Who is God? Use the Bible only.

God loves the smell of burnt animals. He loves it so much that it even subsides His anger.

Genesis 8:21
Exodus 29:18
Exodus 29:25
Exodus 29:41
Leviticus 1:9
Leviticus 1:13
Leviticus 1:17
Leviticus 2:2
Leviticus 2:9
Leviticus 2:12
Leviticus 3:5
Leviticus 3:16
Leviticus 4:31
Leviticus 6:15
Leviticus 6:21
Leviticus 8:21
Leviticus 8:28
Leviticus 17:6

God also likes the smell of Christ His son.

2 Corinthians 2:15
Ephesians 5:2

God is invisible.

Hebrews 11:27

God is exactly like the firstborn of every loving creature. This includes Jesus Christ. God is like Jesus Christ.

Colossians 1:15

I might find some more mess in Colossians.

The best way to prove he’s not genuine is to ask him what each of the parables means.

He doesn’t have a clue because he’s a fake.

I made this thread specifically for you so that you could accurately describe the attributes of the God in the Bible.

If you are not going to participate then I guess I will throw in the towel too. I have to ask though. Why do you refuse to discuss the attributes of the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?

Hath God offended thee?

If you aren't going to critique my findings or add your findings then I am just going to leave this thread to the wolves. It is no fun without you. Another question: are you going to start that thread about the parables of Jesus or that storm situation that you mentioned earlier? I would be glad to participate. Just let me know.

I don't know the exact chapter and verse, but the Bible clearly states, "God is love." I guess that's as good a definition as any.

These are probably the verses you are seeking:

“Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love” (John 4: 7, 8, KJV).

Here's a special gift for you, a link to one of the best Biblical research sources out there. The link provides dozens of versions and has both word search and verse search. I use it all the time.

BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.
Thanks very much, Professor.

I am using the King James Bible but this is just a discussion. Other translations are ok.

Is Hebrew OK?

File:K%C3%B6ln-Tora-und-Innenansicht-Synagoge-Glockengasse-040.JPG
File:K%C3%B6ln-Tora-und-Innenansicht-Synagoge-Glockengasse-040.JPG

My objective is to accurately represent the god in the Bible.

The Creator is not depicted by a statue in the Bible. The Ark that carried the god of the Hebrews was always empty, and never held anything. So He was often refered to as the 'Invisible God'.

The Creator was not born like the gods of other nations. He existed before the universe.

while other nations godlings were depicted as being the god of this or that, the Creator of the Hebrews was noted for His Being.

'I am that I am' is His Name.

Unlike silly superstitions, the Creator of the Hebrews was anthropomorphised repeatedly by various writers of the Old Testament, but John said that He is th e Logos.

The Gospel according to John, chapter 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcomea]">[a] it.....

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth....

16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

Int he Book of Acts of the Apostles, chapter 17, , St Paul says about Aristotle's Unknown God:

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[c]

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

32 When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, “We want to hear you again on this subject.” 33 At that, Paul left the Council. 34 Some of the people became followers of Paul and believed.

So St Paul identifies the Creator of Judaism and Christianity with the Creator of Aristotle. The church accepted this of course as it came from a widely recognized authority of the Early Church.

But none of this is really relevant, since it h as nothing at all to do with the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or the godlings of polytheism at all, and yet ignorant atheists make these comparisons all the time, while Christians that understand their own theology just laugh at them.

That verse has nothing to do with the actual physical smell of Jesus, are you joking? :lmao:

First of all, the verse is describing US, not Jesus. Paul is using fragrance as a way to describe knowledge of God, in other words it's just a figure of speech. He's saying that when we are saved and triumphant in Christ, it is like a sweet fragrance to God, it's obviously a figure of speech.

As for the verses on animal sacrifices, I have been studying this topic, and I still have a lot of research and studying to do, but I'm beginning to come to a completely different view than most Christians... and since it's controversial, and since like I said, I'm not done researching this topic, I don't want to talk about where my views are heading, in regard to those verses. So for now I'll just say this.The truth is not at all what you are claiming.

That verse has nothing to do with the actual physical smell of Jesus, are you joking? :lmao:

First of all, the verse is describing US, not Jesus. Paul is using fragrance as a way to describe knowledge of God, in other words it's just a figure of speech. He's saying that when we are saved and triumphant in Christ, it is like a sweet fragrance to God, it's obviously a figure of speech.

As for the verses on animal sacrifices, I have been studying this topic, and I still have a lot of research and studying to do, but I'm beginning to come to a completely different view than most Christians... and since it's controversial, and since like I said, I'm not done researching this topic, I don't want to talk about where my views are heading, in regard to those verses. So for now I'll just say this.The truth is not at all what you are claiming.

I am not after truth. I am attempting to accurately depict the Biblical concept of God. If a real God exists I know nothing about Him. I can only verify what I see in the Bible. I cannot verify my feelings or the feelings of others. I cannot verify my eyewitness accounts of God or the eyewitness accounts of others. I have to use the Bible. It is the only foundation on which an assertion can be made that equally applies to all people. All other ground is sinking sand. We all have to work off of the same basis or there is no discussion, only chaos.

My objective is to accurately represent the god in the Bible.

The Creator is not depicted by a statue in the Bible. The Ark that carried the god of the Hebrews was always empty, and never held anything. So He was often refered to as the 'Invisible God'.

The Creator was not born like the gods of other nations. He existed before the universe.

while other nations godlings were depicted as being the god of this or that, the Creator of the Hebrews was noted for His Being.

'I am that I am' is His Name.

Unlike silly superstitions, the Creator of the Hebrews was anthropomorphised repeatedly by various writers of the Old Testament, but John said that He is th e Logos.

The Gospel according to John, chapter 1
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcomea]">[a] it.....

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth....

16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.

Int he Book of Acts of the Apostles, chapter 17, , St Paul says about Aristotle's Unknown God:

22 Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23 For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’[c]

29 “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill. 30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

32 When they heard about the resurrection of the dead, some of them sneered, but others said, “We want to hear you again on this subject.” 33 At that, Paul left the Council. 34 Some of the people became followers of Paul and believed.

So St Paul identifies the Creator of Judaism and Christianity with the Creator of Aristotle. The church accepted this of course as it came from a widely recognized authority of the Early Church.

But none of this is really relevant, since it h as nothing at all to do with the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or the godlings of polytheism at all, and yet ignorant atheists make these comparisons all the time, while Christians that understand their own theology just laugh at them.

You used the Bible to describe your theology. Why do you insinuate that theology is stupid with no basis? If you are free to find attributes of God outside the Bible then so am I. So is Joe. So is Betty. So is Frank. So is Jason. So on and so forth ad nauseam. I disagree. Theology can be based on the Bible. Otherwise it isn't theology, it is personal experience. Personal experience can inspire people but it cannot be a basis for wisdom or understanding. Some people lie about their personal experience. These inaccuracies could cause obervants to see patterns of truth that aren't really there. One liar can jack up the whole formula. Let's use the Bible in this discussion please. Otherwise we do not have a discussion, we have stupidity. (Do you really want BreezeWood to chime in with his religion of antiquity retardation?)

Nobody has ever seen God. This is likely due to God's invisibility.

John 1:18

According to the Bible, anybody claims to have seen God is a liar. This would include that Joseph Smith fellow.

I am not after truth. I am attempting to accurately depict the Biblical concept of God. If a real God exists I know nothing about Him. I can only verify what I see in the Bible. I cannot verify my feelings or the feelings of others. I cannot verify my eyewitness accounts of God or the eyewitness accounts of others. I have to use the Bible. It is the only foundation on which an assertion can be made that equally applies to all people. All other ground is sinking sand. We all have to work off of the same basis or there is no discussion, only chaos.

The bible does have verses that may be puzzling at first glance, but that's why it needs to be studied as a whole, in depth, prayerfully, and with a teachable heart... as opposed to cherry-picking certain verses that atheists always point to, while ignoring not only the immediate context but the bible as a whole.

That said, the bible is not the ONLY way to know about God. It's one of the ways. But if you are not after truth, then what's the point of even discussing this? You have to be after truth to accurately understand the scriptures... and certainly to learn about God, bible or not.

I don't want to sound preachy, but it's really true that one has to value truth and desire truth in order to find it, because without a love for truth, one will most likely end up missing it, or being deceived. The bible says "You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart." Again, that doesn't mean ONLY through the bible, but a bigger search, with a sincere desire to learn and put truth first, even when it's going in a surprising direction. I hope that made sense.

Last edited:

The bible does have verses that may be puzzling at first glance, but that's why it needs to be studied as a whole, in depth, prayerfully, and with a teachable heart... as opposed to cherry-picking certain verses that atheists always point to, while ignoring not only the immediate context but the bible as a whole.

That said, the bible is not the ONLY way to know about God. It's one of the ways. But if you are not after truth, then what's the point of even discussing this? You have to be after truth to accurately understand the scriptures... and certainly to learn about God, bible or not.

I don't want to sound preachy, but it's really true that one has to value truth and desire truth in order to find it, because without a love for truth, one will most likely end up missing it, or being deceived. The bible says "You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart." Again, that doesn't mean ONLY through the bible, but a bigger search, with a sincere desire to learn and put truth first, even when it's going in a surprising direction. I hope that made sense.

The analogy of Huckleberry Finn was used earlier. You can accurately represent Huckleberry Finn based on the book. You can accurately represent God based on the book. If you are allowed to just make up stuff then Huckleberry Finn can be a poor German who lived in Jamaica and sold weed to factory workers so he could rent hookers in their early 60's. It would make things hard to discuss if everybody could make up their own horse shit. Using the Bible as authority is the only way to discuss God. Otherwise you are discussing feelings. That's dumb for the education process but ok if you like hugging I guess.

Please use the Bible or stay away. This discussion isn't for liars who want to misrepresent the God in the Bible.

Why do Christian's hate God so much? It offends me to nth degree.

If you hate God then find another fucking religion. Geez. It is so fucking obnoxious that anti-theists are demonized for hating God but Christian's get a free pass for hating God. At least anti theists tell the truth about Him. Shouldn't they at least get credit for their accuracy?

Last edited:

The analogy of Huckleberry Finn was used earlier. You can accurately represent Huckleberry Finn based on the book. You can accurately represent God based on the book. If you are allowed to just make up stuff then Huckleberry Finn can be a poor German who lived in Jamaica and sold weed to factory workers so he could rent hookers in their early 60's. It would make things hard to discuss if everybody could make up their own horse shit. Using the Bible as authority is the only way to discuss God. Otherwise you are discussing feelings. That's dumb for the education process but ok if you like hugging I guess.

I'm sorry, but it's silly or dishonest to try to put those on the same level. There's no debate that Huckleberry Finn is a fictional character from the mind of Mark Twain, so obviously in that case we can ONLY go to the novel, we can't go anywhere else.

When it comes to God, only blind atheists claim he is fictional, not everyone else. And don't even get me started about Jesus, because one has to be ignorant or a blatant anti-Christian to believe He never existed. Jesus was the most influential person of all time, a historical figure, and no real scholars or historians claim otherwise. So your comparison just shows that right off the bat you're starting with a huge bias.

Secondly, the bible itself says that there are other ways to know God (outside the bible.) Like through nature, for one, but there are numerous other ways.

You used the Bible to describe your theology. Why do you insinuate that theology is stupid with no basis? If you are free to find attributes of God outside the Bible then so am I. So is Joe. So is Betty. So is Frank. So is Jason. So on and so forth ad nauseam. I disagree. Theology can be based on the Bible. Otherwise it isn't theology, it is personal experience. Personal experience can inspire people but it cannot be a basis for wisdom or understanding. Some people lie about their personal experience. These inaccuracies could cause obervants to see patterns of truth that aren't really there. One liar can jack up the whole formula. Let's use the Bible in this discussion please. Otherwise we do not have a discussion, we have stupidity. (Do you really want BreezeWood to chime in with his religion of antiquity retardation?)

There is no Christian theology worth bothering with if one is strictly limited to Biblical texts.

St Paul validated Aristotles concept of the Creator as he he said he came to tell them of their 'Unknown God'. So that opens the door wide enough to drive a tractor trailer through.

I do not see any corelation between some wacky 'God of the Bible only' and the actual Creator. To understand the Creator and understand what the Bible actually teaches about Him, one has to also look at the system of interpretation one is going to use. What you are doing is dumber than a pair of drunks shooting the breeze at a church social.

The Biblical image of 'God' is from the childhood of humanity.The descriptions and images are of, and for, an early age of mankind's maturing process.
We can take stronger medicine now.

One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established. ref: Deut. 19 v15 KJV

I believe this is the verse that Jesus was referencing when he told the crowd that brought the woman caught in adultry to Him for judgement. As they had brought this woman to Jesus to find a cause against Jesus, they had all sinned in the matter. Anyone who sins in a matter is a false witness. No number of false witnesses can establish that they had a cause against this woman.

I know from personnel experience that this is the God I believe in.

Who is God? Use the Bible only

POINTLESS QUESTION. The question cannot be satisfactorily answered solely within the confines of the Bible since the Bible is but a tiny subset of God implying that God is nothing more than from one view from a brief time in history on one planet for a tiny group of people in a tiny pocket of the universe! It implies that humans and Jews and Christians are indeed the entire center of the universe and God's sole concern!

And that is arrogantly absurd.

So you need to rephrase your question to ask: Who is God from the perspective of the writers of the Bible?

The best way to prove he’s not genuine is to ask him what each of the parables means.

He doesn’t have a clue because he’s a fake.

The topic of this thread is theology. You can start as many threads as you want about parables or storms. This thread is about theology. Who is God? If you don't know anything about God then go away. The faster the better.
Which is exactly why I am starting with Jesus, ya big fake.

Run away.

Forum List

Back