Who Has Recognized The Mistake and Omission in John 3:16?

JJJ

Rookie
Apr 24, 2012
We all know that verse, and " ...that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." Did anyone but me ever notice John left something out? First, did you notice that John never promises the eternal life will be a good one, as those cast in the lake of fire for 1000 years will learn? Don't forget God's power to resurrect and grant eternal life can be used both ways. Second, believing in Christ alone is not enough. The Devil believes in Christ, but I can assure you does not have a good time ahead. I think this omission explains why John went on to write 1 John, which in Chapter 5 speaks repeatedly of "sins leading to death" that not even accepting Christ can save you from. I had a debate with a Godly mentor one day on what type(s) of sin this could involve, and came up with only one. It's not murder, since we know a genuinely repentent murder can be redeemed. The one and only sin this serious that I can see is rejecting Christ and his message. Reconciling all this, I concluded that to truly believe in Christ requires following his direction, words, and commandments, which are pretty clearly set out, and a lot easier to follow than the OT law of the S&P's. If one does not do so he/she either doesn't believe in Christ or has walked away from and rejected his message, in either case commiting the preeminent sin leading to death.

I have more thoughts like this and Biblical analysis and reconcilliation in a book I've posted at deliver-us-from-evil dot com. I would enjoy debating or discussing the issue with anyone who is interested. I'll start with the question of whether you ever viewed John 3:16, and John's promise of eternal life, as being the double-edged sword it really is? JJJ

We all know that verse, and " ...that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." Did anyone but me ever notice John left something out? First, did you notice that John never promises the eternal life will be a good one, as those cast in the lake of fire for 1000 years will learn? Don't forget God's power to resurrect and grant eternal life can be used both ways. Second, believing in Christ alone is not enough. The Devil believes in Christ, but I can assure you does not have a good time ahead. I think this omission explains why John went on to write 1 John, which in Chapter 5 speaks repeatedly of "sins leading to death" that not even accepting Christ can save you from. I had a debate with a Godly mentor one day on what type(s) of sin this could involve, and came up with only one. It's not murder, since we know a genuinely repentent murder can be redeemed. The one and only sin this serious that I can see is rejecting Christ and his message. Reconciling all this, I concluded that to truly believe in Christ requires following his direction, words, and commandments, which are pretty clearly set out, and a lot easier to follow than the OT law of the S&P's. If one does not do so he/she either doesn't believe in Christ or has walked away from and rejected his message, in either case commiting the preeminent sin leading to death.

I have more thoughts like this and Biblical analysis and reconcilliation in a book I've posted at deliver-us-from-evil dot com. I would enjoy debating or discussing the issue with anyone who is interested. I'll start with the question of whether you ever viewed John 3:16, and John's promise of eternal life, as being the double-edged sword it really is? JJJ
You are right, believing in Christ is not enough. You must have Faith. Faith ncan be such a hard concept for some. It means putting trust in someone who you have never met and know that you will not meet until you die. Maybe that is why so many do not have Faith. For me it is the way that makes sense. Maybe that comes from my Faith.

if you understand what eternal life is, which is not immortality, then you would realize that Eternal life can only be good.

if you understand what eternal life is, which is not immortality, then you would realize that Eternal life can only be good.

I think that's true....God talks of "life" as always good. Eternal life will only happen if you have faith....people with no faith will not see it.

OK, we have three straight responses saying faith in Christ is good. At that level, Faith means believing He was real, and that there is a God. The point of my post was that "faith" like that, alone, does not do it, or get people over the hurdle they need to soar over to get to the point of salvation. The devil, as I said earlier, both believes and has faith in Christ (meaning, he knows Christ exists) That doesn't mean that wicked soul spends eternity in Heaven. Can someone please address the real point of my post, which is that having real Faith or trust in the Lord requires following His teachings and commandments. Meaning, of course, that the investment banker who attends church on Sundays professing his faith in the Lord, after ripping people off every other day, week and month of his life, and who continues the same practices despite his so-called profession of faith, has about an ice-cube's chance in Hell of salvation. Let's debate this one, and move off the Baptist mantra that faith that there is a God is enough, in its-self, for salvation. JJJ

OK, we have three straight responses saying faith in Christ is good. At that level, Faith means believing He was real, and that there is a God. The point of my post was that "faith" like that, alone, does not do it, or get people over the hurdle they need to soar over to get to the point of salvation. The devil, as I said earlier, both believes and has faith in Christ (meaning, he knows Christ exists) That doesn't mean that wicked soul spends eternity in Heaven. Can someone please address the real point of my post, which is that having real Faith or trust in the Lord requires following His teachings and commandments. Meaning, of course, that the investment banker who attends church on Sundays professing his faith in the Lord, after ripping people off every other day, week and month of his life, and who continues the same practices despite his so-called profession of faith, has about an ice-cube's chance in Hell of salvation. Let's debate this one, and move off the Baptist mantra that faith that there is a God is enough, in its-self, for salvation. JJJ
You misunderstand, being saved you go to Heaven. The judgment seat of Christ is where he will hand out your crowns, or not. As a Christian, you are not immune from sin. You are just punished in another way then hell.

There's life and there's death.

The wages of sin is Death.

Whosoever believeth in Him will have everlasting Life.

What's missing again?

You misunderstand, being saved you go to Heaven. The judgment seat of Christ is where he will hand out your crowns, or not. As a Christian, you are not immune from sin. You are just punished in another way then hell.

Only 144000 will go to Heaven. The rest will be restored to earthly bodies of perfection and live on a restored earth. READ the bible.

Only 144000 will go to Heaven. The rest will be restored to earthly bodies of perfection and live on a restored earth. READ the bible.

Jehovah's' Witness?

It may be an excellent way to provoke independent thought and therefore effectively teach others the potential of their own faith(s), however, as my neurologist reminded me, we cannot learn lessons for others.

A countryman's god and application of such may, quite seriously, not be the city-dwellers. It would not make either wrong and it would also not necessarily limit the importance of one observing and even coming to respect the other's, rather doing such may prove to be most empowering to each of them, accordingly.

There are many methods of death and burial preparations, but perhaps far more importantly, there are many avenues in living life through which man is subject to the governing powers which represent god/God. Determining depths and levels of comprehensive accountability may be what separates the great men of renown from the rest.

Damn! Life will be like a soap opera!

Jehovah's' Witness?

Read the bible. It clearly states it in Revelations. It is not rocket science. And No I am a Mormon at the moment.

Another burst bubble, no one has ascended to Heaven yet, ONLY Jesus has done that. Also clearly stated in John.

Jehovah's' Witness?

Read the bible. It clearly states it in Revelations. It is not rocket science. And No I am a Mormon at the moment.

Another burst bubble, no one has ascended to Heaven yet, ONLY Jesus has done that. Also clearly stated in John.
I already nailed you on that BS in another thread. You should try reading the bible once in a while before you tell others to. You should know by now that the bible always contradicts itself.

2 Kings 2: 9* And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.
10* And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.
11* And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
12* And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

Joh 3:13* And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Last edited:

Are you an idiot?

What, pray tell, makes you think anyone cast into the lake of fire, which is the second death, will live for 1000 years? Comparing the belief in Jesus that is required to gain eternal life to anything the Devil believes is like comparing the scientific belief in dark matter to that of a gambler's belief in luck. One is based on a complete trust in something, the other is a matter of convenience.

Please, post more thoughts, I hoe the rest of them are not as absurd as this one.

Jehovah's' Witness?

No bubble bursted here.

But where is the 144.000 claim?

you're confusing belief and faith. They arent the same. faith is not just believing in someone, but putting your self and your future in their hands.
An example would be an exwife who cheated on you. you believe she exists, but you have no faith in her whatsoever

Let me understand this again

1)Having faith in people you do not know make sense

2)Faith in the claims of Jesus and his disciple help ensue eternal life

3)Eternal life is not immortality, but it is good because of what?

When I think about these arguments--never mind what the NT says---and you wonder why I think Christians are a bit nutty.

Try this with ponzi schemes and confidence men, only then will you learn my viewpoint!

Skepticism is healthy, folks! Good and Healthy!

You read the Bible, the 144,000 are the witnesses, not the number that are going to heaven.

Forum List

Back