Who Goes to Church?

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
Who Goes to Church?
Older Southern Women Do; Many Catholic Men Don't

Analysis
by Dalia Sussman

N E W Y O R K, March 1 — Been to church this week? If you're an older woman in the South, chances are you have.

Not counting weddings and funerals, 38 percent of Americans say they go to religious services at least once a week. But there are big differences across demographic groups, with self-reported attendance peaking among older people, women, Southerners and Baptists, among others.
The biggest gap is between the oldest and youngest age groups. Sixty percent of people age 65 and older report attending religious services at least once a week; among 18 to 30-year-olds, just 28 percent go that often. Previous ABCNEWS polls, similarly, have found that religious belief and practice increase with age.

There are other factors. Nearly half of Southerners attend services weekly, substantially more than elsewhere. Forty-four percent of women go weekly, compared to 32 percent of men. It follows that, among Southern women age 45 and up, weekly church attendance soars to 68 percent.

Forty-seven percent of Republicans attend church regularly, compared to 38 percent of Democrats and 29 percent of independents. And there's a big difference between Catholic women (49 percent go to church weekly) and Catholic men (26 percent attend every week.)

For most Americans, going to religious services means going to church, since 83 percent of adults in this country are Christians. Forty-six percent of Protestants attend church at least weekly, peaking at 52 percent of Baptists. Just over two-thirds of Baptists are in the South, far more than elsewhere (the Midwest is next, at just 17 percent). That's one reason church attendance in the South is higher than elsewhere.

Gender Gap

Fewer Catholics, 38 percent, report attending church on at least a weekly basis. Men are the reason: As noted, 26 percent of Catholic men say they attend church that regularly, compared to 42 percent of Protestant men. There's no such difference between Protestant and Catholic women — about half in each group say they go to church at least once a week.

Weekly Church Attendance
All Men 32 percent
All Women 44

Catholic Men 26
Catholic Women 49

Protestant Men 42
Protestant Women 50

Half the respondents in this survey identify themselves as Protestants, 23 percent as Catholics and 10 percent as members of other Christian denominations. Eleven percent say they have no religion. Adherents to all other religions combined comprise just 5 percent of the adult population — not enough for separate analysis in a poll of 1,000 people.

Methodology

This ABCNEWS/Beliefnet poll was conducted by telephone Feb. 19-20, among a random national sample of 1,008 adults. The results have a three-point error margin. Fieldwork was conducted by TNS Intersearch of Horsham, Pa.

Could explain Dean's renewed embrace of religion lately. If he wants to capture in states in the south.

Interesting. I live in the most unchurched state in the US, and am in a band that attempts to reach out to young singles - the most unchurched demographic. Quite a challenge.

BTW, it's a cool band!

I think he started going to a Congregationalist church a while ago, but I don't think, listening to Dean's speeches, that he is a devout believer.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I think he started going to a Congregationalist church a while ago, but I don't think, listening to Dean's speeches, that he is a devout believer.
What in the world is a congregationalist?

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
Dean's bio says he is a congregationalist

Devout believers do not quit their churches in protest over the location of a bike path.

:p:

Dean's recent return to Jesus is a political tactic to appeal to the Southern vote.

What are the requirements for someone to be called "religious"? I'm a practicing Buddhist, am I not religious because I don't believe in Jesus Christ's divinity or attend church? Abraham Lincoln rarely attended church, does that make him non religious? Howard Dean may or may not be religious, but that's his own business. George Bush spoke at Bob Jones University to try and win Southern Votes, even though he's from a wealthy, Northern family, and was a carpetbagger in Texas. I have no problem with Dean talking about God in certain parts of the country if that will help voters hear his message, so long as he isn't a hypocrite, and I don't believe he is.

Congregationalists are religious people, as are Buddhists, Jews, Baptists, Methodists, Episcopalians,etc Just because they don't happen to subsribe your particular belief system hardly makes what they believe as Palestinian Jew said "a bunch of crap...and an excuse to say they are religious"

I read the link and, to be honest, it seems that congregationalists are christians who were fed up with man-made religious rules! I can't see criticizing someone for being one or not because they don't seem to have a requirement to be one- unlike the catholic church who won't consider you a member unless you donate money, without anonymity, for a period of years.

That's the way I read it as well. I see Congregationalists as being religious people who don't want to be told how to worship. Rather they do it in their own way and have their own very unique and personal relationship with their God. I don't see that as an "excuse to say they are religious" at all.

In my own defense, it seems like it meets a lot of agnostic standards, something I personally wouldn't classify as a religion. And I say it is an excuse for Dean b/c how can anybody know if he has or hasn't been religious? They can't! so I think it is a religion that he can use as an excuse. I didn't mean to include other people beside Dean in my statement.

Sorry for any offense.

Originally posted by Palestinian Jew
In my own defense, it seems like it meets a lot of agnostic standards, something I personally wouldn't classify as a religion. And I say it is an excuse for Dean b/c how can anybody know if he has or hasn't been religious? They can't! so I think it is a religion that he can use as an excuse. I didn't mean to include other people beside Dean in my statement.

Sorry for any offense.
No offense here. I'm a complete atheist so I can't be offended. But what I read on the link clearly stated that if you believe in Jesus, just because you aren't obvious about it, doesn't make you less believing. Isn't the belief in a "higher power" the common law definition of relgious?

Anthing can be a religion. A religion is simply a system of beliefs which usually has at its center one or more "dieties" which are the object of their worship. Some people subscribe to a religion without even realizing it. For example, there are many out there who worship money. Money is their God! Even Satan worshipers can be called "religious". Then there are those who claim to be Christian, but are hypocrites who, in reality, worship political power and ambition as their God.

Originally posted by Bullypulpit
Basically the same as Dubbyuh's conversion.

Bush's conversion to evangelical Christianity came long before his political aspirations. Hardly the same.

Now I have no way of knowing what Dean's religious beliefs are. He may be a committed Christian, though most committed Christians attend church on a semi-regular basis. He may be a committed Deist... I don't know. But if he's looking to pose as an evangelical Christian to pick up points in the South, most Southern evangelicals are going to be able to tell whether he's faking it.

I hate to tell you guys, but living in the deep south, I can tell you the majority of people I've talked to down here are only concerned with two things when voting: that their vote is for a Republican and God-fearing Christian. Most people I've been talking to aren't even bothering learning about the democratic candidates and are voting totally Republican.

That doesn't go on just in the South. I remember back when JFK was running for president - we were told (from the pulpit) to vote for him, to get the first Catholic into the White House. And I'm quite sure Gore got a large percentage of the Jewish vote strictly for his running mate. Also, go into any black area - they are all democrat - ask the candidate's name, they don't know - but he supports welfare!!

Forum List

Back