Who is responsible for your place in life?

Who is most responsible for your place in life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are children in poverty responsible for their place in life?

From what I've read on these boards, the issue of children going hungry is sidestepped by calling their parents lowlifes, etc.

No, there parents are.

^5

Can I call it, or what.

:lol:

It may be your parents fault you are the way you are. It is your fault if you decide to stay that way.

I was a child of poverty, as were my 6 siblings. It wasn't our mother's fault that dad left nothing but a mountain of debt. We toughed it out for nearly 10 years before she was able to pay down that debt and rescue the business from near oblivion. Sure there was a small amount of Veteran's survivor benefits and SSI but it wasn't nearly enough to keep us fed and clothed. It was fucking hell.

I hold no animosity toward government or society. It's just the way the shit went down.

I just don't understand people today and their demands.

I was a child of poverty, as were my 6 siblings. It wasn't our mother's fault that dad left nothing but a mountain of debt. We toughed it out for nearly 10 years before she was able to pay down that debt and rescue the business from near oblivion. Sure there was a small amount of Veteran's survivor benefits and SSI but it wasn't nearly enough to keep us fed and clothed. It was fucking hell.

I hold no animosity toward government or society. It's just the way the shit went down.

"People" and their demands. Very vague. Have you anything more than that? What people? How many of them are there? What motivates them?

Funny. You apparently had it better than I did (a business to rescue, survivor's benefits, SSI) - yet I can see that society needs safety nets.

We are all responsible for our own successes and failures. No politician or political party is going to save you. So don't wait for that happen. God will save you though. Turn to God and you'll see a big difference in your life. Have faith.

Are you a millionaire?
What difference would that make?
Ultimately, it's none of your business.
Very simple...Each of us is to be held accountable for our actions.
No one one owes anyone anything.
There is no free lunch. Drug addiction and alcoholism are not diseases in the same vein as Cerebral Palsy or any other acquired ailment. The former are afflictions brought on by behavior. Behavior is the responsibility of the individual.

We are all responsible for our own successes and failures. No politician or political party is going to save you. So don't wait for that happen. God will save you though. Turn to God and you'll see a big difference in your life. Have faith.

Are you a millionaire?

Do you only consider an individual successful if they are a millionaire?
Why would anyone consider that?
Are you hung up on money that you find it imperative you ask pigeon hole gotcha questions?

All the above.

You think you would have the same capacity to succeed if you were born in Rwanda as you do if you were born here?
Just cut out the Bullshit. What the fuck does that have to do with anything?
If you are so concerned about the plight of Rwandans, go to the doctor, get your shots, hop on a plane and go fix Rwanda the way you think it needs to be.

Sure it matters. According to you either you're a failure because you're not a millionaire or God let you down by not living up to his end of the bargain. So which is it?

You are assuming 'being a success' is being a millionaire. Hardly. Personal contentment does not come fom just money, but attitude, love and faith. None of those things happen spontaneously. They all take effort and understanding.

I'm going on the notion that the fringe right wing nuts on this site have repeatedly preached that everything you do in life is your own choice and you have full control. That millionaires worked hard for their success and should not be "punished".

These same people preach how independent they are and how they've earned everything that they have. However MANY of these same people are not millionaires themselves in fact most are barely making ends meet, don't have health insurance, are unemployed and are barely getting by.

Apparently all it takes is hard work and determination to be a millionaire if you ask the far-right. So if I were to listen to what they are preaching I would have to consider any of them who is not a millionaire to be a failure. Because they should just "work harder", "stop being lazy" and stop "blaming others".
Wow! You came up with that all by yourself?
BTW, do YOU think all people who have over one million dollars in net wealth should be "punished"?

Yes! ANOTHER thread designed to prompt unrelenting masturbation from the nutters.

Even though many of the protesters.....myself included.....are firmly grounded in comfortable middle class circumstances....these nutters believe that they own the rights to personal responsibility.

My protests are not in response to the situation that I am currently in financially.....but in response to the knowledge that if we do not do something to rebuild the middle class and re-establish a strong manufacturing base here.....the decline will continue. Voting in the best interests of the poorest among us is voting in my best interests.

Unlike nutters, I feel that my actions ( and inactions ) have an effect on others as well as myself. We are not alone in this world.
Fine. If you believe your actions are so earth shattering, you lead the way. I want you to write that first check to the federal government so they can begin the process to right the world.
I find it amazing how your side's idea of compassion always begins in someone else's bank account.
What the fuck is a "nutter"....
You post is filled with hate. The hate that typically comes from lib/progressives who bear their talons against anyone who dares challenge the lefty agenda.
You people are closed minded and judgemental.
"Middle Class" and "manufacturing"...Buzz words used by the Left to represent the interests of labor organizations.

The real answer for everyone is:

"All of the above plus some".

However, a major determinant of financial success is an individuals level of single minded selfishness. Most of the financially successful people I've known, and I've known quite a few, are extreme narcissists.

Responsibilities to other people can play a major role in preventing an individual from achieving financial success. Honesty and the adherence to morals also dampen the prospects.

There a lot of truth to the phrase:

"it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

-Matthew 19:24
I thought at one time you were full of shit..Now I am convinced that is a fact.

I'm going on the notion that the fringe right wing nuts on this site have repeatedly preached that everything you do in life is your own choice and you have full control. That millionaires worked hard for their success and should not be "punished".

These same people preach how independent they are and how they've earned everything that they have. However MANY of these same people are not millionaires themselves in fact most are barely making ends meet, don't have health insurance, are unemployed and are barely getting by.

Apparently all it takes is hard work and determination to be a millionaire if you ask the far-right. So if I were to listen to what they are preaching I would have to consider any of them who is not a millionaire to be a failure. Because they should just "work harder", "stop being lazy" and stop "blaming others".

if you want, but that's stupid. You ever stop and think that not everyone sits around and dreams about being millionaires ? While sure, they live paycheck to paycheck, they may be happy that they were not stupid enough to buy that house when they were handing them out left and right or that they did not use there credit to live beyond there means Are they failures ? See, the ones that are really hurting are the ones who did all that. They did not make enough money to fund there life style. So they subsidized it with a line of credit. When it came time to pay up, they could not, so they got hurt. in my mind that makes them the failures, not the folks who saved there money and not draw five lines of credit.

Tell that to the people who idolize the rich and define "moochers" by how much money someone makes.
Is that the story you are sticking to?

Okay. And if your company downsized and you were in an accident whereby the hospital bills ate all your money, and you couldn't work anymore (see, this is the only way I can think of to get you to see that there are NO guarantees) - would you still be going "I got mine, and everybody else just needs to STFU"?
Who said that?
Of course there are no guarantees.
It's very interesting watching you lefties scheme your way toward a conclusion. That conclusion is you people believe in central control of wealth. That any amount YOU deem "excessive" should be surrendered to government so that government can in turn give it to groups who you have awarded protected class status.

Good point. Infants, toddlers and children should know where to get food, shelter and the basics they need to survive.

Post is to stupid to address any further, other then pointing out how stupid it was.

Or was it so insightful it nearly blew your mind?

In case you missed it, the point is that not all people start on anything close to a level playing field. And thus, people are NOT entirely responsible for their role in life. Yes, people are responsible for reacting to their situation but we have millions of people who start out with situations that are very difficult to overcome. Situations that they were dealt and are not to be blamed for.
Oh fuck you and you level playing field nonsense.
I am sick and tired of the "level playing field" crutch.
Look genius, picking winners and losers is NOT an essential function of government.
If there are people who for reasons other than disease or disability who do not at least try to overcome the generational disadvantages( generation after generation of living in poverty and on the public dole) then yes it IS their fault.
IN any event the notion of the level playing field is just another part of the lefty progressive wealth redistribution agenda.
You people think up these protected class groups and then wish to see them showered with your brand of compassion. You do this based solely on your own self hatred and overwhelming guilt of your own accomplishments. Because you are so miserable about how well you believe you have done, you think everyone else should be miserable.
Yeah you can take that misery and stick it where the sun don't shine.

From what I've read on these boards, the issue of children going hungry is sidestepped by calling their parents lowlifes, etc.

If parents let there kids go hungry they are indeed lowlife's. There is no excuse for going hungry in this country.

Sure there is, and apparently you've never been there. It's called NO MONEY.
Oh please....I've seen these people who supposedly have no money. No money to pay the electric bill. No money to pay the phone bill, etc.
I had to hire some temp labor a few months back. One of the guys told me he took his check and spent it on steaks and had a barbecue. Meanwhile he's asking me for gas money to get to the job sit. He's also bitching about his cell phone minutes.
Now I have to ask....What the fuck is this guy who claims he cannot afford his only link to get work and gas to get to and from work doing buying STEAKS?
This is the kind of irresponsibility most folks cannot tolerate.
This is the basis of this thread.
And you people have the gall to start interjecting all this nonsense about Rwanda, starving kids and level fields of play..All bullshit and evades the issue.

I have known several immigrants that came to this country with absolutely nothing. One man got off the plane with $20.00 in his pocket. He got a job washing dishes in a restaurant and slept in the alley behind the restaurant. He came from the Phillipines. He now owns a string of restaurants.

Another man came from Greece at 14 years old. No money, no family. Started sweeping floors in a garment district sweat shop where the owner brought him leftovers to eat and let him sleep on the floor. Odd thing about this guy, he became an low paid apprentice to a tailor and saved enough to open up his own tailor shop. He and his wife raised a family in the back of that tailor shop when they already owned a few rental houses. Now they own both commercial and residential real estate.

The main difference that I see with people like this and the poor of this country is a willingness to work harder than anyone else for less than is paid to anyone else and a willingness to sacrifice whatever it takes.
The lefties will seek out your home and light it on fire for even mentioning these examples.
Just watch.

No, there parents are.

Then whose responsibility is it to see that these children, who are innocent of the terms of their circumstances,

are not thus punished for the same if in fact their parents do not or cannot fulfill their responsibilities?
Whomever wishes to take on the task.
You are evading the issue.
You wish to see the kids taken care of. Who doesn't. However, you do not want to do it yourself. By the same token you feel compassion and deem everyone else should pitch in. Yet you will not lead by example. Your agenda is to use the threat of government sanctions to compel others to fulfill your goals.

My luck is working in an industry with a high turn over rate. I was not even unemployed long enough to collect (or need really) my first months benefits. My family and I dont "survive" we thrive. We do this by living within our means. There is no irony at all.

Thriving is apply for unemployment and food stamps? Keep moving those goal posts.

Read before you post. I was not unemployed long enough to collect benefits. I start a new job tommrow. No starving, no homelessness. Where is the goal post movement ? We don sit around and scheme for million, and we dont feel oppressed by the man . We wake up happy, and live our lives.

But but but there's no jobs!! You didn't actually get off yer ass and go looking for one did you?

Forum List

Back