Who, in the future, is gonna reduce our national debt?

It's much better for us to spend non-existant trillions of dollars and inflate our currency to the point where our money is worthless?

Let's free ourselves from bondage and pay our debts.

We never paid off the huge debt accumulated during WWII (war bonds, 100% of GDP). Instead, we kept borrowing more and more.

But the world did not end back then, did it?

That is how the US government was dealing with its debt since 1789 -- it was paying one credit card with another. Works like a charm -- because unlike the mere mortals, the government will never retire and it can count on an ever growing tax revenues.

Our debt is not that big,
15+ TRILLION

"not that big". You commies completely suck at economics. Thank Lenin, Stalin and Marx for their shit splattering in the profession.

15+ TRILLION is indeed big if compared it with your welfare check. But it is more than reasonable if you compare it with US GDP.

The basic premise of your question is presumptive.

It presumes that the problem of our economy is based on natiuonal debt.

Now think about that.

It doesn't make sense.

We've had a large national debt our entire lives.

So clearly something other than that debt is causing our economic woes.

The public has a short memory. Look back, Google a bit. Whichever party has the most power (such as the White House and one chamber of Congress) will tell you that debt and deficits are not that important. Dick Cheney said it when the GOP was spending like a 16 year old girl with a Gold Card.

Look, gang, there are only three pieces to this puzzle: It's politically impossible to give millions of people something for nothing and then take it away. You immediately become The Bad Guy and get voted out. It's politically difficult to tax the producers to pay for this, because they have the influence to get you out of office. It's relatively easy to hide all the spending by just issuing bonds. Taking loans against the future to pay for all this.

Until we install term limits AND get money out of politics, nothing is going to change. If you disagree, outline for me how that statement is wrong.

We've had a large national debt our entire lives.

So clearly something other than that debt is causing our economic woes.

Yea, well, so what? You might think that losing all those good paying manuf. jobs had an impact.
Or the collapse of the housing industry and all that lost equity. Or the fact that to many people pulled their meager retirement savings out of the market at the worst time and now have nothing.
Or that health insurance and energy and food have become more and more expensive.

Naw, none of the things above have had an impact. It it just the debt. so sayeth the Repubs.

Until we install term limits AND get money out of politics, nothing is going to change. If you disagree, outline for me how that statement is wrong.

We function as a plutocracy. How you gonna get the members of this elite group to vote themselves out of office and power?

We function as a plutocracy. How you gonna get the members of this elite group to vote themselves out of office and power?

An absolutely reasonable question. I don't know.

I don't know how this ends. I have some guesses, but they're not very positive.

I don't know how this ends. I have some guesses, but they're not very positive.

We need to go back to the future. Where is the wayback machine when you need it.

Actually, a plutocracy that was benevolent might not be to bad.

But seriously, the dumbing down of Americans makes it highly unlikely that our form of guvmint is going to change. Doing things like making corporations equal to individual citizens is guaranteed to keep the status quo in power. We can't even get over 50% of elegible voters to vote. Apathy runs rampant.
The people of KY keep on rel eecting Mitch the Turtle McConnell. What does that tell you? That poor people of KY don't know what the fuck they are doing and that the rich of KY know that and keep on getting McConnell re elected. Plutocracy at work.

Forum List

Back