They have this wonderful thing called "Google". Please avail yourself of it.

3. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Steve Perry's brother.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0&ob=av2n]Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (Live in Houston) - YouTube[/ame]

4. WatertheTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Read over his own website and it doesnt really say much. I mean it uses alot of words to describe him, but it doesnt say much. Mostly alot of commitments and 'ill do my bests'. Its as shallow as an insurance salesmans pitch.

5. Zagg

Zagg small el libertarian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A. It was August, the silly season. B. Political writers have 14 months worth of columns and articles to write before the election. That's a lot of inches to fill. Perry has filled a lot of those inches for them. C. And of course, the Internet pundits have to have something to talk about too.

6. WatertheTree

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Could it be that our 'frontrunner' has no solid platform because he has no opinions or views??

7. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    I rather hear, "I'll do my best" than Empty promises of Hope, Change, and Transparency.

8. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,069
    I use the "boxer" analogy; the guy not in the ring looks a lot better than those in the ring who have been trading punches.

I don't like Perry because he portrays himself one way but acts quite often in a different way. You may have seen the executive order he signed requiring all girls in Texas to get an injection for Gardasil which prevents STDs and also may prevent cervical cancer. Gardasil would have been a required injection to give to your daughter if you lived in Texas. If that is what he wants to do fine, we have elections and he can be voted out. But then he turns around and decries, quite often, about government interference. You can't have it both ways.

Recently, he bowed out of a debate with fellow GOPers to attend to the "wildfire crisis" in Texas. The fires, as it turned out, have been burning for several months and continue to burn. He bows out of one debate then turns around and goes to a debate some 72 hours later. He cites the crisis as a reason to duck a debate then shows up when there is free network coverage. You can't have it both ways.

The supposed jobs that were created on his watch in Texas are credits to him. Let that be clearly understood that if you happen to be the QB of a SuperBowl winning team, you get the credit for the win even though your defense and running game may have been featured. He gets credit. Does he deserve the credit? Maybe. Look, the retail gasoline market is based in Texas. According to one source I saw, the price in January 2002 for Gasoline was $1.11 on average. The price now is $3.65. Obviously the record profits the Texas based companies are making is keying a hiring uptick. If Texas had a bunch of semi-conductor plants; you wouldn't see this uptick. But Perry did do what was necessary to lure and keep businesses there; in other words, he didn't mess things up. So he gets credit in my book.

Texas ranks lowest in many categories and middle of the pack in most.

In short, he's just another politician. Some good, some bad. If you liked Bush Jr., you'll love Perry I suppose.

9. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    The neocon answer to Barry Obolshevik, only with slightly more executive experience.

Seriously....The guy is the biggest wind sock since Bubba Clintoon.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    It is true that Rick Perry's website is comically lacking in positions. The "Issues" section would fill about a printed page and consists largely of claims like

"Perry’s pro-growth agenda, combined with real spending reductions, will lead to a new era of economic growth and the creation of millions of American jobs"

or

"His [Perry's] first priority will be to get America’s economic engine running at full speed to restore our global economic leadership"

rather than specific statements of Rick Perry's actual positions.

Still, between Perry's long record as Governor and his book "Fed Up!", Perry is perhaps the most well-defined of the candidates, whether he would like to be or not.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1