Who here "opposes" this simple Sanders' proposal?

Exactly the problem. Hospitals and other healthcare providers are charging many times their cost for the goods and services they provide in order to also cover the cost of what they provide to those who will not pay. They claim (very often correctly)they must do this in order to stay open/continue. As long as insurance co's and providers simply pass along these overcharges to the consumer-as they currently do-we have a system that routinely defrauds the consumer with the approval of the government.

Agree....to all the points you're making.......
We seem to [albeit, grudgingly] accept that private insurers and hospitals try to equalize their losses by subsidizing or mitigating those losses with increases to those who CAN pay......BUT,

when the "dreaded government" wants to step in and tell any of us, "look, that hospital or private insurer is charging you MORE because they need for you to subsidize those who can't pay......so, pay a mandated premium to ALSO equalize the profit-loss ration...etc."

Most Americans are up in arms over "government intrudes too much"....when actually government is substituting itself as the "equalizer".

The system can't be fixed while insurance companies are an integral part of the system.
Yes.
Ask this question of yourself.
If I am the none paying the freight, why would I allow myself to be excluded from negotiating the prices I pay?

Exactly the problem. Hospitals and other healthcare providers are charging many times their cost for the goods and services they provide in order to also cover the cost of what they provide to those who will not pay. They claim (very often correctly)they must do this in order to stay open/continue. As long as insurance co's and providers simply pass along these overcharges to the consumer-as they currently do-we have a system that routinely defrauds the consumer with the approval of the government.
You left out one important fact.
The amounts paid by insurance companies are much lower than what appears on the bill.
For example, I see a chiropractor as a cash patient.
My adjustment is $55 including traction.
When I used my insurance, my bill was $155....That is how much the Dr charged the insurance company. The reason that amount is chosen is because the insurance company would reimburse the Dr's office.....wait for it.......$55. The rest is "written off"....

New Topics

Forum List

Back