Who, in the future, is gonna reduce our national debt?

Forget the current politicians for a minute. And forget Paul and his son too (since this thread will just turn into a fight).

Do you see anyone on the horizon that could potentially lead us out of our financial mess? I understand that it would have to be a joint effort by Congress and the Presidency but wanted to know if there was anyone out there that even has a chance of saving us from the massive debt that hangs around all of our necks. Do you see anyone that is fiscally responsible?

We do not have a all that much of financial mess. Our debt problems are exaggerated by Republicans so they can use it as a pretext for dismantling the welfare state.

Our debt is not that big, we will grow out if it like we did after WWII. But we need to increase taxes on the rich so we can pay for things like social security.

Forget the current politicians for a minute. And forget Paul and his son too (since this thread will just turn into a fight).

Do you see anyone on the horizon that could potentially lead us out of our financial mess? I understand that it would have to be a joint effort by Congress and the Presidency but wanted to know if there was anyone out there that even has a chance of saving us from the massive debt that hangs around all of our necks. Do you see anyone that is fiscally responsible?

We do not have a all that much of financial mess. Our debt problems are exaggerated by Republicans so they can use it as a pretext for dismantling the welfare state.

Our debt is not that big, we will grow out if it like we did after WWII. But we need to increase taxes on the rich so we can pay for things like social security.

Yes...it is that simple. Now that one of Bush's wars is finished and the other is beginning to dwindle we can get a handle on it. The goddam chicken hawk Republicans should have to see their own go 10,000 miles to some shithole in the sand when they conjure up these boldfaced lies about WMD's and non existent threats. Our military is ten times stronger than all the others combined and the Republicans develop erectile dysfunction at the thought of cutting the military budget. Dwight Eisenhower of their own party warned them about developing a military industrial complex and they proceeded to do it anyway.

The automatic spending cuts kick in Jan. of 2013.

The Bush tax cuts expire in Dec. of 2012.

Spending cuts + expiring tax cuts = deficit reduction.

Pretty simple really.

Hopefully no one. The last thing we need to do right now is pay down the debt.

I know Romney's career has been cutting waste from budgets and turning things around. He's done that with every job.

Unfortunately, he isn't a pure conservative.

Newt and Santorum participated in slowing the budget in the 90s.

Same issues.

We all know Obama won't.

I would argue that higher probability for the GOP candidates to do it.

It's much better for us to spend non-existant trillions of dollars and inflate our currency to the point where our money is worthless?

Let's free ourselves from bondage and pay our debts.

It's much better for us to spend non-existant trillions of dollars and inflate our currency to the point where our money is worthless?

I'm not saying never pay it off. I'm just saying, right now, interest rates are at historic lows. We should take advantage of being able to borrow cheaply and put that money to work building up the country. Once the economy is humming along nicely, then we raise taxes and cut spending and balance the budget.

Eliminate the foreign aid and entitlements,and bullshit green wasre failures abd were getting sonewhere just because people voted the leaders and them deciding doesnt creare direct represenration of the peopkes interests. Citizens should have DIRECT AUTHORITY overr any budget matters,and nothing should be done for foreign interests.

What they should do is print enough money to pay it. Then they should rework the IRS system of taxation taking out all the loopholes that rich people and corporations use to avoid taxation. Then a strict "balanced budget" amendment should be added to the constitution which absolutely makes it impossible to go in debt. Don't hold your breath.

How stupid are you, anyway? Print enough money? Name one fucking country in the history of the world that's been able to pull that off, and I'll personally kiss your ass.

Google the Wiemar Republic and hyper-inflation, jackass!

We could do it. Hell....the administration gave nearly a trillion to the goddam banks then about 2010 the Fed circulated an additional $3 trillion through the banks. If we pay our debt with American dollars nobody in the world would question it. It admittedly would devalue the dollar some and cause some inflation but we could do it.
You have no understanding of economics if you that would be a plausible way to take care of our debt. The fact is that our money would not inflate a 'little bit' as you suggested but would be essentially worthless. The people that we borrowed that money from expect to get paid back. What do you think they will say when we try and hand them a hundred dollar bill that no longer had the purchase capacity of an apple. That would be the last time we ever got something in good faith. Sure - we could do it but it amounts to nuking our economy and making the Great Depression look like an economic boom.

Who, in the future, is gonna reduce our national debt?

In who's future?

Next generation.. ? Ten generations? Ten million generations?

All of the oil will be for all intensive purposes be gone in 200 years.

Nothing has been proven to replace that energy source now and in 200 years with at least a doubling of the worlds human population ..more likely tripled or quadrupled there won't be enough energy to run ANY economy.

So it's really humorous to see all this angst about "numbers" that only call attention to a small aspect of what is out of control or what is uncontrollable under any concievable human ability to correct.

As I see it these are the lasts days of "summer" anyway and a very long and cold winter is approaching steadily..undeniably and unavoidably.

So as a previous poster said.. you might as well enjoy what time you have. "Numbers" Shmumbers! When the energy is gone the starving freezing inhabitants on this planet won't care a lick about who owes who what.

Tell your kids and your kids kids kids to start building really big sail boats with what materials are left and still accessable. Floatillas of big boats will be the only safe place with a food supply in about 300 years. Unless and untill about 90% of the land population starves or freezes to death life on land in 300 years will be very much like .. the world predicted in Mad Max and Thunderdome.. No lie ..we don't need another hero..

Mad Max" We don't Need Another Hero" Tina Turner - YouTube
Grumble - you should know better. This is clearly bullshit. First, we do not have 200 years left - it is likely less since prediction in use never even come close but in the end it matters not: we will have moved on long before that. 200 years may sound like something that is reachable until you realize how long we actually have been using oil on a mass scale for energy. It has not been close to that and technology moves at a blistering pace - always going faster as it improves. We are going to find alternative energies, that is a given. We are deep in that process now. All we really need is to get the politics out of the way and let the scientists innovate and create that energy in a way that is reliable and cheap. It is coming and it will be here FAR faster than 200 years.

I'm not saying never pay it off. I'm just saying, right now, interest rates are at historic lows. We should take advantage of being able to borrow cheaply and put that money to work building up the country. Once the economy is humming along nicely, then we raise taxes and cut spending and balance the budget.
The problem is that we have PROVEN that we will not balance the budget after the economy gets better.

It really boils down to one thing - everyone in this day and age is all about getting the budget balanced using someone else to do it. You see it every day across party lines. The left screams tax the rich - I am not rich. The right screams reduce the entitlements - until you talk to the elderly conservatives. The bigotry is insane. Each year, we become more and more dependent on the government and as long as that continues, we will never see any reductions at all. Any reduction is always going to cut into that program that someone uses and then that same someone is going to say 'but not that program, I LIKE that one' and nothing will get done as nothing has been done in the past. It is pathetic. We need real change and real change does not come from the government. It needs to come from us through our culture and our worldviews. As long as we keep doing what we do then we are going to keep voting for the same people to do the same things to us over and over and over....

I feel a little defeated. I have resisted the urge as long as possible, but i finally have someone on my ignore list. It's Mr. Shaman. Most of the people who are stupid enough to deserve to be ignored, provide me some entertainment value. Mr. Shaman is just annoying, his stupidity never entertains me it just makes me feel pity for him.

For example, he just called me a Gingrich supporter, even though I've never said one good word about the man and have repeatedly said bad things about him.

You know, I am not sure why I have not put him on ignore as well. TBH, I have no one on ignore but his posts are the only ones that I consistently do not read. Can't remember the last time I actually read one of his incoherent musings....

Eliminate the foreign aid and entitlements,and bullshit green wasre failures abd were getting sonewhere just because people voted the leaders and them deciding doesnt creare direct represenration of the peopkes interests. Citizens should have DIRECT AUTHORITY overr any budget matters,and nothing should be done for foreign interests.

LOL....you think Greece has some revolt going on...cut the entitlements.

As far as foreign aid....it don't amount to shit...about $40 billion a year. The annual interest on the debt which must be paid or we go into default is over $500 billion a year. The debt became unmanageable after Reagan and the Bushes cut taxes for the wealthiest Americans then began to borrow from foreign banks to cover the shortfall. They've never cut a dime of spending.

Total U S Debt

09/30/2009 $11,909,829,003,511.75(80% Of All Debt Across 232 Years Borrowed By Reagan And Bushes)

09/30/2008 $10,024,724,896,912.49(Times Square Debt Clock Modified To Accomodate Tens of Trillions)

09/30/2007 $9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 $8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 $7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 $7,379,052,696,330.32

09/30/2003 $6,783,231,062,743.62(Second Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2002 $6,228,235,965,597.16

09/30/2001 $5,807,463,412,200.06(First Bush Tax Cuts Enacted Using Reconciliation)

09/30/2000 $5,674,178,209,886.86(Administration And Congress Arguing About How To Use Surplus)

09/30/1999 $5,656,270,901,615.43(First Surplus Generated...On Track To Pay Off Debt By 2012)

09/30/1998 $5,526,193,008,897.62
09/30/1997 $5,413,146,011,397.34
09/30/1996 $5,224,810,939,135.73
09/29/1995 $4,973,982,900,709.39
09/30/1994 $4,692,749,910,013.32

09/30/1993 $4,411,488,883,139.38(Debt Quadrupled By Reagan/Bush41)

09/30/1992 $4,064,620,655,521.66
09/30/1991 $3,665,303,351,697.03
09/28/1990 $3,233,313,451,777.25
09/29/1989 $2,857,430,960,187.32
09/30/1988 $2,602,337,712,041.16
09/30/1987 $2,350,276,890,953.00
09/30/1986 $2,125,302,616,658.42
09/30/1985 $1,823,103,000,000.00
09/30/1984 $1,572,266,000,000.00
09/30/1983 $1,377,210,000,000.00

09/30/1982 $1,142,034,000,000.00(Total Debt Passes $1 Trillion)

09/30/1981 $997,855,000,000.00

I have a scheme for stopping war. It's this - no nation is allowed to enter a war till they have paid for the last one. ~Will Rogers

That would certainly help reduce the debt, now and in the future.

As for reducing the debt - and fixing what's wrong with Congress

Warren Buffett recommended passing a law that says anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.

Some political thoughts from political thinkers about National Debt -

Debt is the fatal disease of republics, the first thing and the mightiest to undermine governments and corrupt the people. ~Wendell Phillips

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. ~Herbert Hoover

Nothing is so well calculated to produce a death-like torpor in the country as an extended system of taxation and a great national debt. ~WILLIAM COBBETT, letter, Feb. 10, 1804

The debt isn't the problem.

The GDP and taxation are.

No Republican candidate has any plan remotely suited to dealing with the problems we're facing right now.

Most of their platforms would actually make this economy much worse.

I can't tell whether they hate America and Ameircans or they're just flat out stupid.

Doesn't really matter, I guess, since either way they're not interested in changing their POVs.

History says the Dems, and that Pubs are lying, cheating, war mongering bubble/ boom and bust deficit disasters. How many times will the dupes believe their con?

Where does your and Chris's confidence in cutting spending come from? When was the last time a budget was less than the year before?

Has Obama ever in his political career at any level, reduced an overall budget?

Where does your and Chris's confidence in cutting spending come from? When was the last time a budget was less than the year before?

The better question would be, when was the last time, no matter who the president was, that the budget was reduced? That paints a clear picture of how good the government is at taking cuts....

Yes...it is that simple. Now that one of Bush's wars is finished and the other is beginning to dwindle we can get a handle on it. The goddam chicken hawk Republicans should have to see their own go 10,000 miles to some shithole in the sand when they conjure up these boldfaced lies about WMD's and non existent threats. Our military is ten times stronger than all the others combined and the Republicans develop erectile dysfunction at the thought of cutting the military budget. Dwight Eisenhower of their own party warned them about developing a military industrial complex and they proceeded to do it anyway.

Wow. Most retarded shit ive read in a while. You delusional commies are really, well...delusional.

Our debt is not that big,
15+ TRILLION

"not that big". You commies completely suck at economics. Thank Lenin, Stalin and Marx for their shit splattering in the profession.

Last edited:

The better question would be, when was the last time, no matter who the president was, that the budget was reduced? That paints a clear picture of how good the government is at taking cuts....

Can I call the increase that wasnt as much as I wanted a cut?:lol:

Can I call the increase that wasnt as much as I wanted a cut?:lol:

:eek:
NO! But that was rather the point. I think it was Paul Ryan that stated it best:
" I’ve got a better idea. Let’s pass a bill to cover the moon with yogurt that will cost $5 trillion today. and then let’s pass a bill the next day to cancel that bill. We could save $5 trillion. Wait, I’ve got a better idea. Our debt is $14 trillion. Let’s come up with a new plan to spend $14 trillion, then rescind it the next day and let’s save $14 trillion. This stuff is fiscal fantasy. You can’t make this stuff up, Mr. Speaker."

That is what this asinine government continues to call 'cuts.' Instead of cutting, they increase the spending less. That is fucking asinine.

You're right, I'm just trying to inject a little reality into the Obama worshippers. They can watch their god skyrocket spending every year, then blindly assume (after he's re-elected of course) that he'll just make huge cuts in spending contrary to everything he's done his entire political career.

I don't think the potion i have is strong enough though.

New Topics

Forum List

Back