Who is Betsy Farrell

A very telling blurb from the link in the op;
"Workers have been further incensed by remarks made in a memo from an AT&T executive, Betsy Farrell. In the memo, obtained by the Times, Farrell writes that when workers leave their jobs, "The company doesn't suffer. In fact, these actions help us financially when we don't pay you."

Sounds to me like weak ground to stand on if your employer can function fine without you.

"Landline Workers"? Isn't the land line the electronic equivalent of the Covered Wagon? :confused:

I'd be lookin' for a new job, LAST YEAR! :lol:

"Workers have been further incensed by remarks made in a memo from an AT&T executive, Betsy Farrell. In the memo, obtained by the Times, Farrell writes that when workers leave their jobs, "The company doesn't suffer. In fact, these actions help us financially when we don't pay you."

Sounds to me like weak ground to stand on if your employer can function fine without you.

No one is irreplaceable. Even Apple is surviving without Jobs. :lol:

• Banned

In fact the replacement workers are supervisors and vendors. Do you believe they number the same as the staff that walked?

The remark was telling in that Betsy demonstrated disdain for the workers - not the best strategy in a negotiation and not one quality managers would ever do.

• Banned
Love the ass umption.

Republican =/= Christian.

Really makes the case there. :rolleyes:

I posted that to tweak the nose of the self righteous. Nothing contemporary Republicans stand for is consistent with the teachings of Christ.
I do believe your christology is flawed. But that's your problem. Not mine.

Last edited:
Love the ass umption.

I posted that to tweak the nose of the self righteous. Nothing contemporary Republicans stand for is consistent with the teachings of Christ.
Yes, because Christ wanted everyone dependent on the government.

Oh, wait, that's Obama. But I understand that stupid and gullible people get them confused.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
For God so loved the world, he did not send a committee OR politician.

Love the ass umption.

Yes, because Christ wanted everyone dependent on the government.

Oh, wait, that's Obama. But I understand that stupid and gullible people get them confused.
What did he say about camels, and eyes of needles, you whiny fucking pussy?

In fact the replacement workers are supervisors and vendors. Do you believe they number the same as the staff that walked?

The remark was telling in that Betsy demonstrated disdain for the workers - not the best strategy in a negotiation and not one quality managers would ever do.

I agree she showed disdain, and it looks to me that is her negotiation tactic. Sounds to me like she doesn't plan on caving to ANY demands. Since it isn't a civil service job, the workers can go back to work at at&t or find another job. Betsy sounds like she doesnt care which they do, which in itself is strong position to negotiate from.

I agree she showed disdain, and it looks to me that is her negotiation tactic. Sounds to me like she doesn't plan on caving to ANY demands. Since it isn't a civil service job, the workers can go back to work at at&t or find another job. Betsy sounds like she doesnt care which they do, which in itself is strong position to negotiate from.

It maybe a 'strong' position from which to negotiate but brinkmanship can win the battle and lose the war. Unhappy and resentful employees need not be overt in their displeasure.

you are right wry, but there are always people ready to take an open job that would not have that mentality.

Of course. However, the cost to dismiss, then recruit, hire, train a new employee is not what a business owner or public agency expects from managers; managers are supposed to be problem solvers, not problem creators.

It will be interesting to see just how this plays out. As you yourself are pointing out, there are a lot of nuances to this story. I wouldn't have paid much attention to this story if not for your thread, so I thank you. It gives me one more thing to follow in the news. While I am not involved, and not affected, it has now caught my interest. I will try and help keep your thread alive when I see more in the news about it. It is always interesting to find a situation such as this to observe.

Workers have been further incensed by remarks made in a memo from an AT&T executive, Betsy Farrell. In the memo, obtained by the Times, Farrell writes that when workers leave their jobs, "The company doesn't suffer. In fact, these actions help us financially when we don't pay you."

Not at all surprising, and quite typical of most employers’ contempt for their employees. The need for workers to remain organized is clearly evident.

Forum List

Back