Who is responsible for YOU?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KMAN, Feb 20, 2009.

1. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Yourself, or government?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    They may have to experience that to discover that truth. At least the country's founders gave us a foundation for revival, the idea of individual states, for as long as we can keep them.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    The presuppositions of your rhetorical question is flawed, KMAN.

If the bottom 80% have no encentive to work, how rich will the top 20% be?

A functioning society is a symbiotic relationship between the classes, amigo.

When one class becomes too dominant, and the others find themselves unable to thrive, that society is going down and that means that the vast majority of that 20% are going to go down with it, too.

4. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I knew I shouldn't have added that last paragragh... it's makes it too difficult for people to answer the original question... so let me remove the paragraph and just ask the question.... It shouldn't be that hard of a question to answer but maybe it is for some.....sad.

5. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269

So if 99% of the country is working and 1% is not, the country is going to crumble???? How so?

6. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,302
    Allow me to modify this question. Without taxes and/or the government would the brains of the likes of Kman be completely empty of thought?

"There is no historical evidence that tax cuts spur economic growth. The highest period of growth in U.S. history (1933-1973) also saw its highest tax rates on the rich: 70 to 91 percent. During this period, the general tax rate climbed as well, but it reached a plateau in 1969, and growth slowed down five years later. Almost all rich nations have higher general taxes than the U.S., and they are growing faster as well."

Tax cuts spur economic growth

7. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
    man... I didn't realize it would be this hard to answer this question.... They can't even answer a simple yes or no question.... You guys need to run for office...

8. MalibuMan

MalibuMan Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm ultimatley responible for myself. The last thing I want from the government is their help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Removing the last paragraph so dumbs down the question as to make it meaningless.

The complex economic reality that we live with is not condusive to that sort to black/white thinking.

It's not the 18th century, amigo. W

e're not living in a land where we can just head out to the wilderness and live lives of deperate self sufficiency and subsistence farming.

In fact people couldn't even really do that then, either. They brought the benefits of civilization with them, and they depended on civilization to keep them going even when they lived far outside the confines of civil society, too.

Trappers and traders still brought their goods to society so they could buy the stuff they needed to survive the wilderness.

It's a lovely myth that you believe in, of course, about individualism and self reliance, but it was a myth then for the majority of people, and its even more a myth now.

You are no more completely in control of you life than any welfare mother.

Neither, for that matter, is Bill Gates.

Civilization just doesn't work in that simplistic way your world view is informing you it does.

10. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Don't bother KMAN. I've asked a similar question at least a half dozen time in other threads. I have yet to get an answer. I worded it slightly different. Many of the lefties here have made it all to clear what they are NOT responsible for. So instead of making excuses why don't some of you lefties (maybe ed, since I asked you specifically and you didn't answer) tell us what you feel you ARE responsible for at an individual level.