Who do you trust more on health care?

Greenbeard

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2010
New England
Well, if you're like most Americans, the answer is Barack Obama.

Poll: Obama has double-digit advantage on health care, Medicare - POLITICO.com
More from the new CNN poll out this afternoon: President Obama has a double-digit lead over Mitt Romney on both the issues of health care and Medicare.

According to the poll, 54 percent of likely voters think Obama would better handle the issue of health care, compared with 45 percent for Romney. Before the conventions, on Aug. 22-23, Obama led by only 1 point on the issue, 49 percent to 48 percent.

On Medicare, the disparity is even more pronounced: Obama leads Romney by 11 points, 54 percent to 43 percent, compared with a 1-point lead back in the pre-convention August poll.

Health care is an issue on which the public has been deeply divided, even in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling earlier this summer. And Medicare, though it's been a traditionally winning issue for Democrats, is something Republicans have sought to play offense on after Paul Ryan joined the GOP ticket. These numbers suggest that, at least in terms of messaging at the conventions, Democrats have the upper hand on both issues.

Perhaps that's why Mitt is starting to embrace Obamacare.

Myself. I dont trust the government at all.

Odd that you dont mind the government telling you what to do with your body when it comes to health care

What we have here is the proverbial rock and hard place. Trust the gov't or trust the HC free market, which essentially means trust the gov't to regulate that so-called free market. In the final analysis, do we trust the gov't to run HC or do we trust the gov't to do a better job of regulating the industry. Personally, I don't think the gov't can do a reasonable job either way, their track record sucks. If it was me, I'd get the federal gov't out of the HC business and leave it to the states to try different solutions. Chances are somebody will arrive at the best solutions, money is getting tighter all the time.

Republicans say "let him die". That will cost more than preemptive health care.

In the final analysis, do we trust the gov't to run HC or do we trust the gov't to do a better job of regulating the industry.

The U.S. has opted for the latter. Competitive private marketplaces with consumer protections.

Wiseacre said:
If it was me, I'd get the federal gov't out of the HC business and leave it to the states to try different solutions. Chances are somebody will arrive at the best solutions, money is getting tighter all the time.

You and the President seem to agree on this point.

Here's former GOP Majority Leader Bill Frist explaining the advantages of state-based solutions like the ACA's exchanges (an approach that's been embraced by both Paul Ryan and, obviously, Mitt Romney):
State exchanges are the solution. They represent the federalist ideal of states as "laboratories for democracy." We are seeing 50 states each designing a model that is right for them, empowered to take into account their individual cultures, politics, economies, and demographics. While much planning has yet to be done, we are already seeing a huge range in state models. I love the diversity and the innovation.

Helping more Americans find and compare the private insurance they need and can afford should be an easy principle both political parties agree on.

Want a more conservative, small-business focused exchange that bans abortion coverage in all its plans? Try Utah and its state exchange, originally founded under Gov. Jon Huntsman. Think that President Obama missed a huge opportunity to steer the nation towards a single payer system? Try Vermont, which plans to ultimately transform its state exchange into a single payer system, Green Mountain Care, that will offer coverage to all state residents. With soaring health care costs one of, if not the most, dangerous threats to America's greatness, a new round of national health care experimentation is exactly what we need.

As has proven to be their custom, the Obama administration has provided additional opportunities and funds to help states pursue their own health reforms. Two examples:

It soon will once the IPAB gets going.

The IPAB doesn't tell you what to do with your body either.

Well, if you're like most Americans, the answer is Barack Obama.

Poll: Obama has double-digit advantage on health care, Medicare - POLITICO.com
More from the new CNN poll out this afternoon: President Obama has a double-digit lead over Mitt Romney on both the issues of health care and Medicare.

According to the poll, 54 percent of likely voters think Obama would better handle the issue of health care, compared with 45 percent for Romney. Before the conventions, on Aug. 22-23, Obama led by only 1 point on the issue, 49 percent to 48 percent.

On Medicare, the disparity is even more pronounced: Obama leads Romney by 11 points, 54 percent to 43 percent, compared with a 1-point lead back in the pre-convention August poll.

Health care is an issue on which the public has been deeply divided, even in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling earlier this summer. And Medicare, though it's been a traditionally winning issue for Democrats, is something Republicans have sought to play offense on after Paul Ryan joined the GOP ticket. These numbers suggest that, at least in terms of messaging at the conventions, Democrats have the upper hand on both issues.

Perhaps that's why Mitt is starting to embrace Obamacare.
Mr Romney is wrong. But not quite as wrong as Mr Obama.
The foolish have determined that government should be involved.

Lets look at a couple things.
The most highly regulated industries in the US (in no particular order) are...... Insurance, finance/banking, healthcare, energy.
The industries that (foolish) people squeal about for more regulation (in no particular order) are.....Insurance, finance/banking, healthcare, energy.

Wow, those dots aren't hard to connect.

Odd that you dont mind the government telling you what to do with your body when it comes to health care

The government is telling people that they need to have health insurance so that if they get sick, they are covered. It has nothing to do with the government telling anyone what to do with their body. Now I understand that there are people out there who would rather take their chances and not be forced into buying health insurance, but when everyone who is insured ends up paying for them in the end, do we not have an obligation to those who pay to see to it that those who don't want to actually do?

The government is telling people that they need to have health insurance so that if they get sick, they are covered. It has nothing to do with the government telling anyone what to do with their body....

It's telling people what to do with their minds (conspicuously attached to their bodies), what decisions to make, how to manage their future, how to manage their most personal expenses.

In the final analysis, do we trust the gov't to run HC or do we trust the gov't to do a better job of regulating the industry.

The U.S. has opted for the latter. Competitive private marketplaces with consumer protections.

Wiseacre said:
If it was me, I'd get the federal gov't out of the HC business and leave it to the states to try different solutions. Chances are somebody will arrive at the best solutions, money is getting tighter all the time.

You and the President seem to agree on this point.

Here's former GOP Majority Leader Bill Frist explaining the advantages of state-based solutions like the ACA's exchanges (an approach that's been embraced by both Paul Ryan and, obviously, Mitt Romney):
State exchanges are the solution. They represent the federalist ideal of states as "laboratories for democracy." We are seeing 50 states each designing a model that is right for them, empowered to take into account their individual cultures, politics, economies, and demographics. While much planning has yet to be done, we are already seeing a huge range in state models. I love the diversity and the innovation.

Helping more Americans find and compare the private insurance they need and can afford should be an easy principle both political parties agree on.

Want a more conservative, small-business focused exchange that bans abortion coverage in all its plans? Try Utah and its state exchange, originally founded under Gov. Jon Huntsman. Think that President Obama missed a huge opportunity to steer the nation towards a single payer system? Try Vermont, which plans to ultimately transform its state exchange into a single payer system, Green Mountain Care, that will offer coverage to all state residents. With soaring health care costs one of, if not the most, dangerous threats to America's greatness, a new round of national health care experimentation is exactly what we need.

As has proven to be their custom, the Obama administration has provided additional opportunities and funds to help states pursue their own health reforms. Two examples:

It soon will once the IPAB gets going.

The IPAB doesn't tell you what to do with your body either.

The IPAB's reason for existence is to cut the growth of Medicare costs, You can't add the millions of baby boomers to the Medicare system while gutting 716 billion dollars from the program and expect benefits to remain the same. The IPAB will tell your Dr. what treatment you can and can't have.

Republicans say "let him die". That will cost more than preemptive health care.

Actually, it is the democrats who will say "let him die", in the form of the IPAB that will decide who gets what treatment.

Insurance companies have been deciding for years, and it's rarely in favor of the patient.

Until Obama gave the the insurance industry PPACA, no one was required to do business with them. Now we are mandated by law to buy their shitty product for life.

Wow... Fuck Obama and the Democrats (and, to be fair, the Republicans for coming up with the idea) for selling us out that way. Really not much else to say.

Forum List

Back