Who Didn't See This One Coming? ( grr )

AquaAthena

America First...MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
Postmaster General John Potter said Tuesday that he intends to seek congressional approval to cut Saturday delivery as part of a wide-ranging plan to close a multi-billion dollar budget gap.

Though the idea of cutting service from six to five days has gotten a cool reception on Capitol Hill, Potter said that the plan would include enough flexibility so that customers who need Saturday service can get it and that this and other changes need to be implemented for the Postal Service to survive.

"We built a plan that we think is very reasonable. ... We intend to pursue that," he said. "It's a move that we simply have to make."

Much more : FOXNews.com - Postal Service Seeks Permission to End Saturday Delivery

It is inevitable that the government will cost more and do less .
Eventually we will cast it off or be crushed .

The Post Office is crying about losing money year after year, but they want to implement a GPS unit in the vehicles so they can micromanage the carriers when on the street. That is Postal Logic at its best.

The Postal Service has been one of the most efficient and large-scale efforts ever instituted in this country.

It still is, in fact. No-one else is offering to take over the hundreds of millions of pieces of mail delivery that the post office handles every day for what the post office charges.

It is unfortunate for them that e-mail is taking all their business, but you can't stop technology.

Try to send a piece of mail on Saturday via Fed-Ex for 41 cents (or whatever the cost of stamps is these days), they'll laugh in your face.

What the Post Office should really do is raise the cost of a stamp to competitive rates, especially the cost of all the damn Junk mail. If they raised the cost of all that bulk junk mail, they'd save on labor costs from the companies that can't afford it anymore, and it would stop filling up my garbage pail.

Last edited:
And may I say that while 90% of the people in my town stayed home from work or school the other day, due to the severe blizzard we got hit with (they declared a snow emergency), there was still a mail truck sloughing through the snow delivering mail to my house.

Fedex, meanwhile, stopped delivering early.

Last edited:
There is an act of congress mandating minimum fees for to door deliver of postal matter.

The thing is, all I get these days is legal notices from Washington County and advertising circulars. All my other stuff goes email. The bank has permission to send all my banking business by email, and that is where I get all my business correspondence.

You get rid of the minimum price law, I think we would see lots lower prices for express mail, but that is all there would ever be.

From what I understand, the US post office is the world's most efficient and cheapest. The German post office (known locally as the Bundespest) seems to be one of the most expensive.

The US mail moves an incredible amount of drek for really cheap cost over a huge area. Very little gets lost too. So it is the best and cheapest buggy whip dealer. I don't see much of a point for it any more.

There is an act of congress mandating minimum fees for to door deliver of postal matter.

The thing is, all I get these days is legal notices from Washington County and advertising circulars. All my other stuff goes email. The bank has permission to send all my banking business by email, and that is where I get all my business correspondence.

You get rid of the minimum price law, I think we would see lots lower prices for express mail, but that is all there would ever be.

From what I understand, the US post office is the world's most efficient and cheapest. The German post office (known locally as the Bundespest) seems to be one of the most expensive.

The US mail moves an incredible amount of drek for really cheap cost over a huge area. Very little gets lost too. So it is the best and cheapest buggy whip dealer. I don't see much of a point for it any more.

Yeah too bad we don't have the same legal protections using email as we do snail mail.

The Postal Service has been one of the most efficient and large-scale efforts ever instituted in this country.

It still is, in fact. No-one else is offering to take over the hundreds of millions of pieces of mail delivery that the post office handles every day for what the post office charges.

It is unfortunate for them that e-mail is taking all their business, but you can't stop technology.

Try to send a piece of mail on Saturday via Fed-Ex for 41 cents (or whatever the cost of stamps is these days), they'll laugh in your face.

What the Post Office should really do is raise the cost of a stamp to competitive rates, especially the cost of all the damn Junk mail. If they raised the cost of all that bulk junk mail, they'd save on labor costs from the companies that can't afford it anymore, and it would stop filling up my garbage pail.

You and I must have a different definition of the word efficient. Because my definition in no way includes a potential $7 Billion loss. Simply because they do it "cheap", doesn't mean they do it efficiently.

efficient - Definition of efficient at YourDictionary.com

efficient definition

ef·fi·cient (e fis̸h′ənt, i-)

adjective

1. directly producing an effect or result; causative; effective the efficient cause
2. producing a desired effect, product, etc. with a minimum of effort, expense, or waste; working well

Number 2 above is about how I would define efficient and I don't see a $7 Billion loss as fitting the bill here.

That being said, I appreciate the service I get from the post office and suspect the problem lies in our belief that the government should provide services nearly free of charge and not in their inability to perform the tasks at hand.

If the post office is losing so much money then they should raise their rates. Would $2 for a First Class letter suffice? I don't know, but maybe it would cut down on some of the junk mail. The post office is not running efficiently. In fact, it is running extremely inefficiently.

Immie

The reduction ad absurdum of where the government is headed is that we will pay enormous taxes to fund pension payout, entitlements, and interest on the debt - with no services whatsoever.

Next up for the post office - a special tax on those of us who don't use it, kind of like when a credit card company charges one for not using a card enough.

So what your saying is that we have to cut back on the Constitutionally mandated mail services because of lack of money, yet we have to borrow trillions of dollars right now and create new unconstitutional beaucracies to destroy our high quality health care?

We live in a reall screwed up world.

The USPS is to present day communications what Buggy Whips were to the auto industry.

Much of what it used to deliver is now done electronically - leaving it the junk mail business (which is also being replaced by the internet).

Shouldn't the Greeny Big Government types be pushing to get rid of it altogether given its role as a Dead Tree Pusher?

And may I say that while 90% of the people in my town stayed home from work or school the other day, due to the severe blizzard we got hit with (they declared a snow emergency), there was still a mail truck sloughing through the snow delivering mail to my house.

Fedex, meanwhile, stopped delivering early.

You are surprised that the Postal Service did what they are paid to do? Think of all those holidays in addition to Saturdays that we will have no service. Unless of course it is determined that we are one of those who are in need, and by whom, I must wonder will make that determination.

New Topics

Forum List

Back