WHo Do You Think Did Best in Tonite's GOP Debate?

As far as the deabte goes?

Mitt won because he got much, much more aitime than anyone else and he sounds really good saying nothing. The guys adept at identifying what Obama's doing wrong and then offering himself and his experience as a solution without saying a damned thing about what he'd "do" beyond generalities and bumber sticker talking points. he was only asked to explain himself once last night (by Newt) and he sounded just like a democratic. His best moment was in answer to Cains question where he basically said nothing but pointed out that simple sounds good, but simplistic ain't good.

Newt, Cain and Paul all held their own and niehter hurt nor helped themselves. Newts points were more insightful and thought out and his ability to communicate them was apparent, as always. Cain stayed on message which if you like 9-9-9 is all he had to do, but as always he comes with the bumper sticker and no substance to back it up. I get that he believes in it... why should anyone else? Paul was Paul, philisophically libertarian and I don't have a problem with that, but to go along with that philosophy you have to have a plan to impliment it... he doesn't.

Thought Romney solidified himself by being much more aggressive. Cain kept it simple/stupid which worked for Obama. I don't know what the heck Perry was doing!?? I don't know that he necessarily did poorly as he didn't do anything!!

As for the rest, its funny that others say Bachman did so poorly... I hate her, but she actually came off as knowledgeable a few times... not Presidential, but she showed some spark off the beaten dogma path. The upside down "999" might have been a little too much, though. I love Ron Paul, and I like most of what he has to say, but I think he came off a little batty. Gingrich, too. I thought Huntsman did well, but his points were mostly rehash. Santorum made some good points, but not sure he came off that well. If you could combine Huntsman and Santorum, you might have a real viable candidate.

OK - one last point on this 999 plan... I do not like Cain's retort of "you're incorrect" regarding Bloomberg's analysis of the plan, but let's be real about this plan... its a "leap of faith" deal which is what makes it "bold". The point is to relieve stress caused by the current tax system, and the benefit of doing that is not measurable. You can make some assumptions to try to measure its anticipated effectiveness, which is why I think Cain answered the way he did.... but, truly, who knows what will happen. Bold-yes, risky-yes, timely-perhaps. I've been on the fence about this idea since I heard about it a decade ago, but I do think that in terms of what government can do with the economy at this hamstrung point, it might be a good time to try it.

Alas, I think Romney gets the nod. Maybe Romney/Huntsman?

We must have been watching something different. I thought every single one was pathetic. Name a single "economic" plan that was revealed at this debate besides Herman Cain's upside down 666.

And what chance does that idiocy have of passing? A 9% tax on bread and milk? That's insane.

We must have been watching something different. I thought every single one was pathetic. Name a single "economic" plan that was revealed at this debate besides Herman Cain's upside down 666.

And what chance does that idiocy have of passing? A 9% tax on bread and milk? That's insane.

Why is it idiocy, because you haven't heard of it before? Its a flat tax, often called the fair tax. Not exactly the same thing as its not 100% consumption tax (sales tax). I think that's what is likely to make it work.

Santorum was just repeating history of what has been presented before in congress and not passed. Nor was it ever expected to pass, but the precedent has been set, and I think its unfair to lump this 999 plan in with the other unsuccessful legislation. In fact, I'm not sure Cain actually has to win the nomination for it to get traction.

Don't get me wrong, I have not been a supporter of the true Fair Tax, but with the government as hamstrung as they are to act, I think this idea merits serious consideration.

And I do think that is a key here, that these candidates also feel hamstrung to put forth any economic plan because they can't spend. Hats off to Cain to putting forward a serious effort. Let's see what the others come up with. Now I'm going to go order my $9.99 pizza! :lol:

I have to admit, it was pretty hilarious watching Perry coming to an "economic" debate without any "economic" plan at all. Oh, I only had 6 weeks. Not enough time for even an outline.

Before the debate, we already knew their plans. Tax cuts for the wealthy. Tax cuts for corporations. Since we are paying the lowest taxes in decades, not to mention the Bush tax cuts, it's hilarious Republicans insisting these "schemes" will make jobs. The reason they don't say "how" is because they hate being mocked.

Forum List

Back