Who here actually thinks that separation of church & state is a bad thing?

I don't. I lived in the south in the 1960's and those darn blue laws drove me crazy. Losing the reins of the southern baptists was the best thing to happen to the south since slavery was outlawed.

LOL blue laws
I was in NC in the 80's trying to buy a beer on Sunday at a 711 and the redneck looked at me like I was a Martian.

LOL blue laws
I was in NC in the 80's trying to buy a beer on Sunday at a 711 and the redneck looked at me like I was a Martian.

We haven't gotten rid of them all yet.....but it's a lot better now than it was in the 60's and 70's. Heck, even now in Arkansas, you can't buy a beer on sunday without going to a 'private club'......

Depends on how far you want to take it. and what you think was meant by it originally.

Before our revolution the pope told kings and queens what and when to do things. And they had to do so w/o question or risk being excamunicated (-1sp). many goveners, mayors etc had to have preists, preachers, bishops as advisors.

Basically, most countries were owned by one form of religion or another. And since we had most religions in America, there would have been more and more religious issues that could have kept us apart rather than bringing us together.

In that situation, keep religion out.

If you are talking about tearing down the 10 commandments, or cutting down a cross in the desert that was dedicated to the fallen. then no. It's seperation "of" not "from" religion.

LOL blue laws

We haven't gotten rid of them all yet.....but it's a lot better now than it was in the 60's and 70's. Heck, even now in Arkansas, you can't buy a beer on sunday without going to a 'private club'......

All you had to do was go to the boarder of the county. I am 99.99% sure there was an open store that would have sold you beer.

Depends on how far you want to take it. and what you think was meant by it originally.

Before our revolution the pope told kings and queens what and when to do things. And they had to do so w/o question or risk being excamunicated (-1sp). many goveners, mayors etc had to have preists, preachers, bishops as advisors.

Basically, most countries were owned by one form of religion or another. And since we had most religions in America, there would have been more and more religious issues that could have kept us apart rather than bringing us together.

If you are talking about tearing down the 10 commandments, or cutting down a cross in the desert that was dedicated to the fallen. then no. It's seperation "of" not "from" religion.

My problem with christians and the first amendment is they don't seem to think that it applies to other religions. They are content to use government power to stop the guy in NY from building the mosque. But they don't want government telliing them not to do something.

I'm for the even handed application of ALL consitutional provisions and laws. If you can use the law to stop a mosque from being built, then you should be able to use that same law to remove a cross in the desert or remove the 10 comandments from government buildings.

My problem with christians and the first amendment is they don't seem to think that it applies to other religions. They are content to use government power to stop the guy in NY from building the mosque. But they don't want government telliing them not to do something.

I'm for the even handed application of ALL consitutional provisions and laws. If you can use the law to stop a mosque from being built, then you should be able to use that same law to remove a cross in the desert or remove the 10 comandments from government buildings.

Not certain I want to get into this.

The masque in NY is a rude thing to do. It would be like putting up a church near where mohammed got sucked into heaven.

I'm against it as an American. You don't kill my people and build a temple so close to thier graves and expect me to take that in stride b/c you have the right to be an asshole.

And your comparing that mosque to Cross that was put up to honor our veterans is fucking disgusting, and totally disgracefull.

Not certain I want to get into this.

The masque in NY is a rude thing to do. It would be like putting up a church near where mohammed got sucked into heaven.

I'm against it as an American. You don't kill my people and build a temple so close to thier graves and expect me to take that in stride b/c you have the right to be an asshole.

And your comparing that mosque to Cross that was put up to honor our veterans is fucking disgusting, and totally disgracefull.

Muslims pray daily in the Pentagon chapel. The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is near the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem.

Try again.

LOL blue laws

All you had to do was go to the boarder of the county. I am 99.99% sure there was an open store that would have sold you beer.

I'd have to drive the the county border at the state line maybe. And then that may not be possible. But Arkansas does tailor it's laws so it's border counties can operate under the same rules as the neighboring states. So, if I went to West Memphis, I could possibly buy a beer on sunday if Memphis, TN sold beer on Sunday.....or Texarkana maybe. Unfortunately, two hours is a long time to drive for a beer.

LOL blue laws

I remember showing up in Jacksonville, south of Little Rock and checking into the Holiday Inn (didn't have a BOQ room for me yet)...and just about fainting when they told me it was a dry county. Yet they had a "private club" for $5 to join at the Holiday Inn. Clever Southerners. Always ways to get around those biblical morality restrictions. Now I even understand you can find a decent bar in Salt Lake city.

manifold said:
Anyone not a part of the church trying to run the state, as well as anyone in that church who disagrees with the rules attempting to be enforced. Here's an easy test: would you mind if Muslim or Taoist leaders used their religious practices to shape the country?

Your people? Which kind of people is that? Your racism is amusing. Would you be against a Christian church being built? Would that also be rude? How about a Jewish temple? Let me guess: you are completely incapable of differentiating between individuals that have a skin color different than yours.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jopstEt1kQ[/ame]

Buy your beer on a Saturday.... problem solved.
"NO WAY!!!"

PH2010091407011.jpg

529.gif

manifold said:
Anyone not a part of the church trying to run the state, as well as anyone in that church who disagrees with the rules attempting to be enforced. Here's an easy test: would you mind if Muslim or Taoist leaders used their religious practices to shape the country?

Your people? Which kind of people is that? Your racism is amusing. Would you be against a Christian church being built? Would that also be rude? How about a Jewish temple? Let me guess: you are completely incapable of differentiating between individuals that have a skin color different than yours.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jopstEt1kQ[/ame]

You are a first class asshole, you fucking moron.

My people you idiot, are other Americans. Even fucking assholes like you. Yes, I would fight, and have fought for your right to be an asshole.

And you call me a fucking racist?

Hey asshole, did you know the church that WAS ALREADY THERE, is being blocked from being re-built? Do you even fucking care? No, why? B/c those evil christians don't need a place to pray.

You don't even know me fuck nut, don't make fake ass accusations you can't fucking back up.

I see no problem with kids saying a prayer in school or at a school football game or graduation if that's what they wanted to do. I see no problem with the 10 Commandments being posted in our court houses. I see no problem with Christmas displays on public property. How far do you want to take all of this?

I see no problem with kids saying a prayer in school or at a school football game or graduation if that's what they wanted to do. I see no problem with the 10 Commandments being posted in our court houses. I see no problem with Christmas displays on public property. How far do you want to take all of this?

I'm glad you do....now...would you see no problem if the kids in school were saying a Satanic prayer...would you have a problem if the prayer at a football game or graduation was a Muslim prayer? Would you have a problem with the tenets of Buddhism being posted in our court houses? Would you see a problem with Hindu displays on public property?

How far do YOU want to take this?

Forum List

Back