Who is responsible for YOU?

Yourself, or government?

And at what point does the country crumble? The top 20% or so of wage earners can only support so many people... At some point the top 20% are going to realize that it's not worth it to work... This means no new drugs, no new technology, etc... Is that really what the people of this country want?

They may have to experience that to discover that truth. At least the country's founders gave us a foundation for revival, the idea of individual states, for as long as we can keep them.

Yourself, or government?

And at what point does the country crumble? The top 20% or so of wage earners can only support so many people... At some point the top 20% are going to realize that it's not worth it to work... This means no new drugs, no new technology, etc... Is that really what the people of this country want?

The presuppositions of your rhetorical question is flawed, KMAN.

If the bottom 80% have no encentive to work, how rich will the top 20% be?

A functioning society is a symbiotic relationship between the classes, amigo.

When one class becomes too dominant, and the others find themselves unable to thrive, that society is going down and that means that the vast majority of that 20% are going to go down with it, too.

I knew I shouldn't have added that last paragragh... it's makes it too difficult for people to answer the original question... so let me remove the paragraph and just ask the question.... It shouldn't be that hard of a question to answer but maybe it is for some.....sad.

Last edited:
Yourself, or government?

The presuppositions of your rhetorical question is flawed, KMAN.

If the bottom 80% have no encentive to work, how rich will the top 20% be?

A functioning society is a symbiotic relationship between the classes, amigo.

When one class becomes too dominant, and the others find themselves unable to thrive, that society is going down and that means that the vast majority of that 20% are going to go down with it, too.

So if 99% of the country is working and 1% is not, the country is going to crumble???? How so?

Allow me to modify this question. Without taxes and/or the government would the brains of the likes of Kman be completely empty of thought?

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth

man... I didn't realize it would be this hard to answer this question.... They can't even answer a simple yes or no question.... You guys need to run for office...

Last edited:
I knew I shouldn't have added that last paragragh... it's makes it too difficult for people to answer the original question... so let me remove the paragraph and just ask the question.... It shouldn't be that hard of a question to answer but maybe it is for some.....sad.

Removing the last paragraph so dumbs down the question as to make it meaningless.

The complex economic reality that we live with is not condusive to that sort to black/white thinking.

It's not the 18th century, amigo. W

e're not living in a land where we can just head out to the wilderness and live lives of deperate self sufficiency and subsistence farming.

In fact people couldn't even really do that then, either. They brought the benefits of civilization with them, and they depended on civilization to keep them going even when they lived far outside the confines of civil society, too.

Trappers and traders still brought their goods to society so they could buy the stuff they needed to survive the wilderness.

It's a lovely myth that you believe in, of course, about individualism and self reliance, but it was a myth then for the majority of people, and its even more a myth now.

You are no more completely in control of you life than any welfare mother.

Neither, for that matter, is Bill Gates.

Civilization just doesn't work in that simplistic way your world view is informing you it does.

Last edited:
Don't bother KMAN. I've asked a similar question at least a half dozen time in other threads. I have yet to get an answer. I worded it slightly different. Many of the lefties here have made it all to clear what they are NOT responsible for. So instead of making excuses why don't some of you lefties (maybe ed, since I asked you specifically and you didn't answer) tell us what you feel you ARE responsible for at an individual level.

" A man makes his own way, no one gives it to you ....." Frank Costello

Don't bother KMAN. I've asked a similar question at least a half dozen time in other threads. I have yet to get an answer. I worded it slightly different. Many of the lefties here have made it all to clear what they are NOT responsible for. So instead of making excuses why don't some of you lefties (maybe ed, since I asked you specifically and you didn't answer) tell us what you feel you ARE responsible for at an individual level.

I just don't understand it... I would be embarrassed to know that I couldn't take care of myself and needed someone elses help... Where is their pride?

Didn't JFK have a great saying about this very issue.

"Ask not what your country can do for you , but what you can do for your country."

This thinking has been lost.

Seems like the exact opposite is true.

Removing the last paragraph so dumbs down the question as to make it meaningless.

The complex economic reality that we live with is not condusive to that sort to black/white thinking.

It's not the 18th century, amigo. W

e're not living in a land where we can just head out to the wilderness and live lives of deperate self sufficiency and subsistence farming.

In fact people couldn't even really do that then, either. They brought the benefits of civilization with them, and they depended on civilization to keep them going even when they lived far outside the confines of civil society, too.

Trappers and traders still brought their goods to society so they could buy the stuff they needed to survive the wilderness.

It's a lovely myth that you believe in, of course, about individualism and self reliance, but it was a myth then for the majority of people, and its even more a myth now.

You are no more completely in control of you life than any welfare mother.

Neither, for that matter, is Bill Gates.

Civilization just doesn't work in that simplistic way your world view is informing you it does.

that people should be totally self sufficient is not what anyone is arguing. Yet another pathetic, weak attempt by you to misconstrue what people are saying to blow your own ego. Yes we depend on each other at some level. the question what do we depend on each other for. I think the answer to that is that we depend on (those of us that are perfectly able bodied) each other to NOT burden each other, to fulfill our potential.

How I see your argument and most others I have been debating this with is that extrapolate this concept that we all rely on each other to some extent to the point where you feel you have the right to depend on others. Either my presumption there is inaccurate or it is what you believe or it is a reality of your position
that you just haven't thought about. take your pick. But that mentality is dangerous to society because it works with human nature in the sense that if we all took the position that we have the right to depend on others for our needs who is going to be left to actually provide them?

Last edited:

I just don't understand it... I would be embarrassed to know that I couldn't take care of myself and needed someone elses help... Where is their pride?

being strong armed by a failing system that you capitalistas invoked on our country. Ask Bern all about those videos and articles that chaffe your sense of a free market.

being strong armed by a failing system that you capitalistas invoked on our country. Ask Bern all about those videos and articles that chaffe your sense of a free market.

No one every claimed it was a free market either. keep spitting into the wind shogun.

what is ironic as fuck about this thread is that I'd bet money, marbles and chalk that the very people who are crying about total self reliance also claim to be christians. Clearly, they are not their brother's keeper.

No one every claimed it was a free market either. keep spitting into the wind shogun.

Are you suggesting that the free market has NOT been your mantra during the last batch of years, Bern? Of course it's not absolutely free but is that or IS THAT NOT the direction your kind keep trying to pull the tog o' war rope?

Read any good articles about shitty jobs and exponential rates of applicants today, Bern?

what is ironic as fuck about this thread is that I'd bet money, marbles and chalk that the very people who are crying about total self reliance also claim to be christians. Clearly, they are not their brother's keeper.

Please point to the people that are claiming we should be totally self sufficient.

New Topics

Forum List

Back