Who Decides if You Can Afford to Buy Health Insurance with this new bill?

Those retorts don't answer the question.

WHO
gets to be "the decider"?

Fret not..Nobody expects that y'all can come up with the answer.

No matter what the bill says, folks will decide whether or not to purchase insurance.

How do I know?

Auto insurance is the law...

“Even in good times, many Americans drive without insurance. The Insurance Research Council's previous study, released in 2006, found that nearly 15% of drivers nationally were uninsured in 2004, up from about 13% in 1999. In some states, including Mississippi, California and Arizona, roughly a quarter of drivers weren't insured.”
And this is even though auto insurance is required in 48 states, costs less than health insurance, and jail time is possible!
Road Risks Rise as More Drivers Drop Insurance - WSJ.com

Or "the decider" will declare more and more people eligible for the gubmint handout, making private insurance unprofitable. Sort of a twisted converse ot the income tax code.

Bet on it.

Nail on the head, brother.

They have listed an inordinate number of mandates that must be covered, AND stated that if any aspect of your policy changes, bingo, you're on the gubmint plan.

Now, check this out:
Which costs the averge American more, entertainment and alcohol, or healthcare?

Which costs the average American more, Alcohol,gasoline and oil, or healthcare?

Which is more, food or healthcare?

http://www.mymoneyblog.com/images/0908/moneygo900.jpg
US Dept of Labor, april 2009
Here’s an interesting graphic of the spending breakdown for the average U.S. consumer. It’s based a theoretical household “unit” consisting of 2.5 people, not individuals. Looks like such a household unit spends approximately $50,000 per year. Click on image for larger version.
Income before taxes $63,091
Average annual expenditures $49,638
2.5 in the family
1.3 earners, 67% are homeowners
Entertainment $2698 5.4%
Food 6133 12.4
Alcoholic Bev. 457 0.9
Healthcare 2853 5.7
Tobacco 323 0.7
Housing 16,920 34.1
Transportation 8758 17.6
(gas&oil) 2384` 4.8
Average food spending was $6133, of which $3465 was spent on meals at home. Based on this data, one can conclude that the average consumer unit spends roughly $300 per month on meals prepared at home and roughly $225 per month on meals away from home.
Each year, the average American spends $1881 on “apparel and services”, for example, but only $118 on books.
The chart doesn’t include taxes because the government survey doesn’t include taxes. If the average consumer unit earns $63,091 but spends $49,648, there are $13,443 unaccounted for. The personal saving rate in 2007 was less than 1%, so I’m guessing that most of the unspecified money goes to taxes.

$.47 of every food dollar is spent on dining out
WikiAnswers - How much does an average american spend on dining out

Hard to pull up that info. There is a bill reconciliation committee with affordability in the name. There are 40 plus agencies being created here too. I'm guessing the Affordability Czar. The penalty can't exceed 2.5% of your income, apparently they think that is affordable. Seems like a $5,000 figure was floating out there at one point. Then there was a sliding scale based on income.

http://www.lewin.com/content/public...ctsofPublicPlan-Alternative DesignOptions.pdf

"Premiums for family coverage under the public plan would average $761 per month compared with $970 per month in the current private insurance market."

Here's your assumed coverage:

"We assume that the benefits provided under the public plan are the same as the BlueCross/Blue
Shield Standard Option offered to members of Congress and federal workers under the FEHBP
(as proposed by President Obama). These benefits include hospital care, physician services,
prescription drugs, substance abuse and mental health services and dental care. For in-network
utilization, there is a $15 copayment for office visits with no deductible. The plan includes a
$250 deductible and higher copayments for out-of-network utilization, up to a maximum outof-
pocket limit amount of $4,000."

http://www.lewin.com/content/public...ctsofPublicPlan-Alternative DesignOptions.pdf

"Premiums for family coverage under the public plan would average $761 per month compared with $970 per month in the current private insurance market."

Here's your assumed coverage:

"We assume that the benefits provided under the public plan are the same as the BlueCross/Blue
Shield Standard Option offered to members of Congress and federal workers under the FEHBP
(as proposed by President Obama). These benefits include hospital care, physician services,
prescription drugs, substance abuse and mental health services and dental care. For in-network
utilization, there is a $15 copayment for office visits with no deductible. The plan includes a
$250 deductible and higher copayments for out-of-network utilization, up to a maximum outof-
pocket limit amount of $4,000."

This was the outline of mandates in the original Senate Bill:

In the Kennedy-Dodd bill, the government would define a qualified plan:

A. All health insurance would be required to have guaranteed issue and renewal, modified community rating, no exclusions for pre-existing conditions, no lifetime or annual limits on benefits, and family policies would have to cover “children” up to age 26.

B. A qualified plan would have to cover “essential health benefits,” as defined by a new Medical Advisory Council (MAC), appointed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services. The MAC would determine what items and services are “essential benefits.” The MAC would have to include items and services in at least the following categories: ambulatory patient services, emergency services, hospitalization, maternity and new born care, medical and surgical, mental health, prescription drugs, rehab and lab services, preventive/wellness services, pediatric services, and anything else the MAC thought appropriate.

C. Health insurance plans in existence before the law would not have to meet the new insurance standards. This creates a weird bifurcated system and means you would (probably) be subject to a different set of rules when you change jobs

Understanding the Kennedy health care bill**|**KeithHennessey.com

Thing is, my employer would probably opt out of coverage and pay a percentage of the new costs. That would mean I save about $91 dollars a month in premiums, but be exposed to $2,000 more in out-of-pocket costs per year. Assuming I need that amount, I'm $75 a month worse off.

Or "the decider" will declare more and more people eligible for the gubmint handout, making private insurance unprofitable. Sort of a twisted converse of the income tax code.

Bet on it.

Since the subsidies go to pay the premiums for private insurance, how does that make private insurance unprofitable? If anything, it makes it more profitable by adding consumers.

Thing is, my employer would probably opt out of coverage and pay a percentage of the new costs. That would mean I save about $91 dollars a month in premiums, but be exposed to $2,000 more in out-of-pocket costs per year. Assuming I need that amount, I'm $75 a month worse off.

Of course, your employer could choose to opt out of coverage even if the bill doesn't pass, and you'd be left with no coverage at all.

How long do you think gullible rubes like you are going to allow subsidies to go to those eeeeevil insurance companies to make all them "obscene profits"?

Fuckin' comedy gold. :rofl:

The only gullible ones are morons like you who think insurance companies are looking out for your best interests. Keep on being a useful idiot though.

And who gets it for free???

Anyone know? Thanks.

As much time as you spend posting on here, why not simply read the bill and answer your own damn questions. How fucking lazy can you be?

Translation...

uhhhhhhhh...I don't know. And I don't feel like providing answers that probably are easy to google. Soooooo...go read 2000 pages and get back to me so that I can pretend like I did the research and know a lot of stuff

Since the subsidies are provided as a tax credit, it would be based on tax returns from what I can gather.

If anyone wants to read the exact language, it's in Title I, Subtitle E, Part I, Subpart A, Section 1401.

Forum List

Back