Who Influenced Breivik?

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
Suspect admired bloggers who believe Europe is drowning in Muslims - CNN.com

Breivik points to a piece written by Pamela Geller in Atlas Shrugs in July 2009. "The Muslims have taken to rampaging, destroying and setting alight the streets of France. The media has abetted the fifth column with cowardly silence," she writes.

Geller has been prominent in opposition to the building of a mosque near Ground Zero in New York.

She notes there is just one reference to her in Breivik's purported 1,500-page manifesto, and ridicules the notion that she could have influenced his behavior.

"Anders Behring Breivik is responsible for his actions," she writes. But she adds: "If anyone incited him to violence, it was Islamic supremacists. If anything incited him to violence, it was the Euro-Med policy," a reference to immigration to Europe from North Africa.

Geller also complains, in a posting Tuesday, about "More expected grotesque exploitation and opportunism from Muslim Brotherhood groups in America" of the Oslo attack.

But to her long-time adversary Jeffrey Goldberg at the Atlantic magazine, Geller and others of like mind clearly influenced Breivik: "Free speech means free speech. But she should be aware now that violent people look to her for guidance, and she should write with that in mind."

Do you think that Breivik was influenced by writers like Geller? do you believe that an appropriate response to that influence is self-censorship as obliquely urged by Goldberg?

What is the proper response to psychotic killers with political agendas? How do you think that Norway will respond (in terms of freedom of speech issues)?

i dont think this will bother norway and their speech laws.....i dont think much will come of this...he is insane....simple as that...

me, i blame the masons....he was a mason

Breivik points to a piece written by Pamela Geller in Atlas Shrugs in July 2009. "The Muslims have taken to rampaging, destroying and setting alight the streets of France. The media has abetted the fifth column with cowardly silence," she writes.

Geller has been prominent in opposition to the building of a mosque near Ground Zero in New York.

She notes there is just one reference to her in Breivik's purported 1,500-page manifesto, and ridicules the notion that she could have influenced his behavior.

"Anders Behring Breivik is responsible for his actions," she writes. But she adds: "If anyone incited him to violence, it was Islamic supremacists. If anything incited him to violence, it was the Euro-Med policy," a reference to immigration to Europe from North Africa.

Geller also complains, in a posting Tuesday, about "More expected grotesque exploitation and opportunism from Muslim Brotherhood groups in America" of the Oslo attack.

But to her long-time adversary Jeffrey Goldberg at the Atlantic magazine, Geller and others of like mind clearly influenced Breivik: "Free speech means free speech. But she should be aware now that violent people look to her for guidance, and she should write with that in mind."

Do you think that Breivik was influenced by writers like Geller? do you believe that an appropriate response to that influence is self-censorship as obliquely urged by Goldberg?

What is the proper response to psychotic killers with political agendas? How do you think that Norway will respond (in terms of freedom of speech issues)?

The only response to mass murderers is either to execute them, or lock them up until they die.

While he may have agreed with geller on the influence of islam on current european politics there was no direction by her to go out and start shooting either liberal multiculturalists or muslims.

I am not sure how Norway will respond, but one area they have to improve is thier police response time. 90 minutes is far too long for a lone gunman to have to shoot people.

His own twisted brain is what inspired him!

Europe is getting take over by Islam. Islam is a huge threat to Western society and the world! Sharia law is a threat to our wives and daughter's rights.

But one madman wrongful and immoral actions doesn't change that. In fact, Breivik actually helped the fourth Islamic caliphate. He helped increase islamic immigration to Europe!

I do think hate speech influences people. Look how far Hitler got with it.

There's nothing you can really do about it, though, without making things worse.

If I were Geller I'd be ashamed of myself, but I see she has decided to blame Muslims for the murders. Which is quite an ironic deflection.

He had a few hundred kroner bet with a friend that if he massacred a bunch of his countrymen the New York Times would label him a deranged right wing Christian kook.

His friend was a kook, if he took the bet. We didnt need the NYT to tell us that. His own words and writing made it perfectly clear.

Of course he was influenced. Hatemongers, or propagandists in general, if they're good at what they do,

push people in a certain direction. They may push the moderate, or the unconcerned, or apathetic, towards a relatively more radical view. They may also push some of the already radical, or zealous, towards extremism.

Kudos to Ann Coulter who pointed out that Breivik cites the New York Times more than half a dozen times in his manifesto and she has the funniest article called:

New York Times Reader Kills Dozens in Norway

Great response to the morons at the NYT who were over the top with their right wing conservative fundamentalist Christian gunloving and opposed to multiculturism.

The fundamentalist Christian crap that left wingers are spouting off about is such garbage.

In his manifesto he's bizarre to the degree that he describes Christian faith like this...

"Breivik is very clear that you don't even have to believe in God to join his movement, saying in a self-interview:

Q: Do I have to believe in God or Jesus in order to become a Justiciar Knight?

A: As this is a cultural war, our definition of being a Christian does not necessarily constitute that you are required to have a personal relationship with God or Jesus.

He goes on to say that a "Christian fundamentalist theocracy" is "everything we DO NOT want," and a "secular European society" is "what we DO want."

"It is enough," Breivik says, "that you are a Christian-agnostic or a Christian-atheist." That statement doesn't even make sense in America. "

okey dokey

Right there one can cue the theme from twilight zone.

The man is insane.

I'm wondering why all the hullabaloo about the motives of a guy who is essentially a terrorist, no different than the Muslim soldier who went on a rampage in Ft. Hood, or the nut who shot up Virginia Tech.

What I've noticed is that if a Muslim goes psycho, he's instantly labeled a terrorist on a jihad. If a non-Muslim does the same damned thing, he's not labeled a terrorist, he's labeled a nut. I'm having difficulty understanding why the same actions are given different labels depending upon the religion/ethnicity of the doer.

'Tis a puzzlement.

I fully expect the Norwegian government to overreact and impose some manner of infringement on free speech.

I'm wondering why all the hullabaloo about the motives of a guy who is essentially a terrorist, no different than the Muslim soldier who went on a rampage in Ft. Hood, or the nut who shot up Virginia Tech.

What I've noticed is that if a Muslim goes psycho, he's instantly labeled a terrorist on a jihad. If a non-Muslim does the same damned thing, he's not labeled a terrorist, he's labeled a nut. I'm having difficulty understanding why the same actions are given different labels depending upon the religion/ethnicity of the doer.

'Tis a puzzlement.

The difference is whether they acted alone. Right or wrong, I believe the default assumption for many when the perpetrator is Muslim is that he didn't act alone. And just the opposite when it's not a Muslim. Clearly that's a prejudicial bias, but whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Forum List

Back