Who is God? Use the Bible only.

Nobody has ever seen God. This is likely due to God's invisibility.

John 1:18

According to the Bible, anybody claims to have seen God is a liar. This would include that Joseph Smith fellow.

Exodus 33:21-23
21 And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Exodus 33:11
11 And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.

Genesis 32:30
30 And Jacob called the name of the place
Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

Deuteronomy 34:10
10 And there arose not a
prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face,

All living things are part of God, have a soul, and thus are special. Life is special. It is pure ignorance, foolishness and arrogance to think only man on Earth is special to God.

I don't want to take his thread off topic, but that part of your post stood out to me. I definitely agree with the last sentence. But it leads me to ask you... are you vegetarian or vegan?

I will start.

God is creator of the heavens and the earth.

Genesis 1:1

Why are you being a charlatan? Why don't you give up your position to someone who is a true believer and has faith and they'll get much more out of it.?

Since you're a self-admitted atheist who quotes the Bible...

God is a bane to atheists.

"The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds;
there is none who does good."
Psalm 14:1

Well. I wanted to keep the discussion honest but I am outnumbered. All of the participants here hate the God in the Bible. They have created their own. I call hypocritical if you and other Christian's are allowed to passionately hate God but when an atheist hates God it is somehow bad.
My story: At a young age I had an experience of God. As the Bible tells us, God is love, and my experience was one of pure love. God loves all, it is who He is at all times. This being so, I never questioned God, but I did question the authors of Biblical stories. How did they get is so wrong?

They did not. It simply took me years of study of ancient times, the Hebrew language, ancient cultures, and histories--and above all how they communicated in pictures and stories to teach their histories and lessons.

Every single story in the Bible was written in hindsight. The role God is given in these stories is pointing to what had gone wrong--and the emotions assigned to God in these stories depicted just how wrong it had gone. Jewish Rabbis and scholars have understood this for centuries and more. Rabbis have always insisted that scripture is to be studied, not read.

At the time of the Reformation, the Church said that people needed instruction on scriptures--and provided it. Protestants insisted that each person could read and understand all scripture on their own. To me, this is one of the biggest mistakes modern humans have ever made. Every Christian Church needs a Jewish Rabbi or a scholar of the Old Testament who knows Hebrew, ancient cultures, ancient history with a solid background on teaching methods used in those days.

If we taught children (and adults) properly, we would not eliminate atheism, but we would all better understand each other and stop accusations that Christians either love a God who hates and murders babies, or are making up their own God. Believers would better understand non-belief as well.

I agree with most of what I have seen you post over the years. You have a knowledge of scripture that is lacking by most of the self appointed experts on this board.

I read the OT (KJV) when I was eight, was anointed when I was ten, interpreted tongues when I was twelve and didn't read the NT until I was sixteen. I wish I had read it earlier. Left the Church for forty years just before I read the NT. Witnessed the Law when I was thirty three to people who absolutely did not want to hear it. When I was fifty five, my dying bother expressed a desire to go to Church. I took him and went to the altar for the first time in forty five years. I'm sure I wasn't on my knees for more that a minute and made what I thought was a simple request. Now, everyone I tell about what happened as a consequence of that trip to the altar considers me a delusional madman. Be careful what you ask for at the altar, you just might get it.

This is why I want religion as an elective in public schools. The ignorance is staggering, and we need to be better educated on scripture and on how ancient people passed on lessons/knowledge.

I read the OT (KJV) when I was eight, was anointed when I was ten, interpreted tongues when I was twelve and didn't read the NT until I was sixteen. I wish I had read it earlier. Left the Church for forty years just before I read the NT. Witnessed the Law when I was thirty three to people who absolutely did not want to hear it. When I was fifty five, my dying bother expressed a desire to go to Church. I took him and went to the altar for the first time in forty five years. I'm sure I wasn't on my knees for more that a minute and made what I thought was a simple request. Now, everyone I tell about what happened as a consequence of that trip to the altar considers me a delusional madman. Be careful what you ask for at the altar, you just might get it.

I would like to hear about what you asked for at the altar...and what you received, if you do not mind sharing.

Fake made up gods make me angry and make we want to start killing people. It is so fucking abhorrent, disgusting and repulsive when Christian's start doing that.

Whoa. I didn't even get to this part. I thought you were trolling again.

You are a very troubled man for whatever reason. It's probably better if you not read the Bible if that is what angers you. It seems you have so much anger towards something you do not believe in. Something you do not believe with all your heart. It's making you delusional. You should try to get help from someone close to you whom can get you professional help. Someone in your family or church. You can't get it in a forum.

I don't know the exact chapter and verse, but the Bible clearly states, "God is love." I guess that's as good a definition as any.

These are probably the verses you are seeking:

“Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love” (John 4: 7, 8, KJV).

Here's a special gift for you, a link to one of the best Biblical research sources out there. The link provides dozens of versions and has both word search and verse search. I use it all the time.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

I apologize for the misquote. The actual verses are from 1 John: 4: 7,8. I didn't see the mistake in time to edit.

Forum List

Back