Who Has Recognized The Mistake and Omission in John 3:16?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JJJ, Apr 24, 2012.

1. JJJ

JJJ Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We all know that verse, and " ...that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." Did anyone but me ever notice John left something out? First, did you notice that John never promises the eternal life will be a good one, as those cast in the lake of fire for 1000 years will learn? Don't forget God's power to resurrect and grant eternal life can be used both ways. Second, believing in Christ alone is not enough. The Devil believes in Christ, but I can assure you does not have a good time ahead. I think this omission explains why John went on to write 1 John, which in Chapter 5 speaks repeatedly of "sins leading to death" that not even accepting Christ can save you from. I had a debate with a Godly mentor one day on what type(s) of sin this could involve, and came up with only one. It's not murder, since we know a genuinely repentent murder can be redeemed. The one and only sin this serious that I can see is rejecting Christ and his message. Reconciling all this, I concluded that to truly believe in Christ requires following his direction, words, and commandments, which are pretty clearly set out, and a lot easier to follow than the OT law of the S&P's. If one does not do so he/she either doesn't believe in Christ or has walked away from and rejected his message, in either case commiting the preeminent sin leading to death.

I have more thoughts like this and Biblical analysis and reconcilliation in a book I've posted at deliver-us-from-evil dot com. I would enjoy debating or discussing the issue with anyone who is interested. I'll start with the question of whether you ever viewed John 3:16, and John's promise of eternal life, as being the double-edged sword it really is? JJJ

2. AmericanFirst

AmericanFirst Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,005
    You are right, believing in Christ is not enough. You must have Faith. Faith ncan be such a hard concept for some. It means putting trust in someone who you have never met and know that you will not meet until you die. Maybe that is why so many do not have Faith. For me it is the way that makes sense. Maybe that comes from my Faith.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    if you understand what eternal life is, which is not immortality, then you would realize that Eternal life can only be good.

4. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I think that's true....God talks of "life" as always good. Eternal life will only happen if you have faith....people with no faith will not see it.

5. JJJ

JJJ Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, we have three straight responses saying faith in Christ is good. At that level, Faith means believing He was real, and that there is a God. The point of my post was that "faith" like that, alone, does not do it, or get people over the hurdle they need to soar over to get to the point of salvation. The devil, as I said earlier, both believes and has faith in Christ (meaning, he knows Christ exists) That doesn't mean that wicked soul spends eternity in Heaven. Can someone please address the real point of my post, which is that having real Faith or trust in the Lord requires following His teachings and commandments. Meaning, of course, that the investment banker who attends church on Sundays professing his faith in the Lord, after ripping people off every other day, week and month of his life, and who continues the same practices despite his so-called profession of faith, has about an ice-cube's chance in Hell of salvation. Let's debate this one, and move off the Baptist mantra that faith that there is a God is enough, in its-self, for salvation. JJJ

6. AmericanFirst

AmericanFirst Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,005
    You misunderstand, being saved you go to Heaven. The judgment seat of Christ is where he will hand out your crowns, or not. As a Christian, you are not immune from sin. You are just punished in another way then hell.

7. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    There's life and there's death.

The wages of sin is Death.

Whosoever believeth in Him will have everlasting Life.

What's missing again?

8. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    So God believes in a minimum wages law?

Everyone dies.

Even Jesus died.

9. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296

It's whether one stays that way or not is the issue
    :razz:

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,928
    Only 144000 will go to Heaven. The rest will be restored to earthly bodies of perfection and live on a restored earth. READ the bible.