Who coined "separation of church and state?"

I agree. However, most of them did want to exclude religion from the cognizance of civil government.

Only inasmuch as to prevent a new Anglican church. NOT to remove religion from government.

In 1777, the Continental Congress voted to spend $300,000 to purchase Bibles for distribution in the nation.
You lie.
Proof positive you couldn't see truth if it bit you on the ass and repeatedly clawed your legs till you bled out.

It's sad how little people know about their own country's history. They also opened the very first session of Congress with a prayer session that lasted for hours. A high percentage of the founding fathers, I can't remember the exact number now, were pastors and had degrees in theology.

Proof positive you couldn't see truth if it bit you on the ass and repeatedly clawed your legs till you bled out.

It's sad how little people know about their own country's history.
They also opened the very first session of Congress with a prayer session that lasted for hours. A high percentage of the founding fathers, I can't remember the exact number now, were pastors and had degrees in theology.

Agreed.

The war with Britain cut off the supply of Bibles to the United States with the result that on September 11, 1777, the Continental Congress passed a motion that would have instructed its Committee of Commerce to import 20,000 Bibles from "Scotland, Holland or elsewhere." This, however, was not a final vote. A second motion was made to pass an actual resolution to import the Bibles, but was postponed and never considered again.
Robert Aitken (publisher) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In 1776, 11 of the 13 colonies required that one had to be a Christian to be eligible to run for political office."

Such requirements are unconstitutional even if you ignore the first

"In 1777, the Continental Congress voted to spend $300,000 to purchase Bibles for distribution in the nation."

Which was before we had a Constitution.

"Our DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE declares, "...the laws of nature and of nature's God... We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by the Creator with certain unalienable rights... appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions...""

The DOI is not a legal document and was penned by Jefferson who really didn't like government sponsoring religion.

Skimming through it, the rest of this seems to be basically "but so and so was religious" which does not mean they wanted the state to fund religious things.

Last edited:
Jefferson wrote about how the first amendment erects a wall of separation. However, nowhere in the US Constitution does it mention anything about separation of church and state.

Give unto Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser and give unto God what belongs to god.
or something like that.

It seems to me that to be a proper Christian you must also beleive in seperation of church and state.

"In 1776, 11 of the 13 colonies required that one had to be a Christian to be eligible to run for political office."

Such requirements are unconstitutional even if you ignore the first.

Actually, they were constitutional until the 14th ammendment, and the Supreme Court didn't rule on state religious tests until Torcaso v Watkins in 1961, and its ruling was based on 1st and 14th ammendment grounds, not Article VI.

Such requirements are unconstitutional even if you ignore the first

"In 1777, the Continental Congress voted to spend $300,000 to purchase Bibles for distribution in the nation."

Which was before we had a Constitution.

"Our DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE declares, "...the laws of nature and of nature's God... We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by the Creator with certain unalienable rights... appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions...""

The DOI is not a legal document and was penned by Jefferson who really didn't like government sponsoring religion.

Skimming through it, the rest of this seems to be basically "but so and so was religious" which does not mean they wanted the state to fund religious things.

Not to be too picky but it is not "the creator" but rather their creator. I take this as meaning everyone is entitled to believe in their own form of a creator.

It's sad how little people know about their own country's history. They also opened the very first session of Congress with a prayer session that lasted for hours. A high percentage of the founding fathers, I can't remember the exact number now, were pastors and had degrees in theology.

Three of 55 is not a high percentage. Nobody is talking about taking away religious value from government, only limiting the connection between government and organized religion.

Three of 55 is not a high percentage. Nobody is talking about taking away religious value from government, only limiting the connection between government and organized religion.

There is nothing in the constitution that restricts religion in the USA. Government is to be restricted. Religious freedom is not. Perhaps if you give Del another blow job he will change the constitution for you.

Give unto Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser and give unto God what belongs to god.
or something like that.

It seems to me that to be a proper Christian you must also beleive in seperation of church and state.

Separation of church and state is a Christian principle. Christ came to rescue the lost and clueless, not to get them registered to vote or signed up for food stamps. ;)

Forum List

Back