Who here wishes that it was George Bush .....

Originally posted by OCA
Got it but didn't bother to register in the Times website so didn't view it. Why don't you run it down for me and see if its not something I already know as I read the Greek papers daily.

April 7, 2004
Uneasy Greeks Focus on Olympic Safety
By CLIFFORD J. LEVY

THENS, April 6 - Four months before thousands of world-class athletes and legions of spectators descend here for the Summer Olympics, the Greek authorities, already on the defensive because of delays in completing sporting sites, are confronting renewed fears about security at the Games.

The Spanish terror bombings last month unnerved this ancient capital, and contributed to the Greek government's decision to request NATO help during the Olympics. The alliance is expected to deploy ships and Awacs surveillance planes to patrol the Greek coastline and airspace, and to provide other help to protect against chemical, biological and nuclear attacks.

Officials here, hoping to put to rest their country's reputation as lax on terrorism, have repeatedly declared that the Games will be safe and noted that they are spending nearly $1 billion on a security operation that is by far the costliest and most extensive in Olympic history. International Olympic officials, who monitor but do not control security, have said they have confidence in the preparations.

The government plans to deploy more than 55,000 police officers and military personnel in Athens and around the country, with a particular focus on roughly 70 sporting and tourism sites, like the main Olympic stadium and large hotels. The government has relied heavily on officials and private experts from an advisory group of nations - the United States, Australia, Britain, France, Germany, Israel and Spain.

Both the F.B.I. and the C.I.A. have been involved in the planning, officials here said, and the United States Department of Energy is supplying millions of dollars in radiation detectors to help ward off any attack by a so-called dirty bomb.

The American ambassador in Athens, Thomas J. Miller, has been in constant contact with Greek officials about security. In an interview, Mr. Miller described the arrangements as "a work in progress," declining to offer a more detailed evaluation. Other American officials here said they had seen nothing in recent weeks that would cause them to recommend that athletes or tourists skip the games. In fact, the elder Bush is planning to lead the delegation to the Olympics, Mr. Bush's office said.

Last month, 1,500 Greek police officers and soldiers, joined by hundreds of American Special Forces troops and personnel from other nations, held a two-week exercise to train for what was described as "catastrophic scenarios," including suicide bombings, chemical and biological attacks and plane hijackings.

Two senior officials from nations advising the Greeks said that the exercise showed some problems, especially involving coordination and communication, but that they believed that the Greeks could surmount them.

The Greek minister of public order, George A. Voulgarakis, acknowledged the problems in an interview on Tuesday, but said they were to be expected. "We had to correct many things," Mr. Voulgarakis said. "That is what the exercises are for. You do things, you see the weaknesses, you correct things, you go on."

He said he had no doubt that preparations were proceeding well. "Everybody that is going to come here is going to be safe and secure," he said.

Still, this is the first Summer Games since the Sept. 11 attacks, and they are taking place in a country that has long and porous borders and coastline, close proximity to the Middle East and a history of popular sentiment against Washington.

Even before the railway bombings in Spain, some senior American officials had voiced misgivings about the Games. In February, Senator Jon Kyl, an Arizona Republican who is chairman of a Senate subcommittee on terrorism, said he would not feel safe at them and would instead watch them on television.

No prominent athletes have withdrawn from the Olympics over security issues, but some, including the tennis star Serena Williams, have expressed anxiety about attending. The United States team will have its own security force of 100 to 110 agents, mostly from the F.B.I., and special security arrangements are being made for the American area in the Olympic village.

In recent weeks, the myriad problems with the Olympic infrastructure - many sites are not finished, and plans for a roof on the swimming pool were recently scrapped - have amplified the safety concerns.

The delays have not only raised questions about the competence of the Greek government and Greek Olympic committee, but have also made it more difficult to assess security. Contractors cannot install surveillance cameras without walls on which to affix them, and police officers cannot familiarize themselves with all the nooks and crannies where terrorists might lurk while the venues are still construction sites.

Mr. Voulgarakis, the public order minister, dismissed such concerns, saying that construction would be completed far enough in advance to allow for proper training.

Greece is no stranger to terrorism. For years, a left-wing homegrown group called November 17 conducted attacks with seeming impunity; among its victims were four Americans. In a report in 2000, the State Department described Greece as "one of the weakest links in Europe's efforts against terrorism."

Greece went after the November 17 group in 2002, and many of its members are now in jail. Yet even recently there have been minor attacks by what are considered fringe elements. Last month, a group calling itself Revolutionary Struggle claimed responsibility for planting a crude bomb, later defused, at a Citibank here. The group cited NATO involvement in Olympic security as one motive for the attack.

Mr. Voulgarakis said the group was insignificant, and would not create trouble during the Olympics. Since the crackdown on the November 17 group, he said, "we do not have local terrorist groups here anymore."

Shadowing the planning for any Olympics is the memory of the Palestinian terrorist attacks at the Munich Games in 1972, in which 11 Israelis were killed. But Greek officials and experts said they were acutely aware that even a relatively minor incident could tarnish the Athens Olympics. They point out that American security could not prevent the bombing at the Olympic Park during the Atlanta Games in 1996, which killed one person.

Mary Bossis, a Greek terrorism expert who teaches at the School of National Defense, said she was certain that the Greek authorities understood the challenges of securing the Olympics.

"Spain mobilized a lot of people," she said. "Everyone was in shock."

Originally posted by Funk55
That was burned and dragged through the streets of Iraq instead of our American soldiers.

I wish it was you. Since it wasn't, feel free to kill yourself.

Originally posted by jimnyc
I wish it was you. Since it wasn't, feel free to kill yourself.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

OCA....I read somewhere today that the Greek Government has asked NATO for help. airspace and border patrol type of thing, under Greek command with NATO footing the bill. I think that whomever is going to commit the act is already inbedded overthere sorry to say.

Originally posted by st8_o_mind
April 7, 2004
Uneasy Greeks Focus on Olympic Safety
By CLIFFORD J. LEVY

THENS, April 6 - Four months before thousands of world-class athletes and legions of spectators descend here for the Summer Olympics, the Greek authorities, already on the defensive because of delays in completing sporting sites, are confronting renewed fears about security at the Games.

The Spanish terror bombings last month unnerved this ancient capital, and contributed to the Greek government's decision to request NATO help during the Olympics. The alliance is expected to deploy ships and Awacs surveillance planes to patrol the Greek coastline and airspace, and to provide other help to protect against chemical, biological and nuclear attacks.

Officials here, hoping to put to rest their country's reputation as lax on terrorism, have repeatedly declared that the Games will be safe and noted that they are spending nearly $1 billion on a security operation that is by far the costliest and most extensive in Olympic history. International Olympic officials, who monitor but do not control security, have said they have confidence in the preparations.

The government plans to deploy more than 55,000 police officers and military personnel in Athens and around the country, with a particular focus on roughly 70 sporting and tourism sites, like the main Olympic stadium and large hotels. The government has relied heavily on officials and private experts from an advisory group of nations - the United States, Australia, Britain, France, Germany, Israel and Spain.

Both the F.B.I. and the C.I.A. have been involved in the planning, officials here said, and the United States Department of Energy is supplying millions of dollars in radiation detectors to help ward off any attack by a so-called dirty bomb.

The American ambassador in Athens, Thomas J. Miller, has been in constant contact with Greek officials about security. In an interview, Mr. Miller described the arrangements as "a work in progress," declining to offer a more detailed evaluation. Other American officials here said they had seen nothing in recent weeks that would cause them to recommend that athletes or tourists skip the games. In fact, the elder Bush is planning to lead the delegation to the Olympics, Mr. Bush's office said.

Last month, 1,500 Greek police officers and soldiers, joined by hundreds of American Special Forces troops and personnel from other nations, held a two-week exercise to train for what was described as "catastrophic scenarios," including suicide bombings, chemical and biological attacks and plane hijackings.

Two senior officials from nations advising the Greeks said that the exercise showed some problems, especially involving coordination and communication, but that they believed that the Greeks could surmount them.

The Greek minister of public order, George A. Voulgarakis, acknowledged the problems in an interview on Tuesday, but said they were to be expected. "We had to correct many things," Mr. Voulgarakis said. "That is what the exercises are for. You do things, you see the weaknesses, you correct things, you go on."

He said he had no doubt that preparations were proceeding well. "Everybody that is going to come here is going to be safe and secure," he said.

Still, this is the first Summer Games since the Sept. 11 attacks, and they are taking place in a country that has long and porous borders and coastline, close proximity to the Middle East and a history of popular sentiment against Washington.

Even before the railway bombings in Spain, some senior American officials had voiced misgivings about the Games. In February, Senator Jon Kyl, an Arizona Republican who is chairman of a Senate subcommittee on terrorism, said he would not feel safe at them and would instead watch them on television.

No prominent athletes have withdrawn from the Olympics over security issues, but some, including the tennis star Serena Williams, have expressed anxiety about attending. The United States team will have its own security force of 100 to 110 agents, mostly from the F.B.I., and special security arrangements are being made for the American area in the Olympic village.

In recent weeks, the myriad problems with the Olympic infrastructure - many sites are not finished, and plans for a roof on the swimming pool were recently scrapped - have amplified the safety concerns.

The delays have not only raised questions about the competence of the Greek government and Greek Olympic committee, but have also made it more difficult to assess security. Contractors cannot install surveillance cameras without walls on which to affix them, and police officers cannot familiarize themselves with all the nooks and crannies where terrorists might lurk while the venues are still construction sites.

Mr. Voulgarakis, the public order minister, dismissed such concerns, saying that construction would be completed far enough in advance to allow for proper training.

Greece is no stranger to terrorism. For years, a left-wing homegrown group called November 17 conducted attacks with seeming impunity; among its victims were four Americans. In a report in 2000, the State Department described Greece as "one of the weakest links in Europe's efforts against terrorism."

Greece went after the November 17 group in 2002, and many of its members are now in jail. Yet even recently there have been minor attacks by what are considered fringe elements. Last month, a group calling itself Revolutionary Struggle claimed responsibility for planting a crude bomb, later defused, at a Citibank here. The group cited NATO involvement in Olympic security as one motive for the attack.

Mr. Voulgarakis said the group was insignificant, and would not create trouble during the Olympics. Since the crackdown on the November 17 group, he said, "we do not have local terrorist groups here anymore."

Shadowing the planning for any Olympics is the memory of the Palestinian terrorist attacks at the Munich Games in 1972, in which 11 Israelis were killed. But Greek officials and experts said they were acutely aware that even a relatively minor incident could tarnish the Athens Olympics. They point out that American security could not prevent the bombing at the Olympic Park during the Atlanta Games in 1996, which killed one person.

Mary Bossis, a Greek terrorism expert who teaches at the School of National Defense, said she was certain that the Greek authorities understood the challenges of securing the Olympics.

"Spain mobilized a lot of people," she said. "Everyone was in shock."

You have to realize 1 thing, the Greeks are a last minute people and take fashionably late to new heights. Things will be done and of course they need NATO help for security. Greece is not a big country, but alas this is the most perfect place for the Olympics, its birthplace.

Originally posted by jon_forward
:clap: :clap: :clap:

OCA....I read somewhere today that the Greek Government has asked NATO for help. airspace and border patrol type of thing, under Greek command with NATO footing the bill. I think that whomever is going to commit the act is already inbedded overthere sorry to say.

Like I said before, I don't care who they get over there there are too many ways to get into the country that only the locals know about.

Wait a sec, this thread was started by Funk55 and now we've got a Funk56 viewing. I think we got us a certified looney.

What do I think of Clinton...Come on you must be kidding.. What do Clinton do wrong ?? get a blowjob...oh my what a crime...he got a blowjob...hes a human being who let himslef be seduced by a woman and lied when confronted...WHO IN THE FUCK WOULDNT LIE ON TV ABOUT IT !!!!!! JESUS CHRIST !!! GEORGE BUSH IS KILLING PEOPLE...INVADED A COUNTRY FOR NO REASON...AND CLINTON GOT A BLOW JOB...NOW YOU FUCKING TELL ME WHICH IS WORSE YOU STUPID ASS.

Originally posted by Zhukov
I also don't believe 'dissent' includes murder and dragging the carcass thru the streets.

Incidentally, I didn't notice this at first because of the amazing stupidity of the sentence but:

They weren't our soldiers. The were apparently civilian contractors there of their own free will.

The soldier dragged thru the streets was in Somalia. After that we ran away. Tell me Funk, what do you think about Pres. Clinton?

I dare you to answer.

Originally posted by Funk56
What do I think of Clinton...Come on you must be kidding.. What do Clinton do wrong ?? get a blowjob...oh my what a crime...he got a blowjob...hes a human being who let himslef be seduced by a woman and lied when confronted...WHO IN THE FUCK WOULDNT LIE ON TV ABOUT IT !!!!!! JESUS CHRIST !!! GEORGE BUSH IS KILLING PEOPLE...INVADED A COUNTRY FOR NO REASON...AND CLINTON GOT A BLOW JOB...NOW YOU FUCKING TELL ME WHICH IS WORSE YOU STUPID ASS.

You are the stupidest human alive. Go blow a goat.

who let himslef be seduced by a woman

Something I know you would never do. Now grow a pair of balls and join the rest of us males !

OPAAAAA! There he is!

Clinton showed incredibly poor judgement by getting involved with that cow first off and then lying UNDER OATH about it when he knew the game was over not too mention the fact that he turned down 3 offers to take in Bin Laden and therefore allowing 9/11 to happen. Now who is more of a stupid ass? The one who shits himself or the one who cleans it up?

Now lets say 911 never happend...would you still support invading IRAQ. ??? I am not saying I support Saddam...of course he was crazy....but that does not warrant invading IRAQ...and someone please...oh please tell me what Iraq or Saddam had to do with 911 ??? Come on...attempt to explain what Iraq had to do with 911...

Now lets say 911 never happend...would you still support invading IRAQ. ??? I am not saying I support Saddam...of course he was crazy....but that does not warrant invading IRAQ...and someone please...oh please tell me what Iraq or Saddam had to do with 911 ??? Come on...attempt to explain what Iraq had to do with 911...

Nothing to do with 9/11.

I would have fully supported invading Iraq regardless. In fact, it should have been done long ago.

Why do you take it in the ass from goats?

55 got banned...so 56 is here...untill the site gets a real administrator...I will be back.

Forum List

Back