Who is a Jew?

MrAlwaysRight

Jul 17, 2012
Cyberspace
Who decides who is a real follower of Judaism?

Why, it's the word of G-d as revealed in the Torah. No picking and choosing amongst Yahweh's yearnings. Either you follow The Law, or you suffer the consequences.

To elucidate:
If you haven't done so yet today, please recite the
Blessings over the Torah
before reading the Torah on this web site.
Who Is a Jew, According to the Torah?

How do we define who is a born Jew and who is not? If one of your parents is not Jewish, are you still Jewish?

This subject is a hotly debated one, at least among the non-Orthodox Jewish groups, but I don't really intend to discuss the politics of it very much. I want to simply explain the Orthodox stance, and demonstrate that it is and was the original Jewish definition.

Before I begin, I want to point out that absolutely none of what I write here is my own opinion. Throughout this article I am citing the Talmud and the Rabbis of the Talmud. None of this is my own interpretation, and none of this did I think up on my own, unless I explicitly say so.

So do not write me and insist that I am creating my own interpretation of the verses. I am telling you what the Rabbis say in the Talmud, and how they proved the meanings of the verses.

In any case, look at the verses and think about what they mean. Read the logic I cite here from the Rabbis. Don't focus on personalities. You're not liking a conclusion is not a good enough reason to ignore the logic and attack people.

Now let's discuss the subject.

The original and current Jewish definition of a born Jew is someone whose mother is Jewish. Even though the Torah forbids a Jewish woman to marry a Gentile man, if she does, her children will still be Jewish.

The Torah also forbids a Jewish man to marry a Gentile woman, and if he does, his children by that woman will not be Jewish. (beingjewish.com)

Why, it's the word of G-d as revealed in the Torah. No picking and choosing amongst Yahweh's yearnings. Either you follow The Law, or you suffer the consequences.

To elucidate:
Blessings over the Torah

How do we define who is a born Jew and who is not? If one of your parents is not Jewish, are you still Jewish?

This subject is a hotly debated one, at least among the non-Orthodox Jewish groups, but I don't really intend to discuss the politics of it very much. I want to simply explain the Orthodox stance, and demonstrate that it is and was the original Jewish definition.

Before I begin, I want to point out that absolutely none of what I write here is my own opinion. Throughout this article I am citing the Talmud and the Rabbis of the Talmud. None of this is my own interpretation, and none of this did I think up on my own, unless I explicitly say so.

So do not write me and insist that I am creating my own interpretation of the verses. I am telling you what the Rabbis say in the Talmud, and how they proved the meanings of the verses.

In any case, look at the verses and think about what they mean. Read the logic I cite here from the Rabbis. Don't focus on personalities. You're not liking a conclusion is not a good enough reason to ignore the logic and attack people.

The original and current Jewish definition of a born Jew is someone whose mother is Jewish. Even though the Torah forbids a Jewish woman to marry a Gentile man, if she does, her children will still be Jewish.

The Torah also forbids a Jewish man to marry a Gentile woman, and if he does, his children by that woman will not be Jewish. (beingjewish.com)
Well! Just damn!

To elucidate:
Blessings over the Torah

You forgot to mention people who sincerely convert to Judaism.

To elucidate:
Blessings over the Torah

You forgot to read the first premise of the article.
"
How do we define who is a born Jew and who is not?"

PS- Need I remind you that not all conversions are recognized by all forms of Judaism?

I'm with Forveryoung - anyone can convert to Judaism, and I know a few people who have.

It's thus up to each Synagogue themselves to decide who meets the criteria.

I don't get the OP's point anyway - the fact that Judaism has traditionally been matriarchal is something I'd imagine everyone on this board (except, perhaps Roudy) is already aware of.

So what? Is that wrong?

updated to add - ok, converts are not born Jewish, granted. Again - so what?

Two of my cousins felt the need to convert as they believe our family has Jewish roots. The family's surname is common in Israel (it appears in the book "Schindler's List), but our grandfather was born in Austria. Ancestors may have converted to Catholicism to avoid Nazi persecution, but the cousins are 3 generations removed. Yet they still felt the need to convert. I went to the ceremony at the Synagogue and it was very moving. Still, not for me thanks.

To elucidate:
Blessings over the Torah

Jew- One who has a Jewish mother or converts to Judaism (while not adapting any form of Avoda Zarah)

To elucidate:
Blessings over the Torah

Perhaps, since the Herr Professor is having himself a grand time telling us about Jews, maybe we should start a thread with the title What Makes a Jew Hater. He seems to forget all the derogatory things he said about Jews on another medium.

Perhaps, since the Herr Professor is having himself a grand time telling us about Jews, maybe we should start a thread with the title What Makes a Jew Hater. He seems to forget all the derogatory things he said about Jews on another medium.

Another medium? The one where you claimed to be a friend of Jerry Sandusky?

PS- Please feel free to dispute the Torah!

FY:

Always Right:
You forgot to read the first premise of the article.
"
How do we define who is a born Jew and who is not?"

PS- Need I remind you that not all conversions are recognized by all forms of Judaism?

What does all this have to do with the Israeli/Palestinian conflict?

Why did you bring it up?

How conveniently Herr Professor, posting first as VirtuallGuy and then as VirtualEman, forgets all the derogatory things he had said about the Jews. That is why it is like a big joke seeing him discuss who is a Jew. The important thing for us to remember is that it is not the Jews who are murdering people in the name of their religion nowadays. However, a Dhimwit like Herr Professor probably wants us to think otherwise, and obviously he has not a care in the world about the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists and even other Muslims who are being murdered. Perhaps he should finally give up on trying to be a scholar about the Jews, which of course he isn't, and give us some information about why the different Muslim sects kill each other. I am sure he will find a lot of information on the Internet about this that he can convey to us.

P.S. Who are you to give permission to dispute the indisputable?

jt2

How conveniently Herr Professor, posting first as VirtuallGuy and then as VirtualEman, forgets all the derogatory things he had said about the Jews. That is why it is like a big joke seeing him discuss who is a Jew. The important thing for us to remember is that it is not the Jews who are murdering people in the name of their religion nowadays. However, a Dhimwit like Herr Professor probably wants us to think otherwise, and obviously he has not a care in the world about the Christians, Hindus, Buddhists and even other Muslims who are being murdered. Perhaps he should finally give up on trying to be a scholar about the Jews, which of course he isn't, and give us some information about why the different Muslim sects kill each other. I am sure he will find a lot of information on the Internet about this that he can convey to us.

jt2

Since, by its very definition, something indisputable - which CANNOT be disputed- doesn't require permition to dispute.

And I note that you agree with me that what I've been quoting from the Torah is indisputable.

PS- You might wanna rethink that highlighted part you posted; does the phrase "G-d gave us this land!" ring a bell?

Since, by its very definition, something indisputable - which CANNOT be disputed- doesn't require permition to dispute. And I note that you agree with me that what I've been quoting from the Torah is indisputable. PS- You might wanna rethink that highlighted part you posted; does the phrase "G-d gave us this land!" ring a bell?
Every judophobe's a torah scholar. heh

Children of a gentile women are not jewish? That's interesting, considering that Abraham, Jacob, and the patriarchs of the tribes of Israel all married gentile women.

All I know is that there is a God Damned black gentry that calls themselves Jews.

jt2

Since, by its very definition, something indisputable - which CANNOT be disputed- doesn't require permition to dispute.

And I note that you agree with me that what I've been quoting from the Torah is indisputable.

PS- You might wanna rethink that highlighted part you posted; does the phrase "G-d gave us this land!" ring a bell?
Anyone can research the Internet as you have done and tell us about the religious beliefs of others. Every single religion has things that the very religious follow which might seem strange to others, but why not tell how many Jews actually are that religious that they follow exactly what is in the Torah or Talmud, and then tell us how many Muslims follow to a T everything that is said in the Koran and their other religious writings. I will reiterate -- the Jews, whether very devout or not, are not running around to different places in the world today murdering those who don't believe as they do. Evidently you are willing to overlook the group who is doing just that as you continue on with your nonsense like it was so important for the readers to know

jt2

Children of a gentile women are not jewish? That's interesting, considering that Abraham, Jacob, and the patriarchs of the tribes of Israel all married gentile women.

All I know is that there is a God Damned black gentry that calls themselves Jews.
And we know that there are plenty of NeoNazis wandering around who would have made perfect candidates for the Klu Klux Klan when they were burning crosses on the lawns of Black people.

jt2

To elucidate:
Blessings over the Torah

THOU SHALT NOT STEAL.
Conversation over.

Words mean what word users decide.

It is a democratic process.

What the word communicates is what it means.

Forum List

Back