Who do you think is the better orator?

Blagger

Rookie
Sep 8, 2010
Under your skin.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLlJYFtiG-U"]Obama or Cameron?[/ame]

It's a rather long clip, the humour is weak, and the faux 'friendship' is at times excruciating, so try and stay focused.

But I think David Cameron is a much more fluid and confident public speaker than Barack Obama, especially under a media grilling. I'm not siding with Cameron because I'm British, but because at times Obama is very stilted and plagued by a glaring loss for words, whereas Cameron seems to absorb and processes an often loaded question with apparent ease.

I like to think I'm fairly familiar with American politics, but I'm curious to know if this apparent lack of oratorical confidence is a common trait in Obama, or just a one-off.

I look forward to your response, America.

Last edited:
Swagger, I'm actually going to watch the entire 32 minutes twice in a row, because I don't have a penis I'd like to go put inside a woman's vagina or anything :thup:

• Banned
So, apart from Paulie's bizarre admission, it would seem the consensus so far, however little it may be, is that Obama is a weak, though supposedly scripted, orator. Although, in truth, I was anticipating this response.

But you must forgive me, America, for I forgot to include the invitation for you to offer you own examples of what you regard as weak or inspiring oratory.

My American nomination will always be John F Kennedy. His delivery was always moving, clear and determined.

My British nomination is Tony Blair. He's a skilled, engaging and dilligent speaker.

Although Bush was never a very good speaker, he had a pursuasive way with words. How much his religious upbringing has to do with that, I don't know.

John Major was Britain's worse orator of recent history. The man radiated boredom.

Over to you, America.

So, apart from Paulie's bizarre admission, it would seem the consensus so far, however little it may be, is that Obama is a weak, though supposedly scripted, orator. Although, in truth, I was anticipating this response.

But you must forgive me, America, for I forgot to include the invitation for you to offer you own examples of what you regard as weak or inspiring oratory.

My American nomination will always be John F Kennedy. His delivery was always moving, clear and determined.

My British nomination is Tony Blair. He's a skilled, engaging and dilligent speaker.

Although Bush was never a very good speaker, he had a pursuasive way with words. How much his religious upbringing has to do with that, I don't know.

John Major was Britain's worse orator of recent history. The man radiated boredom.

Over to you, America.

I did a thread some time ago on Obama's speeches. With him, he speaks well only when the topic is something he cares deeply about. So, he's an average orator.

• Banned

Over to you, America.

I did a thread some time ago on Obama's speeches. With him, he speaks well only when the topic is something he cares deeply about. So, he's an average orator.

Thank you, California Girl, I wasn't aware of his, how shall we say, selective talent/commitment.

But what's your verdict on my other nominations and do you have any to add yourself? Oh, and the nominations don't have to just be past and present leaders. They can be whatever politician you like.

Here in the states there is a media template that states...Democrats are thoughtful/intelligent/brilliant...Republicans are reactionary/ignorant/backwards...It has been going on since Gerald Ford. I hate to say it but I think Chevy Chase's skits on Saturday Night Live started the whole thing as it was VERY effective in making Ford seem like a clueless dolt. Let me say that any man or woman that can stand the crushing media pressure that comes with being the leader of the country is, by definition, very intelligent and has a titanium constitution. Put yourself in their shoes and think about how you and your personal life would stand up to all the garbage they have to deal with :)

President Obama comes off pretty well in the video..as does David Cameron. They seem like competent politicians on top of their game and well versed in the facts.

While not to many around here will agree, President Clinton was a great speaker. He was extremely inspirational.

Ronald Reagan was also pretty good. Very charismatic.

Forum List

Back