Who is responsible for your place in life?

Who is most responsible for your place in life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have known several immigrants that came to this country with absolutely nothing. One man got off the plane with $20.00 in his pocket. He got a job washing dishes in a restaurant and slept in the alley behind the restaurant. He came from the Phillipines. He now owns a string of restaurants.

Another man came from Greece at 14 years old. No money, no family. Started sweeping floors in a garment district sweat shop where the owner brought him leftovers to eat and let him sleep on the floor. Odd thing about this guy, he became an low paid apprentice to a tailor and saved enough to open up his own tailor shop. He and his wife raised a family in the back of that tailor shop when they already owned a few rental houses. Now they own both commercial and residential real estate.

The main difference that I see with people like this and the poor of this country is a willingness to work harder than anyone else for less than is paid to anyone else and a willingness to sacrifice whatever it takes.

So, Are you saying that the field was, or was not level for those guys ?

I have known several immigrants that came to this country with absolutely nothing. One man got off the plane with $20.00 in his pocket. He got a job washing dishes in a restaurant and slept in the alley behind the restaurant. He came from the Phillipines. He now owns a string of restaurants.

Another man came from Greece at 14 years old. No money, no family. Started sweeping floors in a garment district sweat shop where the owner brought him leftovers to eat and let him sleep on the floor. Odd thing about this guy, he became an low paid apprentice to a tailor and saved enough to open up his own tailor shop. He and his wife raised a family in the back of that tailor shop when they already owned a few rental houses. Now they own both commercial and residential real estate.

The main difference that I see with people like this and the poor of this country is a willingness to work harder than anyone else for less than is paid to anyone else and a willingness to sacrifice whatever it takes.

And all the children that have died in poverty for every 1 kid who miraculously achieved greatness?

If we could just make it even harder for poor people to escape their circumstance and achieve prosperity,

just think how much better those few and far between stories would sound!!!!

then whose responsibility is it to see that these children, who are innocent of the terms of their circumstances,

are not thus punished for the same if in fact their parents do not or cannot fulfill their responsibilities?

cps.

So, you're advocating more children in the foster care system, rather than fixing what's wrong with this country? I.E., see my sig.

If there parents will not address there needs yes. I have a good friend who is a case worker for CPS. They dont just exist to warehouse children in the system until they are 18 . While she is not officially involved, she has been extremely helpful in some aspects of my life. No excuse for starving kids in the USA.

then whose responsibility is it to see that these children, who are innocent of the terms of their circumstances,

are not thus punished for the same if in fact their parents do not or cannot fulfill their responsibilities?

cps.

So, you're advocating more children in the foster care system, rather than fixing what's wrong with this country? I.E., see my sig.

Do you honestly believe improved economic conditions will eliminate the need for child protective services?

If there parents will not address there needs yes. I have a good friend who is a case worker for CPS. They dont just exist to warehouse children in the system until they are 18 . While she is not officially involved, she has been extremely helpful in some aspects of my life. No excuse for starving kids in the USA.

So instead of food stamps, and tax breaks, Medicaid, etc., etc., for poorer families, we should abduct the children and institutionalize them until they're adults?

jeezus, what next?

Too many parents complain that after they bought that case of beer and lid of pot, the government needs to support the kids.

cps.

It's not what's wrong with the country. It's what's wrong with the parents. If the "country" is going to be mother and father to the children whose parents won't take care of them, then go all in and take the children away.

This is telling of conservatives: the blind adherence to dogma, the one-dimensional perception of the world, the rejection of pragmatism, and an inability to understand that life is complicated and lacks order, there is no one clear, simple answer as to why a given person is the way he is – and that fact causes conservatives great frustration.

This is telling of conservatives: the blind adherence to dogma, the one-dimensional perception of the world, the rejection of pragmatism, and an inability to understand that life is complicated and lacks order, there is no one clear, simple answer as to why a given person is the way he is – and that fact causes conservatives great frustration.

Pompous bullshit. No amount of eloquence in a statement on a subject adds any substance to it. Its still crap. We are responsible for our lots in life. No one is responsible for your life but you.

And all the children that have died in poverty for every 1 kid who miraculously achieved greatness?

If we could just make it even harder for poor people to escape their circumstance and achieve prosperity,

just think how much better those few and far between stories would sound!!!!

Most children in the US do not die of poverty. They die of parental neglect. They die because their parents are on drugs, alcoholics or just don't give a damn.

No matter how hard it is, some people will escape poverty because they want to. They want to more than anything in the world. They will work incredibly hard, sacrifice everything they can sacrifice to escape poverty. Others will just wallow.

We just need to make it easier and better for parents to be able to neglect their children.

Child Protective Services. He's advocating removing the children.

Guess we're gonna need a bigger safety net!

Well, you advocate leaving them in a home where there parents wont feed or clothe them ?

Not won't. Can't. And you're going to lose your badge if you advocate more social services, i.e., foster care spending.

There is no CANT. Only WONT. If parents WONT properly feed, clothe and house there children then the children are being neglected, and that is grounds for removal from the home. And the foster care spending is may not be so bad compared to the benefits spending. And so you know, I dont carry a "badge". I am no slave to any form of political method of thought, I do realize that its ok to accept a helping hand when you need it, but that its not ok to make a living from that helping hand. Adults are responsible for the situation they are in. If they have minor children, then they are responsible for the kids as well.

Did these instances happen in the past five years? Because where the country is now? They wouldn't be able to do so.

Well, you advocate leaving them in a home where there parents wont feed or clothe them ?

Not won't. Can't. And you're going to lose your badge if you advocate more social services, i.e., foster care spending.

There is no CANT. Only WONT. If parents WONT properly feed, clothe and house there children then the children are being neglected, and that is grounds for removal from the home. And the foster care spending is may not be so bad compared to the benefits spending. And so you know, I dont carry a "badge". I am no slave to any form of political method of thought, I do realize that its ok to accept a helping hand when you need it, but that its not ok to make a living from that helping hand. Adults are responsible for the situation they are in. If they have minor children, then they are responsible for the kids as well.

There is can't! How can you live in this country and NOT KNOW THAT PEOPLE ARE LOSING EVERYTHING!? They're fighting to survive! People who made $40 an hour as a couple are living in "pay weekly" motels after they both lost their jobs and ran out of unemployment! How can you not know.

I don't get it.

Forum List

Back