Who has to work Monday?

Yes. It's not called "wilderness" because of the quantity of people there at any given time, including while one also is there. It's called "wilderness" if at least 5,000 acres or of sufficient size to make practicable their preservation and use in an unimpaired condition, and if they possess the following characteristics (as identified in the Wilderness Act):
  • The earth and its community of life are untrammeled by humans, where humans are visitors and do not remain.
  • The area is undeveloped and retains its primeval character and influence without permanent improvements or human habitation.
  • The area generally appears to have been affected primarily by the forces of nature, with the imprint of humans' work substantially unnoticeable.
  • The area is protected and managed so as to preserve its natural conditions.
  • The area offers outstanding opportunities for solitude or a primitive and unconfined type of recreation.
Motorized vehicles like jeeps or off road motorcycles are NOT allowed in wilderness.

Only the wild animals, pack horses, and backpackers are.
Motorized vehicles like jeeps or off road motorcycles are NOT allowed in wilderness.

I'm a "mountain guy;" thus I don't know if that's so in desert wildernesses. Have you checked to be sure it is? In some places, Black Rock, for example, it's hard to know always what's "wilderness" and whats "NCA."
The only time I go out into the desert is to detox a friend or in-law.

Otherwise I prefer mountains with springs and streams.

When I go camping I like to be completely alone and away from humans.

Bears are fine. If they don't behave they will taste magnum slugs from my Mossberg -- which also guards my banks.

Mountain lions and coyotes don't go into tents although they will raid anything you leave outside.

Raccoons will scratch at your tent so I spray the outside with Raid Ant And Roach Killer and that keeps the raccoons away, as well as the spiders and bugs too.

The nice thing about a 12 gauge with magnum slugs is that it will kill anything on this Earth even an elephant.
When I go camping I like to be completely alone and away from humans.

Bears are fine.

Frankly, I'd prefer to see a human than a bear. When I see other people in the wilderness, I know pretty well why they're there. When I see a bear, I know I'm "invading" its space and I cannot be sure about how it'll construe my doing so. There are just too many "bear-variables" the values of which I won't know upon seeing (encountering) the creature, and too many of the "equations" that use those variables have my being harmed as part of their result.

Mountain lions and coyotes don't go into tents although they will raid anything you leave outside.

Oh, don't get overly confident about that. Having enough need and not enough risk aversion (for my taste) or sense (rabid), they will. But, yes, generally speaking a tent is not a space into which they venture. Fortunately, however, pumas tend to make some noise when they are confused, upset or intrigued. Bears, on the other hand, go silent in those situations.

I spray the outside with Raid Ant And Roach Killer

I'm a minimalist backcountry camper/backpacker. Stuff like that isn't among my kit.
I keep bugspray in my car and bugjuice in my backpack. I normally always have both.

Unless the human is a scantily clad mermaid I am not interested in seeing humans. If I do see a human that means I picked the wrong jeep trail up the wrong mountain.

Animals like bears and lions and 'yote's can tell by your body language if you are an Alpha or an Omega.

They run away from Alpha's. It's uncanny how smart they are about this.
not interested in seeing humans.

"Interested in seeing" and "preferring to see" humans instead of bears are different things.

Animals like bears and lions and 'yote's can tell by your body language if you are an Alpha or an Omega.

They run away from Alpha's. It's uncanny how smart they are about this.

Yes, well, you go on and be "alpha." I'm sticking with being well informed and giving due respect and caution so as not to have to rely on a beast recognizing me as "alpha."
You can see more actual wild animals if there are no other humans around.

Especially if you go into an area that is REAL wilderness where humans never go.

Bears and cats are a lot like people -- generally they keep their distance. If they are on a kill they have made then you need to keep yours too or they will fight you for it.

'Yote's are a lot like dogs -- very curious.

Bobcats are a lot like housecats -- very shy.

Yeah.........
My female Boxer learned about wildlife real quick.
She loved everyone........along with a skunk,a full grown wild hog and a porcupine.
Skunks are one of the few mammals that I do not love.

I do avoid them.

But my kitties have been sprayed often enough by skunks.

Has anyone won this clean debate yet? I hope I win and get some more trophy points.

Yes. It's not called "wilderness" because of the quantity of people there at any given time, including while one also is there. It's called "wilderness" if at least 5,000 acres or of sufficient size to make practicable their preservation and use in an unimpaired condition, and if they possess the following characteristics (as identified in the Wilderness Act):
  • The earth and its community of life are untrammeled by humans, where humans are visitors and do not remain.
  • The area is undeveloped and retains its primeval character and influence without permanent improvements or human habitation.
  • The area generally appears to have been affected primarily by the forces of nature, with the imprint of humans' work substantially unnoticeable.
  • The area offers outstanding opportunities for solitude or a primitive and unconfined type of recreation.

I'm a "mountain guy;" thus I don't know if that's so in desert wildernesses. Have you checked to be sure it is? In some places, Black Rock, for example, it's hard to know always what's "wilderness" and whats "NCA."

??? -- Should I infer from that reply that you have not confirmed the accuracy of your remark about motorized vehicles? Had your reply not been to a very short post themed around an inquiry, I wouldn't need to ask....but it is, thus I must...

??? -- Should I infer from that reply that you have not confirmed the accuracy of your remark about motorized vehicles? Had your reply not been to a very short post themed around an inquiry, I wouldn't need to ask....but it is, thus I must...
Ah! A debate. Keep it clean boys.

??? -- My puzzlement hasn't to do with the "keep it clean" part....

This thread started in Current Events and for some reason the mods moved it here to the clean debate forum. ;)

This thread started in Current Events and for some reason the mods moved it here to the clean debate forum. ;)
Oh...it was in CDZ by the time I discovered it. I too don't know why it's in the CDZ.

New Topics

Forum List

Back