Who do you think won the debate?

• McCain

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • Obama

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Tie

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
Let's be honest here... if 24 think Obama won and 11 think that it was a tie that's basically like saying Obama won considering that McCain should've won handily on this topic.

That's what every major pundit is saying today... if it's a virtual tie then the win goes to Obama.

Obama had to show up, look Presidential, show that he knew what he was talking about (or at least appear to know) and not make any major mistakes. He also needed to tie McCain to Bush, which he did successfully by reminding everyone that McCain voted in favor of Bush's budgets and with Bush's failed policies 90% of the time.
you cant add those that said it was a tie to obama without giving them also to McCain
:doh:

I think it was pretty much a tie. Neither had any knock out punches. I watched the first 2/3 of the debate on TV and concluded a tie. HOWEVER listening to the last 30 minutes in the car on the radio McCain sounded more Presidential and better. Obama sounded like a kid getting defensive and frustrated.

Both candidates did well but not as well as they could have. Obama's problem is he has trouble "closing the deal", McCain's problem is he says the right stuff it just lacks excitement.

Still I think McCain will see a "slight" boost in the polls making the race even closer. I still support McCain.

I was totally shocked at how deeply inarticulate both men were.

I always thought that Obama was brighter than that...perhaps he was a little nervous. As for McCain ..he has all the presence of a tired tortoise...so not presidential....and that squeaky little voice!

I think that it is a sad reflection on US Politics..if this is all that you can offer...one elderly midget who simply regurgitates what he has been told to say from previous scripts..and changes all questions into military answers...

and a surprisingly inarticulate Obama...who had all the ammunition to go for McCain but didnt use it..or was too scared to use it?

McCain was there for the taking... an extremely weak little opponent...but Obama failed to destroy him...as any reasonably intelligent person would have been able to do.

Poor Poor showing from both...

obvioulsy Obama won the debate...but that is hardly an achievement and against a senile, educationally very limited midget.

I believe McCain eeked out one... He started to shaky, but he dominated on actual points.

Obama may have "held his own" but it was with jabs and not any truthful or real substance. Obama did better than I expected because of his poise... but in actuality did nothing to impress

I believe McCain eeked out one... He started to shaky, but he dominated on actual points.

Obama may have "held his own" but it was with jabs and not any truthful or real substance. Obama did better than I expected because of his poise... but in actuality did nothing to impress

no truth? both candidates lied several times about the other's policies. and both screwed up on the georgia situation. it was a very painful debate to watch.

i would say mccain "won" in that he made obama seem inexperienced with his constant "you dont understand" line. at least for people who are easily manipulated by what they hear

you cant add those that said it was a tie to obama without giving them also to McCain
:doh:

I can when Obama should've been blown out of the water by McCain so the fact that people actually think it was a tie is a benefit to Obama not McCain. Obama is the inexperienced newcomer. McCain the veteran politican with experience on his side.... if they tied that means that either Obama rose to McCain's level of expertise or McCain sank to the level of Obama's inexperience...which would you prefer?

What the fuck are you talking about? Obama was right on the money. Here is an example:

1. After the bad guys are gone, Iraqi's will greet us as liberators
2. There won't be sectarian violence
3. It will be easy
4. The war will pay for itself
5. We will find WMD's.

McCain was wrong all 5 times.

I can't wait for the debate on the economy, because then Obama can bring up the fact that just a week ago McCain said our economy was strong. And today he still calls for less regulations and more tax breaks to the rich.

You are a buffoon.

Last edited:
a NEEWSWEEK BLOG?

:lol:

good source!!

Oh NOeZ! GOP shills insist Mccain won! :lol: Gosh, didn't see THAT coming a mile away like a retarded jolly green giant.

You people crack me up.

a NEEWSWEEK BLOG?

:lol:

good source!!

Oh NOeZ! GOP shills insist Mccain won! :lol: Gosh, didn't see THAT coming a mile away like a retarded jolly green giant.

You people crack me up.

Not all blogs are equal. :eusa_whistle:

Andrew Romano was named Associate Editor and Political Blogger in December 2007. He travels with the 2008 presidential candidates covering the daily roadshow for his blog, Stumper, and reports on politics for the National Affairs section of the magazine.

Prior to his current assignment, Romano was a junior reporter in Newsweek's New York headquarters contributing to the magazine's National Affairs coverage. Since April 2006, he has profiled Al Franken, interviewed Paul McCartney, reported on the Howard Dean alums in charge of John Edwards' and Barack Obama's Internet campaigns, revealed how MySpace and police officers are working together to solve crimes, pieced together the story of a cannibalistic New Orleans murder-suicide, discovered the U.S. military recruiting at paintball events and memorialized the Virginia Tech victims.

Previously, Romano had been a reporter-researcher in the magazine's Information Graphics department, where he conceived, reported and wrote "Swing State Watch," a weekly snapshot of the 2004 presidential contest. In addition, he tracked down and interviewed 30 of John Kerry's high-school classmates for a probing 2004 cover profile of the Democratic presidential nominee. He joined Newsweek as an intern in June 2004 after working as a stringer for New Jersey's Trenton Times.

Romano graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Princeton University in 2004 with an A.B. in English and a certificate in American Studies. A native of Medford, N.J., he lives in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Andrew Romano | Newsweek.com

New Topics

Forum List

Back