Who does/doesn't pay taxes - poll

Was your net federal income tax $0 for ANY year in your adult life? (Excluding FICA)

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
i paid taxes when i was in high school too but i think i got 100% back for being a student.

I should have perhaps phrased it as "have you had any tax year that you'd not filed as a dependent where you've not paid net taxes?"

If you're a dependent you'll likely pay more taxes than making the same income as an indepedent.

Quite a few liberals on this board who have NEVER paid income taxes. I'd bet on that.

When I was very young, but since being married, with two kids. No chance!

Sure we get back money, but not all of it!

The only year I received a refund since about 1988 was tax year 2005... massive casualty losses. I owe EVERY year.

Quite a few liberals on this board who have NEVER paid income taxes. I'd bet on that.

Find the guy who is advocating higher taxes, you'll find the guy paying none or getting a nice refund each year.

Bet on it.

I have never gotten back more then I paid in, I have been paying taxes for over 19 years now. Also, if you receive the same amount back or more back then you paid in, that's not paying taxes, paying taxes is when you get less back then you put in.
I am one of those Federal Employees that got slammed on the pay raise for the next 5 years, but I wont complain, I agree we have to crack down on spending.

Last edited:
I have never gotten back more then I paid in, I have been paying taxes for over 19 years now. Also, if you receive the same amount back or more back then you paid in, that's not paying taxes, paying taxes is when you get less back then you put in.
Yeah. hence the term "net"

No, let me put it this way, if you paid $5000 in federal taxes, and received $6000 back because of a subsidy or because you have kids or whatever, that is not paying taxes because you got back more then you paid into it.
If you paid $5000 into federal taxes and got $3000 back, the feds kept $2000 of your money, that's paying taxes.
Were talking tax return time when you pay TAXES, not what comes out of your every paycheck. Either you've never paid a tax in your life or you misunderstood the post.

Last edited:

No, let me put it this way, if you paid $5000 in federal taxes, and received $6000 back because of a subsidy or because you have kids or whatever, that is not paying taxes because you got back more then you paid into it.
If you paid $5000 into federal taxes and got $3000 the feds kept $2000 of you money, that's paying taxes.
Were talking tax return time when you pay TAXES, not what comes out of your every paycheck.

Yeah, hence the term "net".

Just curious though - why not subtract everything else you receive from government that has economic value? Like use of the highway system, for example. Do you subtract the economic value of that when determining if you've paid net taxes or not?

If you paid $5000 into federal taxes and got $3000 the feds kept $2000 of you money, that's paying taxes.
Were talking tax return time when you pay TAXES, not what comes out of your every paycheck.

Can someone else please explain to this guy the concept of paying taxes? Let me try again.

They take taxes out of your check every time you get paid, right? And on April 15th of each year you have to file your tax return, if you receive more money back on your return then the total that you paid into it throughout the year, you did not pay taxes because you received more back then you paid in, do you get it yet?.
You're caught up on the whole NET thing, that works if your talking every pay day, we are talking paying taxes in regards of do you get back everything you paid in or more or less, Tax return time dictates if you paid taxes or not, not your every paycheck.

Last edited:

Can someone else please explain to this guy the concept of paying taxes? Let me try again.

They take taxes out of your check every time you get paid, right? And on April 15th of each year you have to file your tax return, if you receive more money back on your return then the total that you paid into it throughout the year, you did not pay taxes because you received more back then you paid in, do you get it yet?.
Right. THAT'S WHY I USED THE TERM NET INCOME TAX! Do you know what WORDS mean?

Right. THAT'S WHY I USED THE TERM NET INCOME TAX! Do you know what WORDS mean?

Did you get more back this year then you paid in?

can someone else please explain to this guy the concept of paying taxes? Let me try again.

They take taxes out of your check every time you get paid, right? And on april 15th of each year you have to file your tax return, if you receive more money back on your return then the total that you paid into it throughout the year, you did not pay taxes because you received more back then you paid in, do you get it yet?.
right. That's why i used the term net income tax! Do you know what words mean?

did you get more back this year then you paid in?

no

What kills me is the welfare family of 8 that pays no taxes whatsoever and gets like $6000 in a return, how the hell is that possible? Because they popped out kids they cant take care of we the tax payer has to pick up the tab on it.

I've paid taxes every year since I was 16 and the first year we bought our house we had enough deductions to be a little better than even.

Forum List

Back