Who Fought and Won The American Revolutionary War -- Militias or Regular Army?

In reality

We owe our victory in the Revolutionary War to the French

Training a draftee army is more difficult and more expensive that a volunteer one.
At a time of crisis.

Arguing it is difficult and expensive to have the draft in place of the all volunteer military is an economic, a market based one. Whenever a war presents itself we always end ramping up spending and much more. It can and has been done. But the arguments for a draft are not based on a cost analysis of all volunteer versus draftees.
It' a bunch of arguments about what kind of a society we want to live in. We are....

The Widening Gap Between Military and Society

In Pittsburgh, Patrick Bayton went to a Saturday-night party where he saw two old friends as "losers." "Everything feels different," he said. "I can't stand half my friends no more." Frank DeMarco attended a street fair in Bayonne, New Jersey. "It was crowded. Trash everywhere. People were drinking, getting into fights. People with obnoxious attitudes, no politeness whatsoever." But, he said, "I didn't let it get to me. I just said, 'This is the way civilian life is: nasty.'"

"Today," says retired Admiral Stanley Arthur, who commanded U.S. naval forces during the Gulf War, "the armed forces are no longer representative of the people they serve. More and more, enlisted [men and women] as well as officers are beginning to feel that they are special, better than the society they serve. This is not healthy in an armed force serving a democracy."

In reality

Ultimately, yes. We have no way of knowing what any other outcome would have been like without their involvement at the end of the war, what other battles may have been won and lost. The colonists had fought a long hard war and Britain herself was losing hope and --- what would have been any peace term offers? Who knows?.

In reality

Ultimately, yes. We have no way of knowing what any other outcome would have been like without their involvement at the end of the war, what other battles may have been won and lost. The colonists had fought a long hard war and Britain herself was losing hope and --- what would have been any peace term offers? Who knows?.

I think the Colonial forces could have extended the war but I don't think they could have won it. Then it became a question of how long the British would have been willing to fight.
The French Navy and experienced Army turned the tide

In an ironic twst of history it seems that the Militia during the Revolutionary war was better trained and motivated than the poor bastards who ended up enlisting in the "Regular Army".

In an ironic twst of history it seems that the Militia during the Revolutionary war was better trained and motivated than the poor bastards who ended up enlisting in the "Regular Army".
Generally, the militia could defend behind fortifications if well munitioned with professional cannoneers in a support role. Put them on the open battle field, almost every last time they out ran the rabbits.

Study the animations at Revolutionary War - HistoryAnimated

Prelude to the War
1778-1781

They were probably from a higher strata of society and better educated

I don't think they were better trained, more skilled or especially motivated. Their primary motivation seemed to be staying out of harms way

In reality

I think the Colonial forces could have extended the war but I don't think they could have won it. Then it became a question of how long the British would have been willing to fight.
The French Navy and experienced Army turned the tide
They did indeed turn the tide. Maybe the USA would have looked more like Canada or Australia? wtf knows? But if we had we would have had single payer healthcare ages ago

:eek:

What mental health day clinic do you attend as a probationary outpatient?

Many of those poor bastards were from the militia. Better motivated in the earliest beginnings? Maybe. The myths you hold dear on the militia should make interesting reading: post some

The draft and national service would benefit the nation much more than the volunteer military does. 。。。。.

Even your straw man knows you have in no way made that case.
There will eventually be a consensus on this one. Not a scientific consensus ( :)), but a consensus. The battle will have to be taken up by a profile in courage or some opportunist after things get worse than they are now.

When you get statements like the one here which was linked to above -- trouble is brewing. Unlike most enlisted folks or officers of lower rank, we have this from a dedicated lifer, a professional officer. Speaks volumes

"Today," says retired Admiral Stanley Arthur, who commanded U.S. naval forces during the Gulf War, "the armed forces are no longer representative of the people they serve. More and more, enlisted [men and women] as well as officers are beginning to feel that they are special, better than the society they serve. This is not healthy in an armed force serving a democracy."

The draft and national service would benefit the nation much more than the volunteer military does. 。。。。.

Even your straw man knows you have in no way made that case.
There will eventually be a consensus on this one. ....

Ok, when?
There will eventually be a consensus on this one. Not a scientific consensus ( :)), but a consensus. The battle will have to be taken up by a profile in courage or some opportunist after things get worse than they are now.

The fastest horse says later. America is right now involved in more important things...like email servers, a wall to stop foreigners from overstaying their visas, bullying everyone into wearing flag pins on their lapels and dresses, coats, jackets, and teeshirts

Forum List

Back