Who has to work Monday?

I am sure this is in the wrong place, but I was curious and hope the mods will leave it for a bit.

I will be working, but I gave all my employees the day off so they could enjoy a 4 day weekend with their families and friends. The younger kids especially seemed to appreciate it. Little things like this simple act has helped build loyalty over the years.
I can't believe how many people are working. It's going to be the least productive day ever.

In Europe most everyone works half day Fridays and they get a lot more holidays than we do.

The weekend went by so fast I am going to play on the lake all day tomorrow
Lots of people will be going to the bank on Monday for cash.

It is a good day for bank robberies too.

So Monday will be a busy day for me monitoring bank customers and making my usual semi hourly exterior patrols to flash my badge and gun to discourage anyone from getting into a firefight with moi.

Also when a customer gets rude with a teller or bank officer I go stand next to our employee so they can see my gun and badge better. Usually then they shut the fokk up.

So lots and lots of walking in my job.

But walking is better than sitting or standing.
I have one job where I get to drive a golf cart during a security shift at the local campgrounds,,,,soo sweet..
I have one job where I get to drive a golf cart

I have an occasional (when required by others) pastime whereby if it's busy, I will ride in or drive a golf cart, but in general, I prefer to walk.
I prefer riding my mountain bike.
I enjoy biking too, but I'm a road biker, not a mountain biker.

When I'm in D.C., my favorite ride is the one from my home to Mt. Vernon and back. The one to Great Falls is my second favorite. Those rides comprise a material share of my aerobic exercise regimen. The C&O canal route to Great Falls is good too, but it's more jarring and a much slower ride than is the road route. There's a route -- Fletcher's Loop -- I like on the weekends, but it takes more than the few hours it takes to go to Mt. Vernon or Great Falls (each about 40 miles RT), both of which are doable by anyone in three and half hours or less. (I take about 2 hours and 15 to 30 minutes on either of the shorter rides, so it's an early morning favorite before hitting the gym and then starting my workday.)

Fletcher's Loop (55 miles)

425x524xfletch.gif.pagespeed.ic.r_IHAzRRJG.png

I used to be a hard ass and it wasn't productive regarding employee relations. In my previous life I was in retail management at the upper levels. It burned me out. Dealing with corporate overlords is about the worst life I could envision. I decided there was a better way. I have some progressive ideas about the number of hours worked and productivity. My business hours for most employees are 8am to 3 or 4pm. We manage to accomplish more in that time frame and it allows those with kids to be home to raise their kids. Revenue is continuing to increase and the bottom line is better than ever.
One of the best jobs I ever had was piece work. I could double or better my pay for a few days then take some off or just sit back and do the minimum for a day or two. I loved it.
I get tons of overtime pay now but rarely do I get a day off other than Sundays or Federal holidays.

Summer is the bankrobbery season so no chance to go anywhere far from home.
Yeah, piece work probably doesn't work for police.
Police have got to work 24/7/365 1/4th per year.

Crime never stops.

Murders never stop.

Robbery never stops.

Terrorism never stops.

Rape never stops.

The police must be on duty to investigate and write up all these crimes.

But the police cannot protect you.

Only a well armed private security guard can protect you.

And if you cannot afford one of your own then you need your own guns. And training. And practice. And ammo.

Last edited:
I have one job where I get to drive a golf cart during a security shift at the local campgrounds,,,,soo sweet..

I have an occasional (when required by others) pastime whereby if it's busy, I will ride in or drive a golf cart, but in general, I prefer to walk.
Me too, biking gives a whole different perspective to architecture, landscapes and takes automobiles out of the equation. Well, until they almost run you over, that is.
Love bicycling. Every day. 16 miles before I go to work. Two wide? Dumb. Three wide. Idiots.
16 miles one way? Wow. I am beat after six, but I am sixty, and ...excuses excuses ,Impressive.
My own threshold of pain for flat biking is 30 miles.

For mountain biking about 4 hours steep.

That's when you then drag your aching azz back home and take aspirin and ibuprofen and wash it down with booze.

Last edited:

Me too, biking gives a whole different perspective to architecture, landscapes and takes automobiles out of the equation. Well, until they almost run you over, that is.
Love bicycling. Every day. 16 miles before I go to work. Two wide? Dumb. Three wide. Idiots.
16 miles one way? Wow. I am beat after six, but I am sixty, and ...excuses excuses ,Impressive.
Home and back total. Mean hills in the the way. The last push is punishing, then clean sailing after that. Cool down period.

"Having to work" on any given day is a relative thing for me. When there's work to be done by a given point in time -- which is the case for all the work I perform -- the day of the week has nothing to do with whether I work. I work the days/times I need to in order to get my work done as thoroughly as possible and have it done before (preferably) or when it's due. An upside, and there are several, is that for about 90% of what I do, I am the person who decides what is due and when it's due.

As for my staff, some them may work tomorrow and others, the ones who've planned their work accordingly, will not work tomorrow. I don't dictate to them when they work, only the level of quality I expect in their work and when their work is due in my hands/inbox.
I can't believe how many people are working. It's going to be the least productive day ever.

In Europe most everyone works half day Fridays and they get a lot more holidays than we do.

So Monday will be a busy day for me monitoring bank customers and making my usual semi hourly exterior patrols to flash my badge and gun to discourage anyone from getting into a firefight with moi.

Also when a customer gets rude with a teller or bank officer I go stand next to our employee so they can see my gun and badge better. Usually then they shut the fokk up.

Sounds nice. Love campgrounds and golf carts.
campgrounds

I can't say I know much about campgrounds. I know quite a bit and have somewhat extensive experience making camp in the wilderness. I greatly enjoy going there and doing so. A golf cart wouldn't be a useful tool there, however.
Campgrounds are loaded with ants.

And they are crowded and loud.

A wilderness base camp next to your 4WD vehicle way up a trail that nobody goes is the best place to camp.

Then backpack-in further from there.
That's not quite the approach I and my friends use, but I get the basic theme and like you prefer places where others are unlikely to tread.

I enjoy biking too, but I'm a road biker, not a mountain biker.

When I'm in D.C., my favorite ride is the one from my home to Mt. Vernon and back. The one to Great Falls is my second favorite. Those rides comprise a material share of my aerobic exercise regimen. The C&O canal route to Great Falls is good too, but it's more jarring and a much slower ride than is the road route. There's a route -- Fletcher's Loop -- I like on the weekends, but it takes more than the few hours it takes to go to Mt. Vernon or Great Falls (each about 40 miles RT), both of which are doable by anyone in three and half hours or less. (I take about 2 hours and 15 to 30 minutes on either of the shorter rides, so it's an early morning favorite before hitting the gym and then starting my workday.)

Fletcher's Loop (55 miles)

425x524xfletch.gif.pagespeed.ic.r_IHAzRRJG.png
When I am in DC I stay on the Virginia side -- which honors my state concealed firearm permit.

DC and Maryland do not -- so I don't ever go there.

I used to be a hard ass and it wasn't productive regarding employee relations. In my previous life I was in retail management at the upper levels. It burned me out. Dealing with corporate overlords is about the worst life I could envision. I decided there was a better way. I have some progressive ideas about the number of hours worked and productivity. My business hours for most employees are 8am to 3 or 4pm. We manage to accomplish more in that time frame and it allows those with kids to be home to raise their kids. Revenue is continuing to increase and the bottom line is better than ever.
One of the best jobs I ever had was piece work. I could double or better my pay for a few days then take some off or just sit back and do the minimum for a day or two. I loved it.
I get tons of overtime pay now but rarely do I get a day off other than Sundays or Federal holidays.

Summer is the bankrobbery season so no chance to go anywhere far from home.
Yeah, piece work probably doesn't work for police.
Police have got to work 24/7/365 1/4th per year.

Crime never stops.

Murders never stop.

Robbery never stops.

Terrorism never stops.

Rape never stops.

The police must be on duty to investigate and write up all these crimes.

But the police cannot protect you.

Only a well armed private security guard can protect you.

And if you cannot afford one of your own then you need your own guns. And training. And practice. And ammo.
Agreed! Sorry you don't get a few days off. That sucks.

That's when you drag your aching azz back home and take aspirin and ibuprofen and wash it down with booze.
I am in awe here, really.

"Having to work" on any given day is a relative thing for me. When there's work to be done by a given point in time -- which is the case for all the work I perform -- the day of the week has nothing to do with whether I work. I work the days/times I need to in order to get my work done as thoroughly as possible and have it done before (preferably) or when it's due. An upside, and there are several, is that for about 90% of what I do, I am the person who decides what is due and when it's due.

As for my staff, some them may work tomorrow and others, the ones who've planned their work accordingly, will not work tomorrow. I don't dictate to them when they work, only the level of quality I expect in their work and when their work is due in my hands/inbox.

campgrounds

I can't say I know much about campgrounds. I know quite a bit and have somewhat extensive experience making camp in the wilderness. I greatly enjoy going there and doing so. A golf cart wouldn't be a useful tool there, however.

A wilderness base camp next to your 4WD vehicle way up a trail that nobody goes is the best place to camp.

That's not quite the approach I and my friends use, but I get the basic theme and like you prefer places where others are unlikely to tread.
When I go camping I like to be completely alone and away from humans.

Bears are fine. If they don't behave they will taste magnum slugs from my Mossberg -- which also guards my banks.

Mountain lions and coyotes don't go into tents although they will raid anything you leave outside.

Raccoons will scratch at your tent so I spray the outside with Raid Ant And Roach Killer and that keeps the raccoons away, as well as the spiders and bugs too.

The nice thing about a 12 gauge with magnum slugs is that it will kill anything on this Earth even an elephant.

Yes. That aspect has a lot to do with my preference for the Mt. Vernon Trail. There's a brief (quarter-mile or so) stretch where one is on the streets with morning car-commuters; however that segment is in a posh suburban neighborhood not a thru-road that commuters from "all over" are using to get to work. Even so, I'm on that piece of road when most people who live there and would be driving on that piece of road are generally still getting ready to leave their homes. Often enough I don't encounter moving motor vehicles on my ride.

That's when you then drag your aching azz back home and take aspirin and ibuprofen and wash it down with booze.
Bike more. That threshold will go up. Eventually you won't need the pain meds. As with so many things, that too passes.

...Be that as it may, you're doing six miles and that's six more miles of activity than a whole lotta do. Keep it up.

Who does more and who does less isn't relevant. What matters is who's doing at all and in so doing, doing the best they can.

That's when you drag your aching azz back home and take aspirin and ibuprofen and wash it down with booze.
I am in awe here, really.
You just need to build up your resistance.

My mom and my sisters think I am immortal because I joined Uncle Sam's Misguided Children at 19 in college and they tried to kill me with P/T (physical training) and they could not.

I have kept in shape ever since.

Mountain biking is my favorite exercise. There is nothing like a steep hill or trail to get your heart pumping and give you an adrenaline rush to conquer it and get over the crest and to the other side.

Yes. That aspect has a lot to do with my preference for the Mt. Vernon Trail. There's a brief (quarter-mile or so) stretch where one is on the streets with morning car-commuters; however that segment is in a posh suburban neighborhood not a thru-road that commuters from "all over" are using to get to work. Even so, I'm on that piece of road when most people who live there and would be driving on that piece of road are generally still getting ready to leave their homes. Often enough I don't encounter moving motor vehicles on my ride.
I have come to have pet names for hills or land marks. I have never told anyone this. Brutus, little Brutus and Flo. They all mean something other than being just a landmark.

Bike more. That threshold will go up. Eventually you won't need the pain meds. As with so many things, that too passes.
I don't do that much flat biking therefore it is hard to push that threshold past 30 miles.

campgrounds

Bears are fine. If they don't behave they will taste magnum slugs from my Mossberg -- which also guards my banks.

Mountain lions and coyotes don't go into tents although they will raid anything you leave outside.

Raccoons will scratch at your tent so I spray the outside with Raid Ant And Roach Killer and that keeps the raccoons away, as well as the spiders and bugs too.

The nice thing about a 12 gauge with magnum slugs is that it will kill anything on this Earth even an elephant.

Bears are fine.

Frankly, I'd prefer to see a human than a bear. When I see other people in the wilderness, I know pretty well why they're there. When I see a bear, I know I'm "invading" its space and I cannot be sure about how it'll construe my doing so. There are just too many "bear-variables" the values of which I won't know upon seeing (encountering) the creature, and too many of the "equations" that use those variables have my being harmed as part of their result.

Oh, don't get overly confident about that. Having enough need and not enough risk aversion (for my taste) or sense (rabid), they will. But, yes, generally speaking a tent is not a space into which they venture. Fortunately, however, pumas tend to make some noise when they are confused, upset or intrigued. Bears, on the other hand, go silent in those situations.

Yes. Back in my novice camper days, I found that out the hard way. I'd carried steaks into the woods, intending to keep them refrigerated overnight in the creek and have steak and eggs for breakfast the next morning. Good thing I'd also packed freeze-dried food too. LOL

I spray the outside with Raid Ant And Roach Killer

I'm a minimalist backcountry camper/backpacker. Stuff like that isn't among my kit.

... It was moved here. It was a clean thread without attacking anyone. I suspect it was moved by someone because it was in the wrong forum. I was not debating anyone or anything. It's all good.
This is a clean debate on whether Monday should also be a Federal holiday like July 4th on Tuesday.

Why not make the whole week a Federal holiday?

That's what the ancient Egyptians did every year after 12 months of 30 days each to make up for the other 5 1/4 days per solar year.
Or maybe always make July 4th fall on a Monday. Like this year, we could have July 4 th on Monday, then have July 3rd on Tuesday....then go to the regular calendar with July 5th on Wednesday.
The ancient Egyptians would not have approved of that at all.

Neither would the ancient Babylonians.

And the ancient Greeks were still illiterate at that time.

And the rest of the world was living in caves still eating each other.
I don't care what a bunch of ancient foreigners would think. We are Americans, and we can do whatever we need to do to put our holidays on Monday if we want to, damn it!

campgrounds

Bears are fine.

Frankly, I'd prefer to see a human than a bear. When I see other people in the wilderness, I know pretty well why they're there. When I see a bear, I know I'm "invading" its space and I cannot be sure about how it'll construe my doing so. There are just too many "bear-variables" the values of which I won't know upon seeing (encountering) the creature, and too many of the "equations" that use those variables have my being harmed as part of their result.

Oh, don't get overly confident about that. Having enough need and not enough risk aversion (for my taste) or sense (rabid), they will. But, yes, generally speaking a tent is not a space into which they venture. Fortunately, however, pumas tend to make some noise when they are confused, upset or intrigued. Bears, on the other hand, go silent in those situations.

I spray the outside with Raid Ant And Roach Killer

I'm a minimalist backcountry camper/backpacker. Stuff like that isn't among my kit.
I keep bugspray in my car and bugjuice in my backpack. I normally always have both.

Unless the human is a scantily clad mermaid I am not interested in seeing humans. If I do see a human that means I picked the wrong jeep trail up the wrong mountain.

Animals like bears and lions and 'yote's can tell by your body language if you are an Alpha or an Omega.

They run away from Alpha's. It's uncanny how smart they are about this.

Forum List

Back