Who is for or against manipulating matter at the molecular level?

Who is for or against manipulating matter at the molecular level and at a higher level?

I am for it, and do so regularly. For example:

manipulating matter on the molecular level:
I breath in O2 molecules and ruthlessly crush them together with other elements to make new molecules during cellular respiration.
I digest food, heedlessly breaking up complex molecules into simpler molecules.
I heat things in microwaves, causing countless chemical changes.
I utilize an internal combustion engine in my automobile.

manipulating matter on a higher than molecular level
I move objects regularly every day.

And what are your reasons why you would be for or against it? Thanks.:cool:

I enjoy being alive.

Also, pretty much every one of my business and leisure activities requires the manipulation of matter.

...I imagine you're getting at something a lot more specific than "manipulation of matter." Spit it out, already.

I am for it, and do so regularly. For example:

manipulating matter on the molecular level:
I breath in O2 molecules and ruthlessly crush them together with other elements to make new molecules during cellular respiration.
I digest food, heedlessly breaking up complex molecules into simpler molecules.
I heat things in microwaves, causing countless chemical changes.
I utilize an internal combustion engine in my automobile.

manipulating matter on a higher than molecular level
I move objects regularly every day.

I enjoy being alive.

Also, pretty much every one of my business and leisure activities requires the manipulation of matter.

...I imagine you're getting at something a lot more specific than "manipulation of matter." Spit it out, already.

Your point of view is well taken. I believe there is a single force, rather than the four forces that physicist refer to gravitational, electromagnetic, the weak, and the strong, responsible for the creation of matter and all things living and nonliving. This force is present throughout the universe, what happens when and if we encounter a world similar to that of earth with "alien" creatures living on it? Do we colonize the new world and coexist with the "alien" life forms or leave the life forms as they exist as stated in the prime directive in Star Trek? If we try to coexist with the "aliens" surely humans will be affected in some way, just as a criminal does not leave a crime scene without influencing it. What is the truth? Are people able to handle the realization that there are other living life forms in the universe?

I believe there is a single force, rather than the four forces that physicist refer to gravitational, electromagnetic, the weak, and the strong, responsible for the creation of matter and all things living and nonliving. This force is present throughout the universe,

Neat.

what happens when and if we encounter a world similar to that of earth with "alien" creatures living on it? Do we colonize the new world and coexist with the "alien" life forms or leave the life forms as they exist as stated in the prime directive in Star Trek? If we try to coexist with the "aliens" surely humans will be affected in some way, just as a criminal does not leave a crime scene without influencing it.

A lot depends on their reaction to us. Not knowing that, here's my guess about what we try to do and in what order:

1) Study them.
2) Communicate with them.
3) Meet them.
4) Trade with them.
5) Spy on them.
6) Make treaties with them.

if they are substantially weaker than us:
7) Slowly take over their resources. Or, if they fight us, quickly take over their resources.

if they are roughly as strong as us:
7) Establish bases/embassies on their planet; lots more trading (legal and otherwise), spying, and diplomacy.

if they are substantially stronger than us:
7) Massively build up our military, possibly coalescing the whole planet under one government.

8) We influence eachother's cultures.
9) Some genetic crosspollination if possible.

What is the truth? Are people able to handle the realization that there are other living life forms in the universe?

I don't know, and yes, though most people won't give two shits about it until it's actually an issue.

Who is this "we" you speak of ? If you belong to certain factions I'm familiar with it's a definate NO :cool:

When I say "we" I mean Americans. If you are not a American, then "we" refers to people in general. I would have to vote the opposite and say YES to manipulating matter at the molecular level. However, I am one in several billion people with this opinion, so I may be outvoted.

Why do you imagine that anyone would be opposed to this science?

Isn't every chemical reaction really just the manipulation of matter on the molecular level?

Forum List

Back