Who here actually thinks that separation of church & state is a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by manifold, Oct 20, 2010.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,770
    Identify and explain yourselves please. :eusa_eh:

2. beowolfe

beowolfe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I don't. I lived in the south in the 1960's and those darn blue laws drove me crazy. Losing the reins of the southern baptists was the best thing to happen to the south since slavery was outlawed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. topspin

topspin BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +196
    LOL blue laws
    I was in NC in the 80's trying to buy a beer on Sunday at a 711 and the redneck looked at me like I was a Martian.

4. beowolfe

beowolfe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +204
    We haven't gotten rid of them all yet.....but it's a lot better now than it was in the 60's and 70's. Heck, even now in Arkansas, you can't buy a beer on sunday without going to a 'private club'......

5. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Depends on how far you want to take it. and what you think was meant by it originally.

Before our revolution the pope told kings and queens what and when to do things. And they had to do so w/o question or risk being excamunicated (-1sp). many goveners, mayors etc had to have preists, preachers, bishops as advisors.

Basically, most countries were owned by one form of religion or another. And since we had most religions in America, there would have been more and more religious issues that could have kept us apart rather than bringing us together.

In that situation, keep religion out.

If you are talking about tearing down the 10 commandments, or cutting down a cross in the desert that was dedicated to the fallen. then no. It's seperation "of" not "from" religion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    All you had to do was go to the boarder of the county. I am 99.99% sure there was an open store that would have sold you beer.

7. beowolfe

beowolfe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +204
    My problem with christians and the first amendment is they don't seem to think that it applies to other religions. They are content to use government power to stop the guy in NY from building the mosque. But they don't want government telliing them not to do something.

I'm for the even handed application of ALL consitutional provisions and laws. If you can use the law to stop a mosque from being built, then you should be able to use that same law to remove a cross in the desert or remove the 10 comandments from government buildings.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Two Thumbs

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    Not certain I want to get into this.

The masque in NY is a rude thing to do. It would be like putting up a church near where mohammed got sucked into heaven.

I'm against it as an American. You don't kill my people and build a temple so close to thier graves and expect me to take that in stride b/c you have the right to be an asshole.

And your comparing that mosque to Cross that was put up to honor our veterans is fucking disgusting, and totally disgracefull.

9. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,322
    Muslims pray daily in the Pentagon chapel. The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is near the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem.

Try again.

10. beowolfe

beowolfe Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I'd have to drive the the county border at the state line maybe. And then that may not be possible. But Arkansas does tailor it's laws so it's border counties can operate under the same rules as the neighboring states. So, if I went to West Memphis, I could possibly buy a beer on sunday if Memphis, TN sold beer on Sunday.....or Texarkana maybe. Unfortunately, two hours is a long time to drive for a beer.