Who Here Supports a Draft?

Rumsfeld was anti-military!?! Wow. Well, I guess that he was in the way that he practically brushed away soldiers’ concerns about armor.

I take anything CNN says with a grain of salt; and PBS blatantly lies, so I don't give any credence to anything they print.

agreeing - Draft Bad and unnecessary.

and wanting a draft to stop a war???

it's that putting da cart before da horse.

I take anything CNN says with a grain of salt; and PBS blatantly lies, so I don't give any credence to anything they print.

:eusa_doh: yeah without fox my world view crumbles and i start to get depressed.

Really? Elections and impeachment have no meaning for you?

The government is for the people and of the people. The people are the most important part of our country. Or at least that's the way it is supposed to be.

Oh, on re-read, maybe you're actually agreeing with me.

Name a State that allows you to Impeach a Federal Congressman, Senator or President.

:eusa_doh: yeah without fox my world view crumbles and i start to get depressed.

Wall Street Journal.
Washington Post.
Local news, for heaven sakes.
Talk radio.
For a wide variety I check out Drudge every now and then. He pulls from all spectrums.

Sadly, where I live Fox news is not on basic cable. I have not sunk into depression, though.

Sadly, where I live Fox news is not on basic cable. I have not sunk into depression, though.

Funny that you should say that...When I was living in the Seattle area a couple of years ago the cable company ONLY offered CNN but no Fox News. Whereas if one lived in the Kirkland, Bellvue, Redmond area ( Microsoft headquarters) one could get both.

I like having a choice. Both news channels come at things with different angles. I just tune out both their bias.

What has that got to do with my point?

At the federal level we do NOT have an individual right or ability to impeach ANY official. We elect them for x amount of time and they serve that time. You claimed we could impeach them when we can not. Only Congress can Impeach.

Further are you aware that only Congress can seat members? This means, and has happened, that an elected Congressman or Senator can be denied the right to be seated in his Body of Congress and thus has no vote.

Who Here Supports a Draft?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's face it, the all volunteer army has been a disaster.

By now, you've heard the report by some army officials requesting a surge for the surge. I don't think it's fair that on an issue as serious as the Iraq war only a tiny majority of American households absorb it's misery.

Democrats and Republicans alike say they "support the troops," but is that merely a copout excusing them from aiding their nation?

For the first time ever in U.S. history, the people who clean the armies plates, do the laundry, cook the food etc are contract workers. In fact, there are 165,000 contract workers supplementing American soldiers in Iraq.

These American workers make more money than soldiers in combat and have also absorbed 1,000 deaths and thousands wounded.

If the war continues, that means soldiers currently in Iraq will have tours beyond, according to internal armed forces assesments, what the human mind can take.

I think these unique attributes to the Iraq war has made it almost make believe to most American households. It's 'something that happens to other families.'

I don't think it's fair. A Democrat or Republican can never be serious when he or she says "they support the troops" and not also support a draft.

Every American household should realize war is not make believe. This is a lesson that cannot be told, but rather only shown: by way of a notice from the defense department ordering your attendance at a military base.

War is a serious matter and when your nation gets involved, so do you.
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

Are you being stupid? How exactly does one determine what the plans of the military are if they are not going to go by the STATED PLANS of , well, that military?

And which of us actually spent 16 years in said military, with access to plans and preperations and contingency plans and training all those years? I guess we spent all those years in those field exercises just to waste time and waste tax payers money?

Ohh did I mention my father spent 22 years in the Army? I wonder which of us would know what the military was all about?

Apparently the army hasn't taught you reading comprehension. Measuring the success of the army mission statement, and determining their stated mission is two very different things. And suffice to say, a mission statement found on an army website does not qualify as evidence that "politicians seeing money signs for pet projects and social programs," is the reason for the cuts.

Back up your claim with hard empirical evidence citing internal documents, or have your argument thrown out with this week's latest political garbage.

On another note. I do not care, nor is it relevant whether or not you, or your kin have served. It is not pertinent to the discussion and does not substantiate the claims you have made. Like I said, the all volunteer army has been a dismal failure.

Do you think you would ever have seen Eisenhower riding around Europe with private security watching his back? It's an insult to all Americans. Current Washington politicians protect themselves with security companies like Blackwater rather than members of US armed forces.

But that's what happens when the military takes on a "modern" Enron style business model.

The decision to cut the army divisions had nothing to do with "social services" or "pet projects." Americans and many high ranking officers just aren't willing to spend more than the highly accepted 1 per cent of GDP the military has historically been allotted.

And you're wrong about it being "your army". This line of reasoning is akin to a rowdy pre-teen declaring the house he lives in belongs to him/her - even though it's his parents who pay the mortgage, put food on the table and slap the clothes on his/her back.

It is not your army. The army is taxpayer property, period.

Make sure you always remember that the next time you make a ridiculous statement of ownership to an entity you do not solely foot the bill for.

Apparently the army hasn't taught you reading comprehension. Measuring the success of the army mission statement, and determining their stated mission is two very different things. And suffice to say, a mission statement found on an army website does not qualify as evidence that "politicians seeing money signs for pet projects and social programs," is the reason.

Back up your claim with hard empirical evidence, or have your argument thrown out with this week's garbage.

On another note. I do not care, nor is it relevant whether or not you, or your kin have served. It is not pertinent to the discussion and does not substantiate the claims you have made. Like I said, the all volunteer army has been a dismal failure.

Do you think you would ever have seen Eisenhower riding around Europe with private security watching his back? It's an insult to all Americans. Current Washington politicians protect themselves with security companies like Blackwater rather than members of US armed forces.

But that's what happens when the military takes on a "modern" Enron style business model.

That's why our all volunteer "failure" is the strongest and most effective fighting force on the planet.........

That's why our all volunteer "failure" is the strongest and most effective fighting force on the planet.........

I wholeheartedly disagree. Why? Because beating up on a severely weakened country in 2003 (Iraq) is not an example of this power, nor a true test of it's effectiveness. In 2003, the US military proved what every credible military analyst already knew - that it could destroy a handicapped nation carrying the battle flags of an already mortally wounded conventional force.

One of the reasons why the Iraq invasion was possible was prescisely because Iraq was weak from the sanctions and conditions from the first Gulf War imposed by the Western powers (mainly Washington). Iraq in 2003 could be invaded because it was weak, and had virtually no deterrent capability.

It's been five years and the US military is bogged down in an engagement with an enemy whose sole weapon is glorified pipe bombs. This is just the reality.

As every military person knows, combat is the best training soldiers can get. That's why the British and Israeli armies were considered the best throughout the 1980s and into 1990s. They had combat experience from Ireland and Lebanon. Now that the US military has the most combat experienced troops, we are the best in the world.

And, as every military person knows, counterinsurgency warfare is the toughest type of war to fight. The main problem is patience, which dumbass civilians seems to lack. People tend to think of this type of warfare in the terms of a hour long tv show where everything is taken care at the end of the hour. Reality is different, but then again, a military person would know that. Obviously, Goodshithead knows squat about the military and less about counterinsurgency warfare and should therefore shut his fucking piehole.

I wholeheartedly disagree. Why? Because beating up on a severely weakened country in 2003 (Iraq) is not an example of this power, nor a true test of it's effectiveness. In 2003, the US military proved what every credible military analyst already knew - that it could destroy a handicapped nation carrying the battle flags of an already mortally wounded conventional force.

One of the reasons why the Iraq invasion was possible was prescisely because Iraq was weak from the sanctions and conditions from the first Gulf War imposed by the Western powers (mainly Washington). Iraq in 2003 could be invaded because it was weak, and had virtually no deterrent capability.

It's been five years and the US military is bogged down in an engagement with an enemy whose sole weapon is glorified pipe bombs. This is just the reality.

Last I checked, the military soldiers didn't all sit down in a cafeteria and take a democratic vote on whether or not they wanted to invade Iraq. You'er obviously confused and mixing the "workings" of the U.S. military, and the shitty decisions of the U.S. politician.

You're arguing about the reasons for war, this has nothing to do with the American military and how they function. They're given a mission, and they do their job.

As far as a weak Iraq, we also kicked their asses in 91 when they had a strong military....Took 1 week to push them out of Kuwait.

Last I checked, the military soldiers didn't all sit down in a cafeteria and take a democratic vote on whether or not they wanted to invade Iraq. You'er obviously confused and mixing the "workings" of the U.S. military, and the shitty decisions of the U.S. politician.

You're arguing about the reasons for war, this has nothing to do with the American military and how they function. They're given a mission, and they do their job.

As far as a weak Iraq, we also kicked their asses in 91 when they had a strong military....Took 1 week to push them out of Kuwait.

No I am not arguing the reasons for for war. I'm arguing why the all volunteer military has been a disaster.

Wrong as usual. Iraq's forces were severely depressed from the Iran-Iraq war. And again, no credible military analyst for one second thought the US would ever lose against Iraq in 91 either.

Forum List

Back