Who Gets Food Stamps? White People, Mostly

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON -- Gene Alday, a Republican member of the Mississippi state legislature, apologized last week for telling a reporter that all the African-Americans in his hometown of Walls, Mississippi, are unemployed and on food stamps.

"I come from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks,'" Alday said to a reporter for The Clarion-Ledger, a Mississippi newspaper, earlier this month. "They don't work."

Nationally, most of the people who receive benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program are white. According to 2013 data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers the program, 40.2 percent of SNAP recipients are white, 25.7 percent are black, 10.3 percent are Hispanic, 2.1 percent are Asian and 1.2 percent are Native American.

SNAPCharts1_1.png

More: Who Gets Food Stamps? White People, Mostly

Probably mostly in red states.

WASHINGTON -- Gene Alday, a Republican member of the Mississippi state legislature, apologized last week for telling a reporter that all the African-Americans in his hometown of Walls, Mississippi, are unemployed and on food stamps.

"I come from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks,'" Alday said to a reporter for The Clarion-Ledger, a Mississippi newspaper, earlier this month. "They don't work."

Nationally, most of the people who receive benefits from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program are white. According to 2013 data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers the program, 40.2 percent of SNAP recipients are white, 25.7 percent are black, 10.3 percent are Hispanic, 2.1 percent are Asian and 1.2 percent are Native American.

SNAPCharts1_1.png

More: Who Gets Food Stamps? White People, Mostly

Probably mostly in red states.

A large number of Americans are on Food Stamps.

Percentages flummox them
Except when it comes to red states having the highest rates of welfare and food stamp participation. Conservatives need to stop leeching off of blue states.

It doesn't seem as clear cut as you make it out to be. Also this data doesn't divide it between urban areas in the states (which skew prog/dem) and rural which skew lib/con/repub.

Welfare in the US Just the facts. unemployment gallon salary - Politics and Other Controversies -Democrats Republicans Libertarians Conservatives Liberals Third Parties Left-Wing Right-Wing Congress President - City-Data Forum

If a leftie ever learns math, I think I'll shit myself. Now, follow along. There are 46.2 million Americans on food stamps. If the OP is correct, that means that about 8% of white America receives food stamps. Of the 39.7 million blacks in this country, 11.9 million receive food stamps, or about 30%.

Which is higher? 8% or 30%

So tell me, who uses food stamps again?

Mark

It seems African American's are not doing so well on the Democratic party plantation.

White 72% of the population consuming only 40% of SNAP
Hispanics 16% of the population consuming only 10% of SNAP
African Americans 12% of the population consuming wow 25% of SNAP

Percentages flummox them
Except when it comes to red states having the highest rates of welfare and food stamp participation. Conservatives need to stop leeching off of blue states.

That myth is just that, a myth

Articles The Myth of Red State Welfare

Exploding the left s red state myths Rare

You forget that most of the welfare in the red states is concentrated in big city Democrat strongholds like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas Memphis, Miami etc.

Math is not the friend of the Moon Bats.

Forum List

Back