Who coined "separation of church and state?"

Froggy, we already have our spiritual, religious, and ethical values in our government. No true American wants an official, organized religion influencing our government, which I think you agree with. The issue is that a few Americans are ignorant on this subject (Christine O'Donnell in debate is one). A much more serious issue is that people like Jack Fate will use religion as a propaganda tool to gain power, then such people will use it against the people.

So your satisfied with a this country (that used to be a world leader) as it continues to go downhill.

Let's face facts, Revere is a liar. He is a LIAR! The real question to be asked, why does he lie?

he says facts don't matter. that's why he lies. i think he's a troll.. .

maybe he's sarah palin's speechwriter.

He could be Obama's. Let's face facts..... all politicians twist facts.
When confronted with FACTS to debunk their LIES the subject NEVER stops and admits their lie and move on. Instead the subject ALWAYS defers to their failed default defensive tactic...The "well they all do it" meme.

:rolleyes:

Toast I say....TOAST!!!!

49izadw.gif

Froggy, we already have our spiritual, religious, and ethical values in our government. No true American wants an official, organized religion influencing our government, which I think you agree with. The issue is that a few Americans are ignorant on this subject (Christine O'Donnell in debate is one). A much more serious issue is that people like Jack Fate will use religion as a propaganda tool to gain power, then such people will use it against the people.

So your satisfied with a this country (that used to be a world leader) as it continues to go downhill.

You have posted a non sequitur, froggy.

In 1777, the Continental Congress voted to spend $300,000 to purchase Bibles for distribution in the nation.
You lie.

What Jack Fate seems to have forgotten (if he knew in the first place), 1777 is a decade before the Constitution and about 14 years before the 1st amendment was written. So.....the 1st amendment certainly would not apply.

Hugo Black.

Supreme Court Justice.

Former Klansman.

Hated Catholics.

Democrat.

John Locke. Over and over and over and over.

The toleration of those that differ from others in matters of religion is so agreeable to the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and to the genuine reason of mankind, that it seems monstrous for men to be so blind as not to perceive the necessity and advantage of it in so clear a light. I will not here tax the pride and ambition of some, the passion and uncharitable zeal of others. These are faults from which human affairs can perhaps scarce ever be perfectly freed; but yet such as nobody will bear the plain imputation of, without covering them with some specious colour; and so pretend to commendation, whilst they are carried away by their own irregular passions. But, however, that some may not colour their spirit of persecution and unchristian cruelty with a pretence of care of the public weal and observation of the laws; and that others, under pretence of religion, may not seek impunity for their libertinism and licentiousness; in a word, that none may impose either upon himself or others, by the pretences of loyalty and obedience to the prince, or of tenderness and sincerity in the worship of God; I esteem it above all things necessary to distinguish exactly the business of civil government from that of religion and to settle the just bounds that lie between the one and the other. If this be not done, there can be no end put to the controversies that will be always arising between those that have, or at least pretend to have, on the one side, a concernment for the interest of men's souls, and, on the other side, a care of the commonwealth.

The commonwealth seems to me to be a society of men constituted only for the procuring, preserving, and advancing their own civil interests.

John Locke: A Letter Concerning Toleration

Last edited by a moderator:
The forefathers did not seek to remove God from Gov't, they want to stop the power the church had on Gov't . We need to put God back in

Absolutely not. That is what your church, synogogue, mosque, coven, temple is for.

And you can go fuck yourself. You're a damn liar. Congress can make no law establishing a religion. That means the American people are free from congressional authority concerning their religion. There is nothing in that claus that say to keep our religion in our church, synogogue, mosque, coven, or temple.

You're a lying idiot.

Hugo Black.

Supreme Court Justice.

Former Klansman.

Hated Catholics.

Democrat.

The Civil Govt. tho’ bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy possesses the requisite stability and performs its functions with complete success; Whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the Priesthood, & the devotion of the people have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the Church from the State. (James Madison, letter to Robert Walsh, March 2, 1819)

Yes, that is THE James Madison, of founding fame...

Revere, you are almost as retarded as the baldhead cocksucker in your avatar.

From Jeffersons letter:

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should “make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."

It's not; Seperation 'of' church and state. But that's basic symantics, it means the same thing.

Hugo Black.

Supreme Court Justice.

Former Klansman.

Hated Catholics.

Democrat.

Actually, Hugo Black never said it. He quoted Jefferson saying "separation between church and State" in the Everson decision. Justices Rutledge and Jackson did use the phrase "separation of church and State," in Everson but they weren't the first. The earliest I can find is President Tyler in a 1843 letter saying: "The United States have adventured upon a great and noble experiment, which is believed to have been hazarded in the absence of all previous precedent – that of total separation of Church and State."

Last edited:
The forefathers did not seek to remove God from Gov't, they want to stop the power the church had on Gov't . We need to put God back in

Absolutely not. That is what your church, synogogue, mosque, coven, temple is for.

And you can go fuck yourself. You're a damn liar. Congress can make no law establishing a religion. That means the American people are free from congressional authority concerning their religion. There is nothing in that claus that say to keep our religion in our church, synogogue, mosque, coven, or temple.

You're a lying idiot.

Oh dear....you sound like the kind of "I'm gonna shove my religion down your throats" kind of person the First Amendment was written to protect us FROM. Seriously. Such anger over me simply suggesting that you have churches, etc. for religion. Appparently stopping there isn't good enough for the likes of you. :doubt:

Here is a good description of what the OP is repeating, aptly called a MYTH:

The Everson myth

Anti-separatists, reluctant to admit that separation of Church and State is a foundational principle of the USA, have developed their own myth as to the concept's origin. (We should note in fairness that this is not true of all anti-separationists; but the myth is sufficiently common among them to deserve notice on this wiki.)

They begin, innocuously enough, by noting that the phrase "separation of Church and State" does not appear in the Constitution. This is true, and no-one has ever said differently. Just as the phrases "separation of powers" and "right to a fair trial" appear nowhere in the Constitution, nor does the phrase "separation of Church and State"; this point, such as it is, we concede.

From that point on the narrative of anti-separationists diverges from the truth. According to their origins myth, the idea that the Establishment Clause implies separation of church and state was introduced in 1947 by the Supreme Court in the case of Everson v. Board of Education.

This myth has various advantages for them:

It allows them to deny the actual origin of the doctrine of separation with the Founding Fathers, and allows them to present it as a relative novelty in the courts' understanding of the Constitution.
It allows them to blame the separation doctrine on the "activist judges" that figure so prominently in the demonology of the far-right.
It allows them to blame President Franklin D. Roosevelt for appointing "radical judges" to the Supreme Court; FDR is another prominent figure in the conservatives' rogues gallery.
The author of the majority opinion in Everson, Justice Hugo Black, besides being an FDR appointee, was also briefly a member of the Ku Klux Klan, which makes him an ideal target for an ad hominem argument. In Black's defense it should be said that he was far from sharing the racist views of the KKK; but by the same token his association with the Klan must be condemned as a shameless and deplorable attempt to grub for the votes of racists.
The great disadvantage of this origins myth is that it is demonstrably false in almost every particular.

Separation of Church and State - SkepticWiki

You have posted a non sequitur, froggy.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: quickly somoeone will come in and tell you fallacies don't matter if they mess up their talking point. CG is good at it

Forum List

Back